"Steam Holiday Auction" Event On-Hold - No Longer

Omnomnick

Retired Lead Content Creator
Staff member
Reaction score
Updated - 12/12/2014
The Steam Holiday Auction has since been restarted, and all previously placed bids have been returned to their original owners. New bids may now be placed ahead of Monday's official start time.

Original Post
Shortly after the reveal of Valve's brand new "Steam Holiday Auction" event yesterday evening, it would appear numerous users began identifying ways of quickly and unfairly boosting their gem count via previously unseen exploits. As a result, users abusing such exploits were able to unfairly gain an advantage in the upcoming bidding wars, easily surpassing those collecting gems through legitimate means and effectively securing them free games.

Yeti.PNG
In order to combat this potentially serious problem ahead of the auction's scheduled opening on Monday, December 15th, Valve has placed the Holiday Auction on-hold, claiming it will "return shortly" now the "Yeti has been contained". Once Valve have fixed the problematic exploits, the auction will be entirely reset, reimbursing all gems purchased from the Community Market, returning all crafted gems, and reposting all auctions as a means of rebalancing the playing field.

We'll be sure to let you know when the auction is up and running again.

Last edited:
I first thought it will be impossible to win an auction cause there are enough crazy people on steam with millions of steam items, but those people already have tons of games I guess. Anyway I have bids for 6 games where Im the 30-50 bidder and for most of them I only bid 250 gems or so. I hope the bids dont go crazy after the first auctions are over.
The best thing to do would be to try to become the 99th bidder wouldnt it? Cause that way you use very low amount of gems, but of course its more risky.

I honestly don't know how to feel about the auction house. It seems unfair for those who don't really have a lot of items.

I honestly don't know how to feel about the auction house. It seems unfair for those who don't really have a lot of items.
you dont say? On Ebay I get everything for free if I have no money, stupid Valve so greedy.

Back