Steam In-Home Streaming Beta Coming "Later This Year"

Omnomnick

Retired Lead Content Creator
Staff member
Reaction score
Valve are continuing to push further into the living room with In-Home Streaming, an upcoming Steam feature set to allow users to stream their game library wirelessly to another machine running Steam anywhere in the home. While technical details regarding the feature has been rather scarce since the Steam Machine and SteamOS reveals several months ago, Valve have today announced a new invite-only beta for the service, set to begin "later this year".

in-home-streaming-png.24531

The beta will begin by inviting a randomly selected, undisclosed number of users from the brand new "Steam In-Home Streaming" Steam group. Few other details regarding the beta are currently available, but we'll be sure to let you know if and when we learn more. We recommend joining the Steam In-Home Streaming group to be in with a chance of becoming one of the first users to explore this exciting new feature.

Attachments

• In-Home Streaming.PNG
    In-Home Streaming.PNG
    10.4 KB · Views: 10,775
Well, I've joined, but I only own one computer, so I won't be able to do much if I'm selected. Guess I should just hope that, if I get in, I'm also selected for the Hardware Beta. The odds are totally in my favor.

this will be good, Miracast is the future.
we all prob need a Miracast certified WiFi tho >___<
i know gabe talked about the subject in an older vid with intel i believe. and he said that it was easy to just use Miracast for that sort of thing.
really hope the Shadowplay function of Nvidia cards will support this streaming thing aswell for lower performance hit.

Miracast may be in the future but for the Beta I'd get another HDMI cable ready.

It'll be interesting to see what the LAN requirements are; hope its not as strict as nVidia's Gamestream. But then again I think the tech will be very similar (the same?!) as nvidia's. For the Beta anyway.

And another question. So there'll be a Beta Steam Machine and Beta Streaming this year. No public SteamOS release this year? (or perhaps it'll be a Streamless SteamOS that is released...)

If they can do that, does that mean they can stream console games as well? That would be pretty bad ass.

In-home-streaming is a little confused at the moment. What's its purpose? Its for people with Windows or Mac computers running Windows or Mac games using Steam client. Games are streamed from these computers to a Steam Machine (in the living room, running SteamOS and connected to the TV). Definately NOT for console games.

Back