Steam Music Desktop Interface Released + New Steam Controller Revealed

Omnomnick

Retired Lead Content Creator
Staff member
Reaction score
A new Steam update released earlier today has finally introduced the promised Steam Music desktop interface, allowing users to access their favourite albums and songs using Steam without having to access Big Picture. Originally released into a Steam Client Beta in early February 2014, Steam Music allows users to interact with their music collection without having to alt-tab to an external program or having to exit a game.

SteamMusic.PNG
SteamMusic2.PNG

The Steam Music interface can now be accessed via the new "Music" Library tab or the Steam Overlay, something previously only possible while using the controller-friendly Big Picture Mode. Music can then be shuffled, skipped, paused, or changed all together. It's been a long time coming, and it definitely brings Steam one step closer to becoming a fully fledged multi-media platform. A second update has moved the Steam Music service into an open beta, removing the need for an invitation. This likely means Valve is in the final stages of testing, so expect to see a full release of Steam Music right around the corner.

Today's Steam Client Beta update also introduced several other neat improvements, including changes to the Game Library interface (games can now be assigned to more than one category and multiple games can now be selected at the same time using Shift+Click and Ctrl+Click), increased performance for Steam's embedded web browser, and a variety of fixes for In-Home Streaming and the Big Picture Mode. This update has also concluded support for the Mac OS X 10.5 operating system, so make sure you upgrade if you haven't already.

While not officially mentioned, a new design for the Steam Controller has also been found within the updated files (Steam\tenfoot\resource\images\library folder). Known by the codename "Freeman", the new design appears to feature a new analog stick beside the two track pads the Steam Controller has become known for. It's likely Valve aren't quite ready to talk about this latest prototype right now, but it would definitely explain why the controller's release has been pushed back until at least 2015.

ControllerNew.jpg

For a more detailed look at the changes introduced with this new Steam Client Beta update, check out the official changelog or the desktop interface announcement post over on the Steam Music community group. If you want a closer look at the Big Picture version of the Steam Music interface, be sure to head on over to our now-slightly-outdated ValveTime Spotlight episode on the subject!

Last edited:
I don't like where the controller is going, it's looking less revolutionary. I sincerely hope they keep the trackpads and don't use analogue sticks instead.

they keep the trackpads as you can clearly see, but they also added 1 analog stick. Imo this is a GREAT change. Makes the controller much more versatile.

I don't like where the controller is going, it's looking less revolutionary. I sincerely hope they keep the trackpads and don't use analogue sticks instead.
It does feel a little less special without the middle touch-pad... but the analog stick is a nice addition. I mean, it's a tried and tested tool. And I know there must be some games out there that are better suited for an analog stick.

Will they just give the **** up on the weird trackpads already. I couldn't disagree more with the diehards on that one. Maybe, just maybe, they'll prove me wrong -- after all, I've yet to play with one yet. Just generally speaking, those sorts of thing seem gimmicky. The PS4 one has proven as stupid and useless as their Six Axis stuff.

I see no reason to move on from my 360 controller for Windows. X-input is what almost all devs are supporting anyways.

Also the music interface is garbage. Complete garbage.

Cool, yeah, I think it was around before the first world war but before the second. Or was it during the Holy Roman empire? Jeez I forgot! It's almost like they've been cashing in on competitive properties and developing platform software and idiotic hardware these days!

last game they released was a year ago. But as long as it is not HL3 it doesnt count as a game does it?

Also the music interface is garbage. Complete garbage.

Yeah I don't like it. Why can't it be organized by song names? I don't want to have to select an album, then a song. I just want a big list of all the songs on my PC to listen to on shuffle.

Remember when Valve made games?

The problem is that when Valve makes a game it will undoubtedly make a shit-ton of money; and when it's a F2P with an in-game store, it will make a metric shit-ton of money. So they could just sit and develop games/consoles/controllers/OSs with pretty much unlimited funding.

Back