Steam Questions

Kamakiri

Spy
Reaction score
If anyone knows the answer to the below questions please tell me the answers. I emailed them to Gabe but no response yet but i want to know the answers. :/

Q: If we download Hl2 on Steam would we get emailed a cd-key?

Q: Would we be able to download a full copy of hl2 for future installs. Would it be a cd image?

Q: Would it be cheaper due to there being no package/manuals? And how much by?

Q: Is the release of HL2 planning to be a same world wide release date? I live in Australia and this would be great.

A: Not sure about this im guessing its a yes

A: NA

A: Possibly we don't know how much yet.. or atleast I don't

A: If valve is gonna live up to what they said? Yes.

1. Email is insecure, so i would say that would be a no.

I think Steam would generate a cd-key from your steam client, and for what you have bought through steam.

2. No it copies it down to a directory. It will be able to run without cd.

3. Normally it would.

4. Not sure about that, but i do believe i was told it would be worldwide, never the less, it will be worldwide when released on steam.

First, I would rather buy the full version then download through Steam and have it check Steams servers everytime I go to play. What if by chance my internet connection goes down , which happens frequently, then I won't be able to play.. Having a hard copy would insure me that I will always be able to play the game. Secondly, I am sure that it will be cheaper if you purchase it through their Steam servers, mostly due to it cutting out the middle man, the retail stores. Look for it to be around 20 dollars cheaper at least. If it's not much cheaper then why bother?

As for the cd Key issue, Steam will just use your user ID and Password as knowing you have purchased the game through them allowing you to play on any computer, but only one computer per user id of course. This will all but eliminate illegal copies. I am sure all the add ons and such and the special STEAM only additions will lure some hard core HL fans to purchasing through STEAM and with the amount of Warez out there, this will make them more money then just releasing retail versions.

I am probably going to purchase both through Steam and retail just in case for some unforseen reason I cannot connect to my 'always connected' cable company and still get to play what will be the best game ever.

The internet is going to be pretty damn slow the day HL2 is released.

Originally posted by Kamakiri
If anyone knows the answer to the below questions please tell me the answers. I emailed them to Gabe but no response yet but i want to know the answers. :/

Q: Would we be able to download a full copy of hl2 for future installs. Would it be a cd image?

It wouldn't be a CD image, but you will be able to burn it to a cd for safe keeping. There are certain files that you'll have to burn, it should tell you in a txt document what files to burn that you get when dl'ing HL2.....at least that's wat I remember seeing somwhere...

Thanks for your help peoples

Yes I wonder how slow the internet is going to be. Steam will be to a crawl I would imagine.

Back