Steam servers down?

Sandman

Reaction score
I can't log onto Steam. It gets stuck at the "Checking for Updates," and then says it can't connect to the Steam server and to try again later, and the website seems to be down.

I get the same exact problem. What a great idea to make a program on my computer impossible to run without them having their servers up. I mean, what is the point of this?

They could easily make it so that the program starts up, and then let's you know that it can't get a net connection via a different icon or something. That at least wouldn't act like an ERROR when their servers are down. I want to be able to start programs on my computer. If then a net connection is required to play a net game, that's fine, but don't set up the program to be so crash prone.

Obviously people have started to spam valvesoftware.com/steampowered.com with page refreshes looking for the "soon to be released" SDK :) lol (joking, of course)

Apos, isn't that what VALVe plans to do in the near future?

I don't know what they plan to do. They definately SHOULD plan to make it so that I don't have to restart steam everytime I gain or lose a connection to their servers.

I doubt they are doing anything, or at least anything that directly concerns us. This happens periodically all the time, with no particular fanfare afterwards. Sometimes they have to test things, and sometimes things break when no on is on duty to fix them.

Well.

This is a momentous f**k up!! Valve should stop giving the anti-steam people more fuel. This outage will be referred to in every anti-steam post for the next few years.

I look forward to that :)

Steam is working again :)

pple just need to be patient.. i can't even imagine all the impatient bastards on HL2's release day.. its gonna be choatic.. for sure.. :|

Dr. Freeman said:
Steam is working again :)

pple just need to be patient.. i can't even imagine all the impatient bastards on HL2's release day.. its gonna be choatic.. for sure.. :|

totally I hear ya man.

Mr. Redundant said:
totally I hear ya man.

where the hell have u been hibernating eh?! :p

get online more often ffs!! :angry:

and thats AN ORDER :dork: :)

Pretty damn annoying considering all i want to do is test my new Sven Coop 3 map...

Farrowlesparrow said:
Pretty damn annoying considering all i want to do is test my new Sven Coop 3 map...

I finally decided to download the new version of Sven CO-OP today - only to be met with an error from Steam.

Farrowlesparrow said:
Or for that matter posting such an off topic remark...
I had nothing to add to the topic other than what I already said, sorry :x I saw his post and thought it was mine, that's all. So I commented

Steam isn't down for me anymore, not sure about everyone though.

They posted a news item about this on steampowered: at least an improvement in keeping people informed of the problem.

According to their website they're being hit with a ddos attack.

Yes. I agree.

That little update was much appreciated. Sorry if that sounds sarcastic but i'm being serious. Valve actually coming outright and saying they were DoS attacked is a step in the right direction. Thankyou for telling us what the hell happenened!!

I really hope they decide not to require an internet connection to play half life 2.

Quixote said:
I really hope they decide not to require an internet connection to play half life 2.

Gabe already talked about this.. in the first few weeks of HL2's release u might need a net connection.. but he stated that once they have worked out all the problems that may arise.. a net connection for HL2 will not be a requirement

Dr. Freeman said:
Gabe already talked about this.. in the first few weeks of HL2's release u might need a net connection.. but he stated that once they have worked out all the problems that may arise.. a net connection for HL2 will not be a requirement

and thats only once you connect online (to play online) you could in essence play the whole single player portion of the game without touching online (which is what I plan to do... you know dont wanna spoil anything till I seen the whole single player)

@Dr. Freeman: sorry I havent been around man.... lots of stuff happening I should be back soon, talk to you then.

Back