Steam Skins!

Acepilotf14

Sucked so much dick for this title
Reaction score
Apparently it's not too hard to skin Steam, baseed on how long it took a friend to do it for me. lol silly defaults!

27xm2bt.jpg

Horo~

Now why don't you tell us how to do it, huh?

Because
it's more fun to showoff than help out?

Wow, never knew you could do that.

After some relentless nagging from Ace, I finally agreed to post.

But, considering how lazy I am, instead of giving you a COMPLETE step-by step, I'm just going to upload the files you need.

http://www.filefront.com/14203203/Slate Colored.rar
(Drop the 'Slate Colored' folder into your 'C:\Program Files\Steam\skins' folder.)

Now, a few things to know, in order to fully make this yours.

--->
Adding your own background image!​

This, is actually surprisingly simple, provided you download the file above. All you really need to do is edit the 'Stripes.tga' file in 'Steam\skins\Slate Colored\Graphics', and replace the included image with an image of your choosing. A few things, however, you should know.
For untiled images, the image size should be moderately large, and somewhat proportionate to your desktop resolution.
For example, Ace's Horo image, was '1680x1200', and his desktop resolution is '1900x1200'. Which means, as long as he doesn't maximize the window, or stretch it too far, it won't tile. However, if you use too large of an image, you'll only be able to see a small part of the image, which, isn't what you want. And, not too small, so that it'll tile in the window.
For tiled images, the image size should be large enough that the details can be made out, but small enough so that the image isn't 'stretched' in anyway. You can take a look at the sample image included in the file above.

Editing text colors!

(This, is a bit more complicated, but not overly so. However, the method provided here isn't 100% effective, but should work at least 90% of the time.)

Let's say that you found a picture you LOVE, but the text becomes unreadable, because it blends in too much with the background. So, instead of changing the background, let's change the text.
First, take a screen cap of the Steam window with the text you want to change clearly visible. (Obviously, with the theme loaded.) Let's say you want to change the main text. Use 'Print Screen' for this. (The highlighted text is what we want to change.)

86242695.png

Now, paste that image into paint. (Ignore the cluttered desktop. :hmph:)

42647762.png

Next, zoom into the text that you want to change.

98237897.png

Now, find the most SOLID color/shade of the text. (It's sort of hard to see at first, but I'll attempt to highlight the areas which we could use.) Now, use the 'Pick Color' tool, and click on the color. Yeah, yeah. I was editing a picture of MS Paint IN MS Paint.

47647942.png

After that, go into 'Colors->Edit Colors -> Define Custom Colors >>'

98733254.png

(Holy shit, this is where it became super confusing for me to take pictures of. As you can see, the 'paradox' is developing. There's like, 3 MS Paints' up there, plus the MS Paint I was using to EDIT the other thr-.. Oh, f*ck it.)

Now, get the RGB values, and keep that window open. Open up the 'Steam Scheme.res' file in 'Steam\skins\Slate Colored\Resource' using notepad. Open up the SEARCH tool, and enter the RGB value, with a space in between each, then click, 'find next'. As you can see, it's RIGHT THERE. *sigh*

23087556.png

Now, replace the three lines with WHATEVER you want, in this case, I want pink. Obviously, if you want a color, but don't know what the RGB value is, use MS Paint's Define Custom Colors. (I believe the fourth value is for Alpha, or transparencies. Haven't messed around with it, but you can feel free to.)

79151732.png

Then, save the Steam Scheme.res, and restart steam.

Should work.

88032987.png

Damn, that's sexy.

If, you've got any questions, DON'T PM me. Go PM Ace, and he'll let me know over Steam. :cheese:
I won't be checking back often enough.

:cheers:

Veno I don't know who you are but I like your style and knowledge and use of MS paint. And your little squiggly arrow.

I think we should become fast friends.

Back