Steam To Introduce 12 New Currencies

Omnomnick

Retired Lead Content Creator
Staff member
Reaction score
Updated Post:
Several of the currencies have now been added to Steam in late September and early October 2014. After originally disappearing from Valve's press release, it has been revealed the Australian Dollar and New Zealand Dollar have been delayed until early 2015 for unspecified reasons. We have updated the list below to reflect these recent changes.

Original Post:
After originally being revealed back at the Steam Dev Days conference in January 2014, Valve have finally elaborated on the wide selection of international currencies coming to Steam in the near future. In a new post to the Steamworks community group, it has been announced 12 new currencies will be added to the Steam Store alongside the recently introduced Yen, which was added back in late August.

The full list of upcoming and recently released international currencies is as follows:
  • Japanese Yen (JPY) – Released on 19/8/2014
  • Indonesian Rupiah (IDR) – Released on 16/9/2014
  • Malaysian Ringit (MYR) – Released on 16/9/2014
  • Philippine Peso (PHP) – Released on 16/9/2014
  • Singapore Dollar (SGD) – Released on 16/9/2014
  • Thai Baht (THB) – Released on 16/9/2014
  • Australian Dollar (AUD) – Expected to release early 2015
  • New Zealand Dollar (NZD) – Expected to release early 2015
  • Canadian Dollar (CAD) – Released on 8/10/2014
  • Norwegian Krone (NOK) – Released on 8/10/2014
  • South Korean Won (KRW) – Expected to release late-October
  • Turkish Lira (TRY) – Released on 21/10/2014
  • Mexican Peso (MXN) – Released on 21/10/2014
This is definitely good news for any Steam users living in the affected countries, as Steam should no longer default to foreign currencies (such as the United States Dollar, the Euro, or the Great British Pound), making it far easier to work out how much a product on the storefront is worth in local currency.

The announcement page, available to anyone with a Steamworks account, also includes important information game developers should definitely check out, including how to ensure your product is available for purchase in the listed regions and how to modify in-game micro-transactions to reflect these new, upcoming changes.

Last edited:
Definitely a welcome change. I have to remind myself occasionally that the price I see is not the price I am being charged. I'd still wanna know the US price before picking a game up though since I've already spotted a few games charging more than it should be with the exchange rate trends.

This is ****ing fantastic news, even if it's just a small step in the a very overdue series of changes.

I love you Volvo! Thank you for Turkish Lira. We've been waiting for this for long time.

To be fair, those are much larger countries. By the way the pattern is more like geographics to me, the whole East Asia is listed. The only exceptions are Canada and Mexico, neightbors of the US, and Norway (I can't really explain that one).

Actually I really hope Eastern Europe will be the next. *waves from Hungary*

Actually I really hope Eastern Europe will be the next. *waves from Hungary*
I think that it would be pretty nice If they decided to do a little more than simply adding local currencies. A whole separate pricing region would be nice. They did it for Russia and Ukraine. I would love to see the same in eastern europe. Numbers do not lie (GDP map). Prices of different products are usually more or less adjusted to the local market - but not game prices. I had to pay 90€ for Watch Dogs + Season Pass for complete experience and that's quite a lot. People in Ukraine - little over 30€. I know games are really expensive to make but holding to stiff prices like that is not really efficient. They should be adjusted to local markets and raised every year or so (as most of eastern European economies grow pretty fast). There is such a huge PC market in Poland right now but people buy stuff mostly on sales, play f2p games or simply pirate stuff. People are willing to pay just not this much.

Well, yeah. Lower prices are always nice. But,honestly I have problem only with the release prices. Just 6 months after that or so, when the first sale strikes in, almost everything goes below 30-35€, and this is not an extreme example. Dishonored or Batman Arkham Origins went down to 20 € about a half year later of the release. But the 60 € price tag for a day-0 title is hilarious in our region, you are right.

Im from SEA region.this is really helpful.Sometimes you can get prices more cheap in other region,sometimes not.But,now i cant buy something in steam by paypal anymore. :(

Back