steam will never suceed

G

in an age of instant gratification who will wait hours to install and minutes to start when they can already install in minutes and start in seconds?
steam also prevents usage of custom models, skins, and other cool stuff
you can also be denied acess to your config and title files, which is a pain in the ass for CS MOD vets beta testing CS 1.6

i cant find any positive points for steam, and it has not been able to stop even the newbie hackers, cheaters, and illegal script kiddies

i agree, steam is also horrible at searching for games, where team cannot find a single SI game, ASE (www.udpsoft.com/eye) finds about 10. if steam is the only option for HL2 multiplay, this will ruin the entire game

That's not true. You cant edit all your CFG files in the steamcache.

but you cant title files
and many cfg functions are not allowed

and also, if someone managed to hack the central steam server they could automatically upload and run a virus on everyones computer
steam provides safe passage through firewalls and antivirus programs

Originally posted by Quackzilla
and also, if someone managed to hack the central steam server they could automatically upload and run a virus on everyones computer
steam provides safe passage through firewalls and antivirus programs
Pretty big negative there...

When you install a game over Steam it installs in minutes and starts in seconds for me, so I don't see what the problem is there.

When it goes final you will be able to use custom models skins etc. simply by allowing resources in the directory structure to override those in the gcache, just like you can override a traditional pak file. Custom models are a kind of mod, and Valve like mods.

The likelyhood of Steam being hacked is pretty tiny, but even if it was there are a hundred easier ways to get a virus onto your system, and Steam would still not provide a way for virus to get past antivirus software.

The Steam server browser currently works with a different master server than the regular Half-Life browser so that it only finds the beta versions of the games. When it goes final they will use the main master server for everything and you'll be able to find every mod.

Originally posted by Quackzilla
but you cant title files
and many cfg functions are not allowed

You must be doing something wrong as i can script for cs 1.6 with no problems... and when cs1.6 goes final you will still be able to use custom models! Its just that valve dont want anyone playing with thier new content whilst its still beta and therfore they have encypted them into a chached file.

Advantages of Steam to the user

• Instant, constant and much more frequent updates that can be as small or as little as needed.
  • Instant messaging to fellow players
  • A server utility that features the ability to set filters, and currently finds ALL SERVERS for the LATEST VERSIONS of EACH GAME.
  • The ability to purchase games and software digitally, cutting out the publisher therefore most likely cutting down on how much you spend on the title. (Yes, I know we're all going to get HL2 in the shop for the manual, CD and box, but with a game like CS:CZ would you rather play $50/£35 in the shop or $25/£17 over Steam?)
  • Downloadable media of upcoming titles

Advantages of Steam to a mod maker

• The ability to make changes and then perform a rollback to revert the changes to test the users opinions or in case of creating more bugs
  • The ablility to release content to select individuals for BETA testing (unconfirmed, but I can see this being quite likely and handy)
  • A quick easy way to get your mod seen by as many people as possible
  • Better licencing options for people that want to make their MODs retail which in turns allows for much more work to be done much much quicker with much more quality

Said disadvantages of Steam to the user

• "Slow loading times" - Get a better computer it's about time you had one. Other than that, clear up your resources, close unnecessary background programs
  • "Steam sucks" - So what? You're a retard. Form a more tangible opinion and I might see your point
  • Can't edit config files or model files - They are going to add this ability later so you have FULL access to all the content, but I believe there is a way to do it currently - it's just a way of knowing what the file structure is and what goes where
  • "if someone managed to hack the central steam server they could automatically upload and run a virus on everyones computer" - OMfgZ!£ wat if sumbedeh releeeses a viris on teh central web and it efects all our masheens??! :O - It doesn't work like that.

Steam wins :bounce:

Pesonally, I like steam right now. It works well for me and hasn't had problems. It was easy to set up and worked right away. I like that. I didn't have to install then connect, realize I needed to update, find the update, wait in line for it, update, and then play. It was all simple and easy.

I can do without my custom spray, models, sounds, etc. until HL2 comes out. Thats no big deal. Most of all i like it because its free.... right now.

If they try and make us subscribe to our own games that would suck (ex. planetside) i read it was a possibility, but i think they were going to make that available to people who didn't want to buy the full retail version and just want online play. So that might not be so bad. Anyway...

I've also heard that steam will allow mods to be sold to steam users. That Sucks. Here's the way I see it...

1. HL1 I bought the game and got every version of it created free (AWESOME)
2. Thats a terrible deal for the mod makers
3. Mod makers deserve a cut for what they bring to the community.
4. I love the mods and I love trying them all out because of what they do and how they use every capability of the engines.
5. If i have to buy them, i won't be able to afford them all and result in missing out on lots of cool ideas.

I just like to be able to access everything half life has to offer and i want to be able to do the same with HL2. Steam seems to be a tool that could change all that comepletely.

Originally posted by wendle
Pesonally, I like steam right now. It works well for me and hasn't had problems. It was easy to set up and worked right away. I like that. I didn't have to install then connect, realize I needed to update, find the update, wait in line for it, update, and then play. It was all simple and easy.

I can do without my custom spray, models, sounds, etc. until HL2 comes out. Thats no big deal. Most of all i like it because its free.... right now.

If they try and make us subscribe to our own games that would suck (ex. planetside) i read it was a possibility, but i think they were going to make that available to people who didn't want to buy the full retail version and just want online play. So that might not be so bad. Anyway...

I've also heard that steam will allow mods to be sold to steam users. That Sucks. Here's the way I see it...

1. HL1 I bought the game and got every version of it created free (AWESOME)
2. Thats a terrible deal for the mod makers
3. Mod makers deserve a cut for what they bring to the community.
4. I love the mods and I love trying them all out because of what they do and how they use every capability of the engines.
5. If i have to buy them, i won't be able to afford them all and result in missing out on lots of cool ideas.

I just like to be able to access everything half life has to offer and i want to be able to do the same with HL2. Steam seems to be a tool that could change all that comepletely.

First of all it's never been a possibility that you have to pay for Steam. The only thing you pay for is the games you purchase. And when I say "games" I mean, HL2, TF2, CS:CZ - things that you can't get for free by default.

1. Yes, correct.

2. No, it isn't. A lot of MODs wouldn't dream of charging - a lot of MODs aren't worth the money anyway - they just aren't good enough.

3. Yes they do, which is why the one's that will make outstanding MODs will have the ability to charge a little for people to download them. But this in itself will cost the MOD makers money because they'll have to licence the engine from Valve before anything. I can see a few more HL2 MODs going retail over the next five years - but this time it won't be such a big thing, and there still won't be that many of them.

4. MODs rule

5. You won't have to pay for them all. Just to clarify - MOD makers will have the option to make their games available over Steam at a price, but this would involve licencing the engine from Valve which will be at a small price to them - so not everyone's going to want to do it.

You bring up good points. Its true that most mods are far from good enough to charge for. The idea behind steam is to easily allow the sale of mods. Valve hopes that the steam interface will atrack high end mod makers and/or other game designers to switch to mod making of half life 2 because of the possiblity to make money. The result would be extremely high end mods available via top designers.
Your right the mods ametuers make will be available free because they wont liscense the engine, but the professional mods will be for sale. Its likely that there will be many of them relatively quickly. The opportunity to potential make a lot of money off a very good mod could attrack very good modders to go all out.

There will be free mods. But they won't be of the caliber of the professionals unless the developer has a lot of time and willingness to spend it freely for the community.

I predict a large discrepancy between free and charged for mods. Of course I could be wrong. It will depend on many things the ease in use of the SDK, the skills of modders, etc.

Don't hate me for my thoughts.

so there will be free mods (that can be god or bad, depends...) and semi-Addons, made by professionals? hm...I could live with that. Howeve, it would really really suck if they start to charge for steam, especially if HL2 MP is only possible over Steam (and, of course, the LAN). I hope that Valve can keep their greedieness in check (its a nasty emotion. no one can claim not to be affected by it...)

atm steam is still beta and a test until hl2 is released. by that time it should be stable enough.

i won't buy any mod when i can have a similar one for free. i doubt even ppl who make mods at the level of cs, dod and so on want ppl to pay for them. they don't make the mods for getting paid. maybe after some time, when it's pretty good and large, you might find it in the stores. but even dod and hl can be downloaded for free although you can download them. cept for the 2 maps and a new gui perhaps...but who cares?

btw. i didn't know that ase supports steam..

Excellent program if you ask me. Would be better with a more advanced resume function, mind.

Back