Strider is Drivable Veihicle

Hmmmmm... that gives me an idea about what the HL2 multiplayer might be... perhaps some kind of team-based battle, where one side is the restisance, or whatever they're called, and the other is the Combine... maybe the Combine have Striders on their team...?

That kind of thing might just get me playing multiplayer games...

Ugh, I have a feeling that that wa MISSQUOTE.

What about the Striders thing? No I don't think it was - I'm practically positive I saw Valve saying that they'd messed about with playable Striders, but that it was mainly for their own amusement, almost definitely not with the game itself (certainly not for SP as Striders are not vehicles. However I'm simply speculating that it could be a promising and amusing mod :)

Yes... I reckon they're some kind of biomechanoid...

Point is, what if you can play them in the multiplayer?

No the PC Gamer Team talked to Valve RECENTLY and they said they were thinking of making the strider drivable for the full game! not just for messing about. k?

Yes, and we've already said that we think that that was them misinterpreting a bit of the HL2.net info, not talking to VALVe. Exact quote, please?

fine if it is so important

"Valve recently let slip they were toying with turning the strider into a drivable veihicle"

Your "quote" says nothing about it being in the final game.

Don't worry....I'll find the original quote to make you be quiet.

Dowie said:
No the PC Gamer Team talked to Valve RECENTLY and they said they were thinking of making the strider drivable for the full game! not just for messing about. k?

No, they didn't :)

HERE IS THE EXACT F@CKING QUOTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Would it be possible in a mod to take a bipedal type robot about as tall as the strider and make it driveable while still having it respond realistically to physics?

Gabe Newell: Yes. We made the Strider a vehicle for our own amusement.

So there you have it..........they did it for FUN........not for THE GAME.........

This thread IS OVER!

[edit] and your source sucked so freaking much...... [/edit]

i heard that they made the strider a vehicle for kicks but it wont be in the game.

galoot3000 said:
i heard that they made the strider a vehicle for kicks but it wont be in the game.

Look above you.............. :E

I must say the idea really intrigues me. A mod with supertall robots would be kind of cool, wether they're striders or not. But they should be available in limited numbers so that most would be on foot, and get to watch those huge things fight alongside of them, but be able to radio targets to the guys riding the striders.

/strange idea mode

Oh yeah, also, there could be a strider racing mod, maybe with some platforming (jumping from platform to platform with striders must look funney). There could also be power ups like in mario kart

I also was thinking about a mod a la "the sims", except it would be with a strider family.

/strange idea mode off

Someone needs to implement the drivable strider idea (if not, I will, in about 3 years from now)

Strider vs. Strider or even Team 1: Resistance fellas fighting Team 2: Striders. Team 1 > Team 2, natch.
Personally I thnk Strider would have to be played in 3rd Person. So there. Obey el Chi. All of you.

Well, were like the biggest source of info on hl2 :p

they said they where 'tweaking with the idea'. not to sure if it will be,, maybe in multiplayer..? if theres even vehicles in multiplayer.

clarky003 said:
they said they where 'tweaking with the idea'. not to sure if it will be,, maybe in multiplayer..? if theres even vehicles in multiplayer.

I'm just going to keep posting this quote till everyone gets it.........

Would it be possible in a mod to take a bipedal type robot about as tall as the strider and make it driveable while still having it respond realistically to physics?

Gabe Newell: Yes. We made the Strider a vehicle for our own amusement.

It isn't going to be in the game...........they did it for fun........but it is possible for a mod to do it........

Valve was just fecking around with the game and realized that they could make it a vehicle. But they didn't

edit:Fender beat me to it ^^

Fender357 said:
I'm just going to keep posting this quote till everyone gets it.........

It isn't going to be in the game...........they did it for fun........but it is possible for a mod to do it........

oh poo, Ill just have to mod gordon to have 3 long legs instead of 2. :p

the most awesome part of this thread is the fact that it was my question to gabe which caused all this ruckus. i feel honored for having been the cause of the release of that little bit of info.

the reason i asked about whether or not pilotable physically simulated bipedal robots could exist in hl2 was because i wanted to know if someone could make a battlefield-ish mechwarrior mod that was true to its battletech roots, not like this over simplified arcadey stuff they have out now coughmechwarrior4,mechassault,mechcommandercough, must be catching a cold

The tripod isn't a biped :)

Since the strider isn't going to be pilotable in-game, maybe they could make a strider-POV expansion pack?

They already gave you the POV of a security guard, three scientists, and a marine, so why not? :p

Flyingdebris said:
the most awesome part of this thread is the fact that it was my question to gabe which caused all this ruckus. i feel honored for having been the cause of the release of that little bit of info.

the reason i asked about whether or not pilotable physically simulated bipedal robots could exist in hl2 was because i wanted to know if someone could make a battlefield-ish mechwarrior mod that was true to its battletech roots, not like this over simplified arcadey stuff they have out now coughmechwarrior4,mechassault,mechcommandercough, must be catching a cold

Even if your e-mail was the cause of it.......it was also the solution to it......because some people don't know how to interpret words properly.

And lets not get to haisty Mechagodzilla.

You could say "why they make a POV exansion for everything in the game!?!!?"

but that would be dumb......

It's made driveable for fun so that could mean : The thing isn't operated by a combine but simply an alien lifeform. And also .. kickass mods :p

Striders are drivable :) Neat mod, hopefully some other mods pick this code up (with permission of course) and use it. Just needs a little tweaking.

I thought stalkers were the screwed up hissing freaks from the citadel. Is there an MIB type alien in there face?
Pc gamer PFFFT computer gaming world is a much better magazine,
-edit-
Wow did not look at the dates on this one, april 27?? come on just let it die!!

Back