Super Slow Load

Wesablo

Reaction score
I just recently reinstalled HL and CS:S, and I've got them to work but there's one huge, weird problem with Source. When I load it from my desktop it takes super long to load the game, sometimes exceeding 5 minutes even. It never used to take that long back in the day, and I don't know if its me or something that's been happening to everyone. Any insight?

Just CSS? If you are experiencing a long load do you mean in waiting for the main game menu screen to come up, or are you connecting to a server from the server window from the desktop and instantly loading into a server and that is taking a long time to connect?

If you've never done so, you should defrag your Steam game files - right click the game in your library, go to properties, files tab and defrag the game files. I'm also assuming your computer is good enough to run these games easily and that you are using reasonable settings for your hardware.

A delayed connection when joining a server could suggest some blocking of ports, try running CSS in windowed mode and see if the windows firewall pops up asking about blocking hl2.exe. You can enable the console (options - keyboard - advanced - developer console) and open it with ' (button below ESC) and see if you're getting any error messages when trying to connect to the server...this could suggest you need to forward some ports or your anti-virus / firewall is making it difficult.

Lastly, I'm not sure how good you are with computers...but if you don't keep your computer clean and organised it slows down over time. Maintenance needs to be done over time to keep things running well. ccleaner is a good program, you should turn off start-up programs, defrag regularly and keep graphics drivers updated.

Yea, well to address some of your speculations - Yes my computer is decent enough to run both games fairly well, it isn't amazing but definitely sufficient. Also I try to keep it as clean as possible, and I had just reformatted like a month or 2 ago so its pretty fresh.

It takes long to load servers, but it REALLY takes long to just launch the game, which is the bigger problem. Getting into an actual server takes normal time, seemingly. Servers take about a minute, but the launching of just the game itself takes sometimes 5 minutes like I was saying. Half Life took a bit when I attempted to load it as well, but Source has been really bad. I will try defragging steam in the meantime.

Back