Surprised that Valve is making things so complicated...

Zyphria

Reaction score
Why not just offer the beta to anyone who pre-orders CS:Source?

Easy: to sell a bunch of copies of the crappy game Counter-Strike: Condition Zero.

They're using this as a way to sell CZ more than a way to test CS:Source. CZ nets them money while CS:Source comes with Half-Life 2.

Still, there's no way in hell anyone should ever buy CS:CZ. $30 for better looking models and maps and fewer game servers is nothing I'd bother with. The single player is pure crap, so I'm unsure why anyone except the true CS newbie would pick the game up. I know I won't bother getting it just to get the beta of a game I intend on buying.

Zyphria said:
Why not just offer the beta to anyone who pre-orders CS:Source?

because then everybody would pre-order...

and although you would think that would be good for Valve, it's not fail safe since pre-orders can be cancelled.

Also Valve wants the beta access to be a nice little treat for people that bought CS:CZ, since if the purchase of CS:CZ didn't come with certain perks down the road, people who bought it would have been royally screwed over. I think it's only fair to the people who bought CS:CZ(I didn't myself btw) and hopefully they will also get special offers with the finished version of CS:S.

PriNcE oF SpAcE said:
because then everybody would pre-order...

and although you would think that would be good for Valve, it's not fail safe since pre-orders can be cancelled.

Also Valve wants the beta access to be a nice little treat for people that bought CS:CZ, since if the purchase of CS:CZ didn't come with certain perks down the road, people who bought it would have been royally screwed over. I think it's only fair to the people who bought CS:CZ(I didn't myself btw) and hopefully they will also get special offers with the finished version of CS:S.
at last a decent post from a decent CS player tnx PriNcE.
People that insist on saying the worst of a game they dont own or have never played is starting to sound like an old record "Fallout" thats you ,sorry, What you said is totaly false in so many ways.Price/descriptions etc. Few servers, do u really need 1000 servers,When you can play any map day or night with whatever amount of people u want to play with on vac only servers ,i see no need for more...1000+ is plenty of servers and ya more crazy if u think that not true.CZ is not just some map,texture,models udpate, cz has had 2 big updates and now cz1.3 is on its way,adding Truth for a start..CZ has all the best of CS 1.6 ie gameplay ,but has added so much more to it now,TOD packs your missing out on is a big way.OOk just offline bot missions you say,But we have 66 DS Ritual skins in our missions now and We are able to use any combo of player model skins for online use aswell.Not custom skins "Ritual Offical" DS models..the list goes on ...Please think b4 you decide to flame a game you dont own, its not on now is it!

as mentioned above CS:S is free with HL2 (at least that was reported), so CS:S wont net them any money (unless they promise free beta testing to CS:Z owners), which gives me the impression Valve is only interested in big.. *in best chicken voice* buck, buck, buck, bucks.

Valve should reward loyalty (i.e. support from fans), not buying out of date products.

craigweb said:
Valve should reward loyalty (i.e. support from fans), not buying out of date products.

I'm sorry craig but that's the dumbest thing you could have said. A loyal fan buys the company products, this isn't the bloody Red Cross they aren't a charitable organization, they need to make money, hard currency, dough, get it?

The only way a fan can support Valve is by buying their products.

Back