Team needed for Mod

joshsmog

Reaction score
I posted this at hlfallout and thought id post it here too.

Ok, A while ago I saw a competition to come up with a game design idea and submit it, well me and a friend wrote up a half assed plot and drew some crappy enemies reminiscent to quake2 but then saw that the competition was for americans only. Well shit. Anyway the game was basically far cry but 5 years before it came out. But! I want to put together a mod team with me being the leader and basically sitting on my fatass yelling at other people to do stuff im too lazy to do! Ok, heres my idea. Theres a company, think Resident evil, Its called miunell. A huge corporation funded by the U.S. Government, It specializes in weapons of war. Its set in the future where theres a huge communist build up in japan and china which will not be explained because that would take time. Anyway, basically they (the communists) somehow get ahold of some bio weapons and use them against a bordering country and this ticks the U.S. off so much that they immediatly turn to their top secret corporation called miunel which obviously couldn't research or do anything until the government ordered a go on it due to legal stuff blah blah. Well the war goes on for about 4 more years, they haven't used and bio weapons against the communist threat but are losing the war, the communists now have tons of land and theres no hope for anyone to take it back without bioweapons, and thats when they use the bioweapons. The U.S. releases the weapons miunell has been researching and developing(I need help from a few people to come up with some concepts here, as my old ones were basically quake2 ripoffs) well they manage to make the communists retreat a fair bit of land and off course the U.S. just bombs the cities where the remaining weapons were leaving no evidence. The communists obviously know what the U.S. has done and trys to turn the rest of the UN against the U.S. but that fails. While the U.S. is distracted with foriegn affairs the Communists got multiple spies into the U.S. and managed to steal incriminating files and other shit from miunel and also screw up the security systems and vitals of each complex. A total of 12 in random parts of the US, 2 in northern Canada and 1 in mexico. You are person in a squad of elites(ill need someone to help me think of a name for the group hes in and a name for who you play as.) You get sent to one of the facilities with hundreds of others, The "elites" surround the complex and just work your way in killing everything you see. ( complexes and research facilities are in remote locations with turrets and surveilince cameras aroudn the perimeter.) well of course something has to go wrong, It turns out the elites suck major shit and get killed by a bunch of the weapons, Now theres a breach in the perimeter and the weapons get to the "elites" escape point and basically destroy every vehicle and person waiting for the "elites to come back from a succesful mission. Now the elites are stranded and about half of them are cut off from the rest. Your primary goal is to get to the complex and try to get the security system back online (youll find a scientist or something like that hiding out in a room that you will have to guard to get the system back online or something like that) after you do this all the weapons get destroyed and you get rescued blah blah blah but wait! theres still what? 14 other miunel locations! well you get promoted after that to something good and form a better plan for the next group, The next mission would include vehicles and air insertions.

well enough of that horrible story line, heres new things i want implemented into the game:
-A bunch of vehicles like tanks, apcs and stuff that can carry NPCs.
-A way to call in reinforcements from the air, If there isnt a clear spot they can't land blah blah.
-Destructable terrain( geomod like, for indoor levels only to reduce stress on computer. Don't really know if this is possible but isn't heavily needed.)
-A whole new arsenal of weapons, around 20-25(models can be ripped from other realistic games for the common like an mp5 and m4)
-Selectable soundtrack/MP3 player for in game. I want you to be able to select a type of music you like and have a different ingame soundtrack so lets say you like nu metal, at an intense combat location deer dance by system of a down might start playing but if you picked Electronic in the menu, a faster pased electronic song would begin to play.
-Gibbing, Gotta have gibbing!
-Dismemberment, medium sized enemies only.
-Lots of physics puzzles and Shortcuts(like rolling a big pipe off a roof and it crushing a few people and also making a shortcut to jump off the roof instead of taking the stairs.
-I WANT COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT. If a majority of people think a weapon or level really sucks ass I want people to say so, I want people to say what needs improving or what could be added to make it more enjoyable.
-Multiplayer with different scenarios, Tank fights, sniper weapons, Miunel creations vs elites etc.
-Some form of computer hacking so you can get little tidbits of storyline or make life easier by enabling a couple turrets.

Heres a list of people I will need:
Mappers! really good ones, I can map somewhat but not very good.
Modellers, Good ones! Some mods get everything right BUT the weapon models, to me the way a weapon looks and sounds can make or break a mod.
Coders, I dont know how hard it will be to code the stuff I want to see happen in this mod but I assume it will take an experienced coder.
Concept/Texture artists. I want someone who can draw. Someone who has an idea about what would suck in gameplay and what would be the bees knees and can help me out with showing the modelers what I want.
Storyline writers, People to help me out with a storyline.
Website guys, I have the abilities to create a website, but not a good website. I have all the bandwidth and stuff you would need.

To contact me you can email me at J O S H S M O G @ gmail.com (just remove spaces, I hate spam.)

Ok, Feel free to offer your constructive critism and add your ideas of what should be in a mod like this. I might have a website up within the next month or so. and remember i need DEDICATED members, people who are willing to work on this for a while. I'm not gonna take credit for much other than organizing this stuff so don't worry about a glory hog mod leader. If you even read this far I applaud you for your patience, your the kind of person I'd want working on this mod. Thanks a lot.

*heres an easier to read version*

I posted this on HLfallout and thought id post it here too, try not to mind the grammar.

Ok, A while ago I saw a competition to come up with a game design idea and submit it, well me and a friend wrote up a half assed plot and drew some crappy enemies reminiscent to quake2 but then saw that the competition was for americans only. Well shit

Anyway the game was basically far cry but 5 years before it came out. But! I want to put together a mod team with me being the leader and basically sitting on my fatass yelling at other people to do stuff im too lazy to do! Ok, heres my idea:
Theres a company, think Resident evil, Its called miunell. A huge corporation funded by the U.S. Government, It specializes in weapons of war. Its set in the future where theres a huge communist build up in japan and china which will not be explained because that would take time.

Anyway, basically they (the communists) somehow get ahold of some bio weapons and use them against a bordering country and this ticks the U.S. off so much that they immediatly turn to their top secret corporation called miunel which obviously couldn't research or do anything until the government ordered a go on it due to legal stuff blah blah. Well the war goes on for about 4 more years, they haven't used and bio weapons against the communist threat but are losing the war, the communists now have tons of land and theres no hope for anyone to take it back without bioweapons.

The U.S. releases some new bio weapons, the weapons miunell has been researching and developing(I need help from a few people to come up with some concepts here, as my old ones were basically quake2 ripoffs) well they manage to make the communists retreat a fair bit of land and off course the U.S. just bombs the cities where the remaining weapons were leaving no evidence. The communists obviously know what the U.S. has done and trys to turn the rest of the UN against the U.S. but that fails. While the U.S. is distracted with foriegn affairs the Communists got multiple spies into the U.S. and managed to steal incriminating files and other shit from miunel and also screw up the security systems and vitals of each complex. A total of 12 in random parts of the US, 2 in northern Canada and 1 in mexico.

You are person in a squad of elites(ill need someone to help me think of a name for the group hes in and a name for who you play as.) You get sent to one of the facilities with hundreds of others, The "elites" surround the complex and just work your way in killing everything you see. ( complexes and research facilities are in remote locations with turrets and surveilince cameras aroudn the perimeter.) well of course something has to go wrong, It turns out the elites suck major shit and get killed by a bunch of the weapons, Now theres a breach in the perimeter and the weapons get to the "elites" escape point and basically destroy every vehicle and person waiting for the "elites to come back from a succesful mission. Now the elites are stranded and about half of them are cut off from the rest. Your primary goal is to get to the complex and try to get the security system back online (youll find a scientist or something like that hiding out in a room that you will have to guard to get the system back online or something like that) after you do this all the weapons get destroyed and you get rescued blah blah blah but wait! theres still what? 14 other miunel locations! well you get promoted after that to something good and form a better plan for the next group, The next mission would include vehicles and air insertions.

well enough of that horrible story line, heres new things i want implemented into the game:
-A bunch of vehicles like tanks, apcs and stuff that can carry NPCs.

-A way to call in reinforcements from the air, If there isnt a clear spot they can't land blah blah.

-Destructable terrain( geomod like, for indoor levels only to reduce stress on computer. Don't really know if this is possible but isn't heavily needed.)

-A whole new arsenal of weapons, around 20-25(models can be ripped from other realistic games for the common like an mp5 and m4)

-Selectable soundtrack/MP3 player for in game. I want you to be able to select a type of music you like and have a different ingame soundtrack so lets say you like nu metal, at an intense combat location deer dance by system of a down might start playing but if you picked Electronic in the menu, a faster pased electronic song would begin to play.

-Gibbing, Gotta have gibbing!

-Dismemberment, medium sized enemies only.

-Lots of physics puzzles and Shortcuts(like rolling a big pipe off a roof and it crushing a few people and also making a shortcut to jump off the roof instead of taking the stairs.

-I WANT COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT. If a majority of people think a weapon or level really sucks ass I want people to say so, I want people to say what needs improving or what could be added to make it more enjoyable.

-Multiplayer with different scenarios, Tank fights, sniper weapons, Miunel creations vs elites etc.

-Some form of computer hacking so you can get little tidbits of storyline or make life easier by enabling a couple turrets.

Heres a list of people I will need:
Mappers! really good ones, I can map somewhat but not very good.

Modellers, Good ones! Some mods get everything right BUT the weapon models, to me the way a weapon looks and sounds can make or break a mod.

Coders, I dont know how hard it will be to code the stuff I want to see happen in this mod but I assume it will take an experienced coder.

Concept/Texture artists. I want someone who can draw. Someone who has an idea about what would suck in gameplay and what would be the bees knees and can help me out with showing the modelers what I want.
Storyline writers, People to help me out with a storyline.

Website guys, I have the abilities to create a website, but not a good website. I have all the bandwidth and stuff you would need.

To contact me you can email me at J O S H S M O G @ gmail.com (just remove spaces, I hate spam.)

Ok, Feel free to offer your constructive critism and add your ideas of what should be in a mod like this. I might have a website up within the next month or so. and remember i need DEDICATED members, people who are willing to work on this for a while. I'm not gonna take credit for much other than organizing this stuff so don't worry about a glory hog mod leader. If you even read this far I applaud you for your patience, your the kind of person I'd want working on this mod. Thanks a lot.

My advice is to use what you have to create a formal design document. This should be a report style doc with heading such as:

Storyline - Write the storyline in
Gameplay - How it is designed to be played. e.g. legging it around with rockets, or tactical etc
Weapons - What weapons you will have, how they will work and how accurate/powerful they will be
Classes (If you are going to have them)
Vehicles - again, if you want them in
Equipment - What each bit is and what it does, for example med packs

That is by no means exahstive, you can add or remove as needed. Don't worry about what you put in not ending up in the game, the design doc can be changed any time, but it is important to start with a detailed one.

I would also suggest you learn one of the disiplines, such as moddling. You need to be making a contribution to the mod if you want people to help you build it.

Good luck.

Link said:
My advice is to use what you have to create a formal design document. This should be a report style doc with heading such as:

Storyline - Write the storyline in
Gameplay - How it is designed to be played. e.g. legging it around with rockets, or tactical etc
Weapons - What weapons you will have, how they will work and how accurate/powerful they will be
Classes (If you are going to have them)
Vehicles - again, if you want them in
Equipment - What each bit is and what it does, for example med packs

That is by no means exahstive, you can add or remove as needed. Don't worry about what you put in not ending up in the game, the design doc can be changed any time, but it is important to start with a detailed one.

I would also suggest you learn one of the disiplines, such as moddling. You need to be making a contribution to the mod if you want people to help you build it.

Good luck.
Yes, this summer im going to be learning some c++ and im taking up mapping again right as soon as i get back on the holidays. When I get a site up ill do a good writeup of what I want using that design. I was just sitting here late at night when I wrote that and it shows.

I can help to do concept art, im starting out in mapping, and i can help with the story, ill send you a PM soon with some art, i'll see if i can make a small map possibly (ive only just started mapping so i dont think i'll help with this).

But yeah, ill send a PM with some sample art soon.

thanks...
-Q

qTIP said:
I can help to do concept art, im starting out in mapping, and i can help with the story, ill send you a PM soon with some art, i'll see if i can make a small map possibly (ive only just started mapping so i dont think i'll help with this).

But yeah, ill send a PM with some sample art soon.

thanks...
-Q
Wow!!! I would totally appreciate ANY thing you can provide, I'm just starting up mapping too, so maybe if we work together we can build a cool map. I'll pm you right now for your email address.

Back