TeamFortress Forever?

ktimekiller

Companion Cube
Reaction score
Because TF2 is finally coming out, what is going to happen to the hl2 mod of TF?

They'll be fine. Fortress Forever was never meant to be a spiritual successor to the original. I think TF2 will be different enough from TF1 to justify the existence of Fortress Forever.

They said in their FAQ that if TF2 came out they would continue anyway. Im starting to think that Teamfortress forever would be better but i can imagine there would be more players in TF2

still as committed to release as ever

I like the name of Fortress Forever. It seems like a little dig at TF2.

I hope ff releases soon so it can help with the wait before tf2... Although im still looking forward to FF that pic of tf2 has me drooling.

I would have thought fortress forever is like the black mesa source mod, as in a remake, but with their own touches and improvements.

TF2 will not be like that, so I don't expect there'll be a problem.

fortress foever looks awesome and i cant wait for the mod to be released i wasnt a big tfc player but ill be sure to get into it when ff comes out

They said in their FAQ that if TF2 came out they would continue anyway. Im starting to think that Teamfortress forever would be better but i can imagine there would be more players in TF2
cool

P.S isnt this forum supposed to be in Other Source Games Forums ?

What I don't like is the attitude of some of their fans. They are TF fans, yet they behave like this - 'omg we must release ff before tf2 comes out to beat them' - who's them? They're TF fans, for heaven's sake!

Not so hard to understand:
-FF is like TFC:Source, its the old thing on the source engine with better graphics(doesnt mean its bad ;)).

-TF2 is a new game with new graphics, new style and probably new gameplay features.

Its like Valve would make CS2 next to CS:S.

Not so hard to understand:
-FF is like TFC:Source, its the old thing on the source engine with better graphics(doesnt mean its bad ;)).

-TF2 is a new game with new graphics, new style and probably new gameplay features.

Its like Valve would make CS2 next to CS:S.

You are so far from the truth. FF is not even going to be close to TFC:Source. Sure, their stylistic influences are drawn from TFC, but in terms of gameplay, FF is a culmination of many fortress games and combining physics that the original games never had. Not to mention FF is full of new gameplay features. Just take a look at the FAQ on the website and the community FAQ on the forums.

FF basically takes TFC and makes it into the game diehard fortress fans have wanted for so long. To me, FF is a game for the fortress enthusiast. TFC fans have been largely ignored by VALVe for the past couple of years (up until now). Although the casual gamer may enjoy things like teleporters, the TFC fanbase has loathed their existance for making gameplay unbalanced. And I don't ever remember VALVe's map Ravelin ever being played in a clan match (the only new map VALVe released with the introduction of teleporters and such). Over the years, TFC's community died, and it didn't help with the fact we didn't have any support from VALVe, we feel like they never heard our cries (but who could blame them for focusing efforts of their cash cows cs and dod, as well as gearing up for HL2 and the source games associated with that? I sure don't).

Anyway, the point is FF is not some carbon-copy of TFC for Source. The game is made by active TFC players who have a more direct feel for the 'pulse' of the TFC community and its gripes with TFC. While VALVe's TF2 looks promising with its design, I will hold my tongue on it's gameplay until I actually see some video and see more discussion. I'm interested whether or not VALVe has actually been hearing us all these years and made the gameplay changes TF fans have been waiting for like FF has.

And what makes you think Valve should listen to 1000 (or even 10.000) hardcore fans? You don't bring in any money compared to the real market.

If you have hopes for TF2 becoming something what TFC fans have wanted for years then you'll probably disappointed. Valve will make whatever Valve thinks the people will like and make sure it's quality, Valve isn't going to cater some small group of hardcore fans. Nor should they. I'd say: put your money on FF then which is being built for that small group.

And what makes you think Valve should listen to 1000 (or even 10.000) hardcore fans? You don't bring in any money compared to the real market.

If you have hopes for TF2 becoming something what TFC fans have wanted for years then you'll probably disappointed. Valve will make whatever Valve thinks the people will like and make sure it's quality, Valve isn't going to cater some small group of hardcore fans. Nor should they. I'd say: put your money on FF then which is being built for that small group.

But FF is not only being made for that small group. I may talk like it is because I've been a hardcore TFer for 6+ years and so I have a lot of changes in mind about the game that the FF team is implementing.

But the FF devs are going a lot further than just pleasing the TF enthusiasts; the dev team is trying to make the fortress style play more appealing to the typical gamer. This is why they are making tutorial maps that will be useful in teaching new players on how to bunnyhop, trimp, conc, rocket jump, etc. Also, the dev team is coding their own bots to act more life-like and not just run around like they do on today's typical TFC servers.

And it's fine, I originally expected VALVe to take TF into a different realm. But let's face it, VALVe's decision to go with a Pixar-esque look is probably based loosely on the fact that the TFC community has been producing custom models that reflect a more 'cartoony' feel to the game. The new look to TF2 is fresh, but it most definately reflects the trends of the very small TFC community. I'm pretty sure they've been keeping tabs on us for influence, but I'm hoping that they will do more than just take a more cartoon-look approach and face some issues with the actual gameplay of the game. And how can you not see that TF2 is essentially going to be how VALVe would envision TFC on source? The models portray the fact they will be taking on the same roles they have in every other fortress game.

Back