TF2: End of the Line Update Announced

Omnomnick

Retired Lead Content Creator
Staff member
Reaction score
After over a year since the original release of James McVinne's End of the Line teaser trailer that entertained millions, the final 14 minute short film has been uploaded to YouTube alongside an official, Valve-supported update.

Created by James McVinnie and a number of other talented animators, artists, and musicians, the End of the Line film follows BLU team as they attempt to destroy the RED team's base with an explosive on board a runaway train. It's 14 full minutes worth of quality animation you should definitely check out for yourself, so we won't spoil anything else.

While the film is definitely the main attraction of the community-made End of the Line update for Team Fortress 2, it is by far no means the only addition. The update also includes a new taunt for the Pyro known as "The Pool Party", numerous cosmetic items as featured in the film itself, a new "Crossing Guard" melee weapon, and several new unusual effects for your favourite hats. During the End of the Line event, set to run from today until January 5th 2015, players will be able to find and collect ducks from the corpses of fallen foes, which can then be tracked using new badges.

PyroBath.PNG
The End of the Line poster and t-shirt we posted to our Facebook wall a while back have also been made available on the WeLoveFine website, should you want to cover your wall or body in some excellent, train-themed artwork while supporting the update's development team.

Unfortunately, the CP_Snowplow map leaked back in August 2014 was cut from the update back in mid-November, but we're still looking to cover its long and somewhat troubled development in a very special episode of ValveTime Spotlight Exclusive due out later this week, so stay tuned for that! Once you're done watching the short for the 12th time, the End of the Line update is now available within Team Fortress 2 for you to enjoy, so get out there and get killing!

Last edited:
the music and what was happening in the trailer got me more pumped up than anything in the actual video

i'm not saying it was total shit but it wasn't as great as i'd hoped, which is weird considering the video took like two years to make

10/10, it was fantastic

the music and what was happening in the trailer got me more pumped up than anything in the actual video

I agree, that trailer made it seem like there would be a lot of action sequences; though they seemed to have been replaced by some cheap comedy gags that were either hit or miss for me. Considering the time the team was given, they did a remarkable job. Unfortunately it's in an awful position where the film has to be compared to proceeding Valve films and in that department EotL falls a bit short. Not at all a bad film, but this update seem to have suffered the "Over-hype under-deliver" syndrome. Not by any real fault of it's own, but by the initial trailer.

Last edited:
It was a nice short film, but everything before the big crash was just build-up kinda, nothing really happened. Also I thought that they will have voice acting in it? Didnt they say that Markiplier will do the medics voice.
It was a really good short but I expected more than just good animation quality and 1 big action scene. They could just cut out the first half of the short and start with the train already going, make it like 5 minutes instead of 15. Then we woudlnt have to wait for more than 1 year, and expectations woudlnt be that high.
The music was awesome!

edit: just rewatched the train crash in Super 8. The crash in this short is very similar to that (container flying through building, container launching the other container etc.)... It was obviously hard to do and a lot of work, but apparently they werent really creative about it.

Last edited:
The video is pretty good. It was well paced and animated, but I was expecting a bit more, like a direct confrontation between RED and BLU, instead of BLU sending a train to ram into the RED base. They made the Medic in the trailer seem pretty badass.

Back