TF2 "Invasion" Update Released

Omnomnick

Retired Lead Content Creator
Staff member
Reaction score
After what feels like years of work by so many members of the community, the "Invasion Update" for Team Fortress 2 has finally arrived. As an entirely community-created update picked up by Valve several months ago, the Invasion update introduces Aliens into Team Fortress 2 for the first time, with their gigantic UFO's terrorising maps both new and old. Before we move on to the specific details of the update, check out the community-made trailer linked below, an early version of which was released a while back.

Now, on to the juicy details! The Invasion update introduces four maps, with Pd_Watergate, Koth_Probed, and Arena_Byre featuring as newcomers alongside "2fort_Invasion", an event-specific reskin of CTF_2fort featuring mostly-destroyed buildings ruined by the relentless alien invaders. While Probed and Byre are the standard King of the Hill and Arena affair, Watergate features a brand new gamemode which pits both teams against each other as they attempt to deliver beer bottles to likely very drunk aliens.

2fort.PNG Byre.PNG Probed.PNG Watergate.PNG
2fort, Byre, Probed, and Watergate.

Those looking to support the many, many creators of the Invasion update can purchase an optional "Invasion Pass", which will provide an Update Coin able to track player kills while also allowing players to recieve new "Space Cases" as random item drops. These cases contain 16 new space-themed cosmetic items and 4 new weapon reskins, many of which can be found in unusual quality with new particle effects!

Now you're done reading, get your butt back out to the battlefield to fight off this alien threat! Good luck, Soldier...you'll need it!

Last edited:
cat-138.jpg

I KNEW IT

But being serious now
Okay, I get why it has to be paid - It's a community update and for their work they deserve some money, they have spend many hours working on maps and making new items, testing them and etc.. It's pretty understandable, plus the price itself.. isnt actually that high ? ( I know that it's cheap as all hell in the US and probably Western EU. It's still cheap in east too so yeah ? I kind of .. can't believe it. )

But there's a but.

There really was a charm to Valve's TF2 halloween specials, Merasmus is still my favourite non-merc character next to miss Pauing and others. Free custom items were also a big plus not only for non-premium folk, but also for those ( like me ) who can't really afford buying custom items since, well, euros are not dollars, and they are EXPENSIVE ( ... most of the time ). I was really dissapointed to see that now we have to buy keys to get items, but again, they are getting payed for their work.

I haven't played on any of the newly added maps or even just purchased the pass yet, but I might still do it in the next few days, while I'm ill and not in need to paint something important for school. BTW, first month in my art high school and I am in heaven.

Last edited:
Back