the combine

S

Simon Freeman

*The Combine is a Fortress thats slowly eating the rest of city 17*
thats what that guy in the film says

remember that shot when the walls is closing in on gordon?

thats how "the Combine" is taking over city 17... its walls is surrounding it.

tho these are things that you allready know?:dork:

Originally posted by Simon Freeman
*The Combine is a Fortress thats slowly eating the rest of city 17*
thats what that guy in the film says

remember that shot when the walls is closing in on gordon?

thats how "the Combine" is taking over city 17... its walls is surrounding it.

tho these are things that you allready know?:dork:

:eek: actually.. i didn't know that. What's the point in the wall thingy anywayz..

Well the idea with the walls that the combine guys could cut off the escape roads and trap people inside the city and eliminate them..hehe thats just evil :dork:

the walls of the combine is destroying everything in its way as its moving and surrounding city 17

eeh where did you hear that?
ive watched thru my videos and nowhere is he saying that..
hs saying "the alien citadel" but nothing about no combine

In the Video with the striders. He says

"This Final demo we'll show you is back in City 17 again. And you'll see that the alien citadel has begun eating some of the city."

So not Combine unless they are aliens.

In the 500Mb MOV i grabbed from usenet the narrator says
"...you'll get a look at the citadel at center of the alien Combine.
The Combine is a fortress that is slowly eating it's way through the rest of City 17."

The large 500 Mb version show the wall "eating" outwards. The black towers angle out like a spider's leg anchor into the ground and then right themselves, spreading the wall out furter. Nice mech-organic concept. The Citadel is obviously the gigantic tower/spire behind the black metal walls.

You are actually in the city OUTSIDE the wall and it is chomping outward destroying everything. I am betting that City 17 was a company town, in support of the citadel--which has since gone postal. I imagine the later chapters of the game involve getting inside.

This is part of the last scene in the 500Mb version and includes an encounter with two striders that I didn't see in any of the shorter ones.

The combine seems to refer to the entire fortress.

Combine [noun] (kmbn)
1. A power-operated harvesting machine that cuts, threshes, and cleans grain.
2. An association of people or groups united for the furtherance of political or commercial interests.
3. A combination.

Sounds like #2 would be a good fit for why they chose to call it a combine.

Originally posted by Mobeiu
In the Video with the striders. He says

"This Final demo we'll show you is back in City 17 again. And you'll see that the alien citadel has begun eating some of the city."

So not Combine unless they are aliens.
No, watch the Fileplanet one. The Combine is the fortress that towers over everything, those walls destroy everything that crosses it's path, which litterally makes it eat the city. The Combine Soldiers are there with gas masks(to prevent from oxygen poisoning I guess) and are to clear out the city to make way for an alien invasion.

nm.. the fileplanet movie summes it up, the combine in indeed an alien fortress, and the commando's are therfore aliens, or under alien possession orsomething because they have yellow blood

i wonder how the race is called.

I'm not so sure. If you listen to that 500mb video and compare the narative to what we heard on the original gamespot videos you'll notice that the narrator makes several mistakes (although he is obviously reading from the same script). I think the building is the "alien citadel" as old Gabe says, and combine refers only to the soldiers or perhaps the whole alien (?) faction. In fact Alex says "this is my first chance to strike back at the combine" in one of the videos - I doubt see's talking about a building.

My guess is that the citadel is an alien fortress and perhaps the site of a portal to the alien world (through which the invasion will occur). The combine are maintaining the alien foothold on the city by 'policing' its citizens.

i agree Calm_Blue_Ocean
and i cannot for the life of me see where the combine have yellow blood?
their clothes are yellow, but where is the yellow blood?

but on the other hand, if you look at the segment where freeman is running alongside barney and some freedom troops, in that clip the combine is hiding behind some black structure that looks very much like the giant fortress in design

so perhaps the fortress is combine?

nice one calm_blue_sea.. and the blood was from the antlions hehe.. I thought the yellow blood spattered from a combine soldier, but it was not :) anyway..

I think i am basicly on the right directon on my theories. and it needs to be more complex, because if it wanst, it would have been exactly the same story as HL1

stop xen invasion, goverment "clean" up the survivors and all the mess.. and that would suck.

Actually, when I first saw the dune-buggy clip I thought the combine had yellow blood. When I saw the higher res version I realized it was just part of their uniform...Dohh!

Combine could easily be used to refer to the entire organization that is in the fortress, which would including people and things. Think of how we speak of "government" or "big brother". We mean the people, the things, the ideas, ideology, even their actions.

I would bet that the Combine might be the result of government trying to blend xen technology/biology for their own advantages. Now it is out of control.

Very similar to the first, but i'm not expecting amazing originality here. After all the original story was old hat. Some poster somewhere was complaining that Doom3's storyline ripped off Half-Life (an experiment gone horribly wrong). They obviously had no idea that Doom had that storyline about ten years ago, and it wasn't that original then.

i agree with some of you on this and basically this is my idea.... ofc all this is speculation but i would bet on my thoughts being pretty near to the truth.

as everyone knows in HL you open a portal, aliens come trhough, you kill em, you go to Xen the alien world... kill the controller, you met the g-man and find out he has co-ordinated the whole damn thing.

now in 2 your supposed to be working partially for the G-Man and helping him fight the Aliens or Combine. Im guessing the Combine is a mixture of some otehr alien planets and Xen that managed to get through portals that opened in other places... City 17 being one of these. Now the big citadel/tower thingy either landed (like a spaceship or summit) and set itself there OR it was constructed. When you see it the outer walls ahve started to consume the city..... for purposes unknown but probably it needs the are or the city contains something the aliens want. Now the COmbine is the collective of the aliens and the Citadel being the base of operations. The troops are bio-mechs im guessing, i cant see them being humans.... and they are fighting with the aliens against the Human Resistance and the army/Gordon/G-Man/Alyx etc. for control over the city.

thats taking info from various sources and the videos.

Kam

Tbh you should ignore everything that has been said and find out when you play the game... Why Spoil it?

Back