The Fourth Annual Saxxy Awards Announced

Omnomnick

Retired Lead Content Creator
Staff member
Reaction score
Valve have revealed they will be continuing the yearly film making tradition in 2014 with the recently announced Fourth Annual Saxxy Awards.

The Fourth Annual Saxxy Awards will be accepting SFM-created video submissions between September 17th and 24th 2014, but budding directors can get to work on their creations as soon as possible. After the submission deadline of 4pm PST on September 24th has been passed, Steam users will then be given a week to vote for their favourite videos via the Saxxy Award Workshop page. Winners will then be announced on October 1st 2014.

Saxxies.PNG

While this year's event will once again focus on the Source Filmmaker, Valve are hoping to see more entries introduce content related to other fictional universes, rather than just from Team Fortress 2. To accomplish this goal, Valve have introduced a new update which allows a pair of new, optional DLC packs to be downloaded within SFM. These packs include all of the models, particle effects, and sounds from Portal 2, as well as those found within Puny Human Games' "Blade Symphony".

As with every year, a number of different themed categories will also be available. These include "Best Action", "Best Drama", "Best Comedy", "Best Short", and "Best Overall". Entries must not exceed 5 minutes in length except for those in the "Best Short" category, which must be no longer than 1 minute. This year's prizes are identical to those featured in 2013's contest, as the winning contributors will receive the prestigious Saxxy Award for use in Team Fortress 2 while the winners of Best Overall will also be flown straight to Valve HQ for a full tour and a chance to meet Valve's own filmmakers.

A number of important rules can also be found over on the Fourth Annual Saxxy Awards guidelines page, which we highly recommend checking out if you're looking to take part. Last year's entries were rather exceptional, so here's hoping we can have some even better videos this year. Good luck to everyone who plans on entering.

Last edited:
Awesome! I love the amazing SFM's the saxxy awards creates

Between this and the International, Valve sure do love their purple. Also like the International, this is happening a lot early than last year.

@Up
Isn't it ?

Ah, I hate when I have a lot of ideas for a SFM video, when my PC wouldn't handle downloading SFM for 10 hours and also crash whenever something more intense is trying to be made :p Anyway, good luck for everyone who will try their best this year :)

oh ... man ENOUGH WITH THIS DOTA 2 BULLSHIT ALREADY! Who even gives a rat's ass anyway?? Fu** sh** co** crap. And now for the news: Dota2 gives HL fans around the globe the finger...haha...you got nothing!. In other news , Gabe does something uninteresting , and you still get the shaft fuc*ing hellfire. I should really learn to temper my tantrums but jesus ****ing christ...WE DON'T GIVE A **** ABOUT DOTA 2

VALVETIME does a great job doing the valvenews btaw....my anger is only against valve

oh ... man ENOUGH WITH THIS DOTA 2 BULLSHIT ALREADY! Who even gives a rat's ass anyway?? Fu** sh** co** crap. And now for the news: Dota2 gives HL fans around the globe the finger...haha...you got nothing!. In other news , Gabe does something uninteresting , and you still get the shaft fuc*ing hellfire. I should really learn to temper my tantrums but jesus ****ing christ...WE DON'T GIVE A **** ABOUT DOTA 2
Have you noticed where you posted this yet? Also, you might not care about Dota 2, but I'm pretty confident the 9 million active monthly players do.

yes...and I'm sorry...really am. I'm sorry that valve keeps ****ing us in the ass. But I do appolocize to the VT crew...I should have worded my thoughts a bit more..conservativly

Every year, the SFM animators only get better and better. I mean, the people who participate in the Saxxy events, are truly talented people. Of course their going to make something good, but now they also have the possibility to include universes like Portal and Blace Symphony? That is just golden.

Finally we're moving away from TF2, not saying that the Team Fortress universe is bad, but going to something more new and creative is great. I have a good feeling about this year of Saxxy Awards.

@Up

Ah, I hate when I have a lot of ideas for a SFM video, when my PC wouldn't handle downloading :)SFM for 10 hours

I hate it when I have a lot of ideas but then i realize SFM isn't out on mac, and I don't even know how to use it in the first place.

I hate it when I have a lot of ideas but then i realize SFM isn't out on mac, and I don't even know how to use it in the first place.
From what I've heard, SFM is quite easy to use, it's just really confusing in the beginning and ( obviously ) mastering everything is going to take some time. Well, ... . At least we have paper and programs to create storyboards and write down our ideas :/

Back