The I-Rifle: Primary and Secondary shots

DEATH eVADER

Space Core
Reaction score
I think I have worked it out what the primary and secondary shots are from the I-Rifle

Back in 2003, it shot flare-like capsules that burned upon contact (An example in the tunnels vid)

The E3 2004 vid however, the weapon has changed dramatically (Or has more functions). In the 2004 coastline vid, (Gordon uses it in the house) the weapon fires balls of bluish-white energy that disintegrates matter upon contact (Combine soldiers to be precise)

On the strider vids, one of the guys hiding behind the dumpster has the same weapon, and when fighting the striders it has a rapid fire mode and emits a bluish-white muzzle burst (More the reason to believe its the same weapon). This is where I came to the conclusion.

Primary: Rapid fire mode
Secondary: Burst mode that concentrates all energy into one shot

I-rifle? it has a name? I think your prolly right, either that or you can hold down the trigger.

I believe the I stands for incendiarary(sp?) [not very often I can't spell something :p].

It's quite a logical explanation, but the model could have just been a placeholder in either of the presentations.

Pauly said:
I-rifle? it has a name? I think your prolly right, either that or you can hold down the trigger.

Its unofficial name was the I-Rifle (short for Incendiary Rifle) back in 2003, because of the small capsules bursting combine into flames.

I think it is more appropriate to call it the D-Rifle (Disintegration Rifle)

Or the T-Rifle...Not that it stands for anything, but it just looks like Trifle :p

Looks more like a B-RIfle to me, maybe theres more then one type

Anothing thing i noticed is that the energy ball of the 2ndary fire can bounce from one target to another. Right at the end of the 'combine house' section, you can see the energy ball travel from one soldier to another.

It could be like the grenade launcher in Unreal 2:

Primary ~ Fire
Secondary ~ Switch fire mode

Brian Damage said:
It could be like the grenade launcher in Unreal 2:

Primary ~ Fire
Secondary ~ Switch fire mode

Yeah, I was thinking that to.

Chris_D said:
I believe the I stands for incendiarary(sp?) [not very often I can't spell something :p].

It's quite a logical explanation, but the model could have just been a placeholder in either of the presentations.

I think it was a placeholder in E3 2003, tunnels. I've heard rumours from the people who've played the beta that there is a seperate flare weapon to ignite people. However this is just speculation as far as I can say.

The fire I'm guessing is not part of the i-rifle. Otherwise with fire and disintegrate beam = overpowered weapon.

UKchaos2 said:
Anothing thing i noticed is that the energy ball of the 2ndary fire can bounce from one target to another. Right at the end of the 'combine house' section, you can see the energy ball travel from one soldier to another.

House the power of the 'Ark of the Covenant' in a weapon sized delivery system.

That bit just reminds me of the of the end of "The raiders of lost ark" were the beam is jumping from one person to another. Hmmmm, I wonder if Father Gregorie mentions that.

Ive never heard of the I-Rifle before, I dont remember seeing it in any of the movies perhaps i should look again.

It is not the same weapon as the heavy machinegun the resistance soldier is using in the Strider section...slow the video down at the part where the strider kicks the combine APC toward Gordon, a person right beside him has it, this is the best shot you can get of it, it is obviously not the same weapon, just has some similarities.

can someone link me to the vids that have the house?

i can't find it.

westie said:
Ive never heard of the I-Rifle before, I dont remember seeing it in any of the movies perhaps i should look again.

2003-

Tunnel (Bink Only): After trapping those manhacks behind the mesh door, a combine soldier shoots you from a ledge above you. Gordon gets out the I-Rifle and shoots an incendiary capsule at the soldier. The soldier flails as he is engulfed by flames.

2004-

Coast (On the full movie): After coming in contact with a combine road-block (consisting of soldiers and roller-mines), Freeman runs into the two story house. When he shoots a soldier out of a window, Soldiers sneak up behind him. Gets out the I-Rifle and shoots a soldier (and desintergrates him). Running downstairs, he opens the door and two soldiers are waiting for him. Gordon shoots one soldier, but it appears to go from that soldier to the next one.

One thing strikes me. when Gordon shoots the soldiers with the rifle in the 2004 vids, they disentegrate the same way as the rebels do when shot by a strider. Are the rifle and the striders cannon similar in many respects?

could some one give me a link to the full coastline video

Mr Stabby said:
thats not the full vid

That's the entire coastline video from the E3 2003 presentation. Perhaps you're thinking of the E3 2004 presentation? That hasn't been released on it's own yet, you would have to download a shaky-cam version of it somewhere.

Maybe it is the K-Rifle (Kick-ass-Rifle) Or it could be too different wpns...:p

what i'd like is a rollermine launcher.....

but seriously, can i get a vid link, they had it on IGN at one point...

sorry for bringing back an old topic but i didn't want to start another 1. that's good though

anyway, what are you talking about? the blue laser burst is the strider's attack.

primary attack is flare, secondary is the anti-matter beam (which has the same affect of a strider's gluon laser burst). or they could be 2 separate guns with the same look, but with different functions (like the grenade launcher in tfc). all i know is i've seen this gun shoot flares, and the anti-matter beam.

Tons of stuff has changed since the 2003 vids, its likely the flares are gone now.

i thought the gun had a "rebound"...two soldiers were killed in the vid with the house/dunebuggy...and it looked like the shot went past the second, and then hit 'im from behind.

One of the reviews tells us its name has been changed, I believe.

Combine Pulse Rifle

I don't understand why no one has made the connection between the Striders cannon and the I-Rifle.

When that burst of energy is shot out of the I-Rifle, the same effect happens to other players as does the Strider cannon on these players. Basically, they both look the same, act the same, and have the same kind of reaction when used on characters.

As for the bouncing thing, I thought that was pretty evident in the 2004 vid.

My theory on this is that the different fre modes (e.g the Fire and the Distintigrate strider thing) are depending on the bullets you put in the rifle.

And then like tha gauss gun in hl1 you can fire repeatedly or just charge it up then it emits a stronger shot

As i said that is just my theory, but it seems logical. but who knows we'll have to wait till the 16th

Bait said:
I don't understand why no one has made the connection between the Striders cannon and the I-Rifle.

When that burst of energy is shot out of the I-Rifle, the same effect happens to other players as does the Strider cannon on these players. Basically, they both look the same, act the same, and have the same kind of reaction when used on characters.

As for the bouncing thing, I thought that was pretty evident in the 2004 vid.

They have made the connection have u not read this thread (or the many that have been on this subject in the past ?)

"the weapon has changed dramatically" Dont you mean drastically? There is no drama in the fact of a changing gun....

DEATH eVADER said:
I think I have worked it out what the primary and secondary shots are from the I-Rifle

Back in 2003, it shot flare-like capsules that burned upon contact (An example in the tunnels vid)

The E3 2004 vid however, the weapon has changed dramatically (Or has more functions). In the 2004 coastline vid, (Gordon uses it in the house) the weapon fires balls of bluish-white energy that disintegrates matter upon contact (Combine soldiers to be precise)

On the strider vids, one of the guys hiding behind the dumpster has the same weapon, and when fighting the striders it has a rapid fire mode and emits a bluish-white muzzle burst (More the reason to believe its the same weapon). This is where I came to the conclusion.

Primary: Rapid fire mode
Secondary: Burst mode that concentrates all energy into one shot

My guess is that there could be different types of ammo for the gun - flares ammo and bluish stuff ammo
but you're probably right.

KurtCobain said:
My theory on this is that the different fre modes (e.g the Fire and the Distintigrate strider thing) are depending on the bullets you put in the rifle.

And then like tha gauss gun in hl1 you can fire repeatedly or just charge it up then it emits a stronger shot

As i said that is just my theory, but it seems logical. but who knows we'll have to wait till the 16th

Oops looks like kurrt beat me to it

Back