The reason for G Man waking up Gordon? A possible answer!

shade70

Reaction score
Just had a hugh brainwave and I think Ive figured out why the G-Man decided to wake up Gordon at the time he did.

Now, the only thing that was special about the day Gordon was brought back was the first use of the new Teleporter build by Kliener. This was the first working teleporter built since the Black Mesa incident (all the others were destroyed by G-Man when he nuked Black Mesa in Op4).

Now in Black Mesa East when you talk to Dr Mossman, she says that the Combine dont have access to 'local' teleportation technology and can only teleport to & from their Universe. Now the major thing she says is how Xen is the key to teleportation in our Universe so it would seem Combine cannot access or get to Xen as they cannot teleport in our Universe therefore Xen before Gordon is woken up is still inaccessible to the Combine . Now remember according to G-Man- 'Xen is under our Control'

Now, as we find out later, Dr Mossman is passing along all the details about the Teleporter etc to the Combine. This will give the Combine access to XEN! Thats why Gman woke up Gordon -not for Earth - BUT TO KEEP THE COMBINE OUT OF XEN!

When you think about it, all of G-Mans motives seem to be around Xen. He seems to have been the one pushing for the experiments to Xen, so his forces could take over....when everything went wrong and the resonance cascade occurred (I dont think it was planned by G man) he saw the oppurtunity for Gordon to remove the Nilliath and pushed him in the right direction.

This is just guess work and I could be wrong but it all seems to fit. What do you think?

Interesting theory, but the combine seems to have been controlling Nihilianth in Half-life.

AJ Rimmer said:
Interesting theory, but the combine seems to have been controlling Nihilianth in Half-life.

I dont believe they were....if he was under the Combines control then his death wouldnt have changed a thing. How could Xen come under the Gmans control if the Nihilianth was Combine - they would have just replaced the Nihilianth Also apart from the installed technology he had, there is nothing to suggest he was Combine.

Now my theory is that Nihilianth was part of a race under the Combines control, but he escaped, while the rest of his race was destroyed (as is happening to mankind on Earth during the Combines control). That would explain his statements about being the last and also the slavery stuff he was going on about.

Also according to the strat guide what attracted the Combine to Earth was the Dimensional Rift caused by the Cascade. Now if the Nihilianth was under the Combines control wouldnt they have known already and done an Invasion before the Cascade occurred. Plus why didnt they invade directly through Xen if it was under the Combines control?. Also if the Vorts were under Combine control - as you are suggesting, why were they freed when the Nihilianth died? Its like saying all the Overwatch/Stalkers would have been freed when Breen died (if he did) which I sort of doubt.

shade70 said:
I dont believe they were....if he was under there control then he death wouldnt have meant a thing. How could Xen come under the Gmans control if the Nihilianth was Combine - they would have just replaced him. Also apart from the installed technology he had, there is nothing to suggest he was under Combine control.

Now my theory is that Nihilianth was part of a race under the Combines control, but he escaped, while the rest of his race was destroyed (as is happening to mankind on Earth during the Combines control). That would explain his statements about being the last and also the slavery stuff he was going on about.

Also according to the strat guide what attracted the Combine to Earth was the Dimensional Rift caused by the Cascade. Now if the Nihilianth was under the Combines control wouldnt they have known already. Plus why didnt they invade directly through Xen if it was under the Combines control. Also if the Vorts were under Combine control - as you are suggesting, why were they freed when the Nihilianth died? Its like saying all the Overwatch/Stalkers would have been freed when Breen died (if he did) which I sort of doubt.
The vortis were freed because the NT was controlling them, he in his turn was controlled by the combine. When NT died, the vorts joined the human resistance. Some however, are still slaves in HL2. Trainstation vorti for example.
One of the vorts also say something like: "We knew that once the lesser master was defeated (Nihilianth), the greater must also fall in time. (combine)"
NT was in control of his servants in Xen, therefor the combine didn't need any soldiers there, then he died and they had to send troops in (quote: The Borderworld is under our control, FOR THE TIME BEING" End quote /G-man)
And then they were attracted to earth.
Does this makes sense to anyone but me?

The major question then is why can't the Combine teleport locally if they have direct access to Xen and they knew all about it?

The betrayal of Breen by Mossman doesnt really come in to it. She only betrayed Breen cause he was going to kill Vance, who she had the hots for :)

shade70 said:
The major question then is why can't the Combine teleport locally if they have direct access to Xen?
Well I thought what Mossman said was that they can go to Xen and here from their dimension, they just can't teleport from point A to point B in the same dimension. Their teleporter is strictly inter-dimensional.
That's what I thought she said. Could be wrong...

Killing of Nihilanth would (and did) put an end to Combine domination of Xen.

Look at Earth. The Combine took the human species and have a figurehead leader (Breen) run the place. Breen controls the humans through progpaganda, intimidation, civlian protection units, etc. However, Xenians, the dominant species of which seem to be the Vortigaunts, naturally posess telepathic abilities that the humans do not. So, the figurehead leader on Xen, Nihilanth, controlled the population telepathically. That way, Combine never needed anything like civilian protection, as Vortigaunts physically could not rebel. So basically, when Nihilanth bit the dust, Combine were caught with their pants off, losing control of Xen, and the GMan's forces took over.

What I find interesting is who controls Xen now. Apparently the portals didn't close after Nihilanth died, and we know Combine managed to warp to Earth. So, can they warp to Xen? If they can, did they re-take Xen?

AJ Rimmer said:
Well I thought what Mossman said was that they can go to Xen and here from their dimension, they just can't teleport from point A to point B in the same dimension. Their teleporter is strictly inter-dimensional.
That's what I thought she said. Could be wrong...
Yep.. that is what she said. The resistance use teleporters to Xen as a slingshot from Earth to another location on Earth, while the Combine can only go from Earth to Xen and vice versa.

Solver said:
Killing of Nihilanth would (and did) put an end to Combine domination of Xen.

Look at Earth. The Combine took the human species and have a figurehead leader (Breen) run the place. Breen controls the humans through progpaganda, intimidation, civlian protection units, etc. However, Xenians, the dominant species of which seem to be the Vortigaunts, naturally posess telepathic abilities that the humans do not. So, the figurehead leader on Xen, Nihilanth, controlled the population telepathically. That way, Combine never needed anything like civilian protection, as Vortigaunts physically could not rebel. So basically, when Nihilanth bit the dust, Combine were caught with their pants off, losing control of Xen, and the GMan's forces took over.

What I find interesting is who controls Xen now. Apparently the portals didn't close after Nihilanth died, and we know Combine managed to warp to Earth. So, can they warp to Xen? If they can, did they re-take Xen?
I'd say yes. They probably did re-take Xen. Unless their resources there were already spent in which case it most likely was left to rot without a leader.

G-man speaks kinda like a vort, same mannerisms in his speech and such it seems. Seems to tie in nicely with this rather....xen orientated view he seems to have.

Once Nithilanth was killed the Vorts were freed from Combine control because they were only being controlled by a more powerful will in their collective consciousness that they speak about a lot...I think?

ShadowFox said:
Yep.. that is what she said. The resistance use teleporters to Xen as a slingshot from Earth to another location on Earth, while the Combine can only go from Earth to Xen and vice versa.

She didnt actually say Xen - she said 'their Universe', you see a Combine Teleporter right at the end....it needs alot of energy and time to use, compared to the Xen teleporter.

Earth Teleporters in HL2 use Xen as a slingshot (in HL you had to Teleport to Xen, and find another portal to teleport back). The Combine teleporter only teleports to their Universe and vice versa. Nowhere is it said that Xen is in the Combines Universe.

If the Combine did/do control Xen....I keep asking and noone answers WHY CANT THEY TELEPORT TO A TO B ON EARTH? Or even Teleport Troops from Xen?

The portals are there....you dont even need any technology if you are teleporting from Xen to Earth.....why do they need a) Vances/Klieners teleport technology b)A hugh citadel churning out Striders/Synths/Overwatch. Why dont they just send all the Xen aliens (which according to some people they now control) to kill everyone? Why would they need mankind as slaves? They have all the slave labour they need on Xen.

shade70 said:
She didnt actually say Xen - she said 'their Universe', you see a Combine Teleporter right at the end....it needs alot of energy and time to use, compared to the Xen teleporter.

Earth Teleporters in HL2 use Xen as a slingshot (in HL you had to Teleport to Xen, and find another portal to teleport back). The Combine teleporter only teleports to their Universe and vice versa. Nowhere is it said that Xen is in the Combines Universe.
They don't say they can't teleport to Xen either.

AJ Rimmer said:
They don't say they can't teleport to Xen either.

I guess we have to agree to disagree :) I dont think the
Nihilianth or Xen is under Combine control, you say the opposite. nuff said.

One thing is bothering me, why did Breen tell Vance how dark and horrible the Combines universe is? And why was he asking for a host body so he could survive there? Why would he need to? According to you we've BEEN to a planet in the Combines universe (Xen). It aint that bad - a HEV suit is enough to survive there.

shade70 said:
I guess we have to agree to disagree :) I dont think the
Nihilianth or Xen is under Combine control, you say the opposite. nuff said.

One thing is bothering me, why did Breen tell Vance how dark and horrible the Combines universe is? And why was he asking for a host body so he could survive there? Why would he need to?
He needed to leave very fast and preferred to both be alive and in no danger at the same time. Maybe the air is poisonous, or that specific location had dangerous animals, seeing as he was bitching about the specific coordinates.

shade70 said:
When you think about it, all of G-Mans motives seem to be around Xen. He seems to have been the one pushing for the experiments to Xen, so his forces could take over....when everything went wrong and the resonance cascade occurred (I dont think it was planned by G man) he saw the oppurtunity for Gordon to remove the Nilliath and pushed him in the right direction.

There's some amount of evidence to suggest that the G-man knew that the cascade would occur. Why he decided to send in the military to clean up the entire facility and eventually conquer Xen is anyone's guess.

This is what is (IMO) great about HL2's story. This is a very interesting conversation which wouldn't have happened had they come out and told us what was going on with the Combine.

My take on this one, it´s a crazy theory bu I think it fits somehow into the storyline.

What if Freeman was supposed to have died at the end when defeats Nihilant?

I may be just hallucinating but I pretty sure I remmember that Nihilant´s chamber was about to explode when Gordon gets teleported to near G-man, and then he gets the proposal (join me or die).

What if Freeman was never supposed to play a role during Earth history after Nihilant´s death?

After that he has become some sort of legend as we can see by his reputation along the resistance members.

And that with his return, the tides of war are shifted, with a such a morale boost as he is, for the first time in years, the resistance feels confident to fight the combine, to stand up and face them.

And this is perhaps the real objective of G-man, he´s using Freeman in critical points of human history to fight against the combine, he´s used him to destroy the Citadel, and that makes wonder what will be the next assignment of our time-shifter hero........

ShadowFox said:
This is what is (IMO) great about HL2's story. This is a very interesting conversation which wouldn't have happened had they come out and told us what was going on with the Combine.

It's rather like the theories that came out after Matrix Reloaded, except that Half-Life 2 didn't suck like the Matrix Reloaded did...

g man knew the cascade would occur - its a fact.

if you read the opfor manual it has a diary entry by adrian shepherd

'a government man was hanging around the base today, recruiting people for some dangerous mission' orwords to that effect.

this was before the black mesa incident ;)

Ok, here's my explanation (just theories) so far:

The Combines were in control of Xen. Nihilanth was they're "leader" under the Combine, pretty much like dr. Breen is on earth. Nihilanth uses psychic powers to control his people, dr. Breen uses Civil Protection etc. to reign on earth. When Freeman kills Nihilanth he frees the Vortigaunts, pretty much at the same time as G-Man destroys Black Mesa at the end of Op4. I think this means that all the teleporters to Xen were destroyed. However, a dimensional rift between Xen and Earth was created. and Xen wildlife (headcrabs, bullsquids etc.) poured into all of earth. This was probably a one-way rift which means we couldn't enter Xen from Earth. As time progressed some survivors from the Black Mesa incident (Kleiner, Eli etc.) start to work on teleport technology again, this time in Black Mesa East (the "Black Mesa, division East, as it is in East-Europe some place). Somewhere in this timespan the Earth is invaded by the Combine, in a war that only lasted 7 hours, before dr. Breen (another survivor from Black Mesa, the director actually) surrenders Earth to save his own life, and gets to be much like Nihilanth. Now, the combine faction (not race) starts to harvest minerals from earth, and raises a citadel in City 17. Here, they combine human forces with the combines, and mechanically enhances humans to be "super-soldiers". The Combines also destroy much of the earth, making it more and more inhabitable for the real Combine race (draining the oceans, polluting the air (read that somewhere) etc.) At this stage, I do not currently know who is in control of Xen, but I would guess it's not the humans. Now, Gordon Freeman, the "hero" from the Black Mesa incident is employed again, on earth, for the resistance in City 17. Once again, he is proven up to the task and puts and end to the dictator(dr. Breen) (much like in the end of HL1). After that G-Man "takes" you out of world, out of time again. And he says that he will "wake you up again" when he needs work to be done again (HL3).

Just my 50 bucks.. :)

Now, can we all agree that the G-Man isn't really human. I mean, listen to his speech, and in the hint guide (comes with collectors box) it said he talks as if he weren't used to human language, like he isn't sure where to slow down and speed up.

He HAS to be Xen or non-Combine. I think he was part of another race controlled by the Combine and messed up Black Mesa's expirment in order to have Gordon in the end kill the Nihilanth, which enslaved Xen, in doing so, he left Xen free so the G-Mans troops could take it over and maby even assimulate Xen into thier controll.

I think the G-Man wanted Xen in order to gain extrodinary power, as well as possibly start an Alliance with Earth and eventually ultimately take out the combine for good.

AJ Rimmer said:
Yup. Big flash near the end, ring any bells?

You also see him reactivating the nuke that the Black Ops planted.

Ok first off, it has been repeatedly declared that only HL1 is considered official in terms of backstory to HL2. Op4 and Blueshift were both created by a third party that not only owns the rights to all characters it created, but also used a lot of artistic license and did things that don't fit in with the overall story of the Half-Life saga. Most notably there is Race-X, the physical interference of the Gman in certain events (ie opening and shutting doors to sheppard Adrian around, the resetting of the nuke), the fighting inbetween the US army and the black ops (sending in an army to "clean up", and then the Gman sending a black ops force in to "clean up" the army? Ridiculous, the G-man has more than enough political influence to avoid wasting resource unneccessarily like that), and putting Adrian in stasis. Information taken from any of the previous expansions can not be taken as fact because they were outsourced to third parties and not developed inhouse, which it seems future expansions will be (Mark Laidlaw taken on as full time writer, dev team for HL2 has begun work on new levels and missions, but not for HL3).

As for whoever thought that defeating the Nihilanth would not have won Xen over because the combine could simply instate a new Nihilanth, I think that in the time it would have taken the combine to realise that their local teleport system (the Nihilanth itself) was down, genetically engineer a new one and send him in to retake control, the majority of the Vorts would have been able to remove their control collars. While a new Nihilanth may have been instated, the combine would have to begin the slow and arduous task of hunting down every last remaining vortiguant and recapturing him, and then fitting new collars. This is probably why the Vorts fled to earth, to avoid being recaptured by the combine and fitted with new collars.

But Laidlaw did write for both expansions. This was especially true of Barney's trip to Xen in Blue Shift.
Now, I believe that the g-man was aware of Dr Breen's intention to sabotage the test in the test chamber that day, which I believe he did, and that is why the g-man first tried conventional ways to contain the invasion. ie, nuke everything once the scientists have been killed. Other than that I agree with what Aquilo said, except that Black Mesa East has absolutely nothing to do with Black Mesa Research Facility, Eli simply named the base after his old work place- after the combine invasion most likely. Simple as that.

Decay is not official in terms of story, OPFOR and BS are. Laidlaw wrote both stories. Valve didn't make the games because they were already busy with HL2, but Gearbox made the games based on Laidlaw's story. So the nuking of BMRF, Race-X, etc., are official things.

Back