They are not alowed to play Half-Life 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Shyern

I found this will I was looking around earlyer:
http://toshoblog.blogspot.com/2005/03/iranier-syrianer-kubaner-med-flera-som.html#i1111620320

It's in swedish but you can read this part:

Licence Agreement
You agree not to export the Steam Software or allow use of your Account by individuals of any terrorist supporting countries to which encryption exports are restricted by the Bureau of Export Administration, currently, Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Libya, North Korea, Sudan or Syria. You represent and warrant that you are not located in, under the control of, or a national or resident of any such prohibited country.

This is horible!!

Basicly my friend who used to live in Iran but moved here Is not alowed by valve to play this game! I know very many Americans associate these countries with nothing else then terrorist and suicide bombers.

But to put something like this in the Licens agreement is outrageous!

Not to be an ass, but seriously how many people even have a computer there?

It's to do with American laws on trade embargos. America embargoed those countries, and what's the point in having an embargo if companies in your country are still selling to the blocked nations?

-Angry Lawyer

Angry Lawyer said:
It's to do with American laws on trade embargos. America embargoed those countries, and what's the point in having an embargo if companies in your country are still selling to the blocked nations?

-Angry Lawyer
Right. It's still a ****ing stupid law, but it's not like it's VALVe's choice. And it sound pretty easy to ignore...

Iran, for example, is a huge country, with a population of about 70 million, AND it's a very rich country (oil & gas). There definitely is Internet censorship, though, but Iran still has more than 4 million Internet users. Which is more than, for example, in Belgium.

this really sux, you cant just ban millions of people to not play the games, just because there are bad guys in it.

This is what i hate with america, you look at other countries like they animals, thinking that USA is the whole world....its not.

Is it not difficult to enforce though? Anyway, 99% of people scroll right through the licence agreement and will have never noticed the restrictions placed upon them. Oh well...

Shyern said:
Is not alowed by valve to play this game
[...]
to put something like this in the Licens agreement is outrageous!
Not Valve's fault, it seems to be an American law.

This dispute being made here is idiotic.
This section of the agreement is specifically included in all such programs due to the embargoes currently placed on those nations. Its strictly legal cover that is included in almost every type of agreement like this. It does not in effect ban any of those nationalities of people in those countries from playing the game, it instead is intended to keep people from selling directly to these countries.

Ravioli said:
this really sux, you cant just ban millions of people to not play the games, just because there are bad guys in it.

This is what i hate with america, you look at other countries like they animals, thinking that USA is the whole world....its not.

Just stfu, seriously. Thats not even the case in this matter. We do not trade with them because we are at war, Its not that we "don't want them having our stuff because they are all terrorists".

You america haters need to stop stereotyping us. Don't say you hate america just because of a law we have. Thats just ignorance.

This is not the politics forum. This law is not my fault. This is not Valve's fault. I don't give a damn.

End of thread.

Terrorists are everywhere. You cannot get rid of them. There is no such thing as terrorist countries. Morons. Some people should try not to breathe in all the bullshit the media spreads.

Raziel-Jcd said:
Not to be an ass, but seriously how many people even have a computer there?
Quite a lot acshully. Read in PCZone UK that there's a thriving Internet Cafe service in Iraq and have a feeling they play CounterStrike a lot.

MarcoPollo said:
Just stfu, seriously. Thats not even the case in this matter. We do not trade with them because we are at war, Its not that we "don't want them having our stuff because they are all terrorists".
Not to put too big a dampener on your flag waving but do you realise you're not officially at war with any of those countries? Bush declared an end to the war in Iraq on 2nd May 2003!

America has never been at war with Cuba, it only tried to assasinate its democratically elected leader, secretly and illegally I might add.

The rest of the countries I don't know enough about to comment apart from the fact that no military involvement has been officially declared against them. Not that that would stop America.

MarcoPollo said:

You america haters need to stop stereotyping us. Don't say you hate america just because of a law we have. Thats just ignorance.
Quoted For Truth

Well I had some flaws in my statements but I think i got the point across

I can kind of understand America doing something like that. They probably have their reasons. It could have been put in a nicer way though. Not that anyone cares about licence agreements anyway. :upstare:

corkscru74 said:
Not to put too big a dampener on your flag waving but do you realise you're not officially at war with any of those countries? Bush declared an end to the war in Iraq on 2nd May 2003!

America has never been at war with Cuba, it only tried to assasinate its democratically elected leader, secretly and illegally I might add.

The rest of the countries I don't know enough about to comment apart from the fact that no military involvement has been officially declared against them. Not that that would stop America.
Quoted for truth.

This is just international politics as usual. Most countries do stuff like this, and it in no way affects Valve or the game.

Back on topic!!!!! Anyways...there are easy ways to get around it.

There is no such thing as terrorist countries. Morons. Some people should try not to breathe in all the bullshit the media spreads.
Wrong!
A "Terrorist Country" is a country that houses and\or supports terrorism and\or gives aid to terrorism. If they fit that, they are considered a "Terrorist Country".

assasinate its democratically elected leader, secretly and illegally I might add.
You would have to prove that, because you must remember. The US does not do or\and attempt assasinations.

It's not like Valve are going to hunt down anyone who plays their game "illegally".
The EULA is mostly for preventing frivalous law suits.

And anyone who assumes that Americans assume other countries are "animals" is a hypocrite. Seriously, you're simply standing in front of a retarded phrase that sounds slightly intelligent to a dumbass audience.

Of course we understand that not all americans are idiots but that's the picture we get over here. You should be as mad at your foreign politics as we are. :cool:

MarcoPollo said:

ur in war with Iran? :O

We can't let those Cuban terrorists get their hands on CS!

You would have to prove that, because you must remember. The US does not do or\and attempt assasinations.

If I recall correctly it's common knowledge that the U.S. Government has tried to assassinate Castro a number of times. Poisoning his cigars, etc.

Almost every country in the world hate america and the diffinition terrorist contries id the most ****ed up thing I ever heard.

A "Terrorist Country" is a country that houses and\or supports terrorism and\or gives aid to terrorism. If they fit that, they are considered a "Terrorist Country".

This is what media do to you. You have absoluto no idea of what you are talking about here. You believe that Iran govurments wish supports terrorism? Thats ****ed up!

Terrorism is something you cannot fight. Terrorism is hate and if there is somthing USA is good at its getting more people to hate them.

This isn't the political forum. I'm not gonna bother moving it there because it will just end up getting closed along with all the other political threads.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back