this will answer a lot of questions

Reaction score
these facts are taken from some hl2 site

Half-Life 2 uses the Source engine, developed by Valve Software. The engine's minimal requirements are a 700Mhz processor, 128 mb ram and a DirectX6.0 compatible video card. Of course on such a machine, don't expect to see reflective water, bump-mapped textures and dynamic shadows. The game runs with 70 fps with maximum details turned on with a machine such as this: 1700Mhz cpu, 256 mb ram, GeForce4ti4000.

The quality of rendered images in Half-Life 2 is awesome. As for me it is even better then in Doom 3. Here is a short list of engine features:

- Dynamic shadows (and lightning). No comments - promises to be like in Doom 3.

- Powerful particle system. Allows creatoin of different effects - from sparks, to dust particles in rays of sun light.

- Powerful physics engine (based on code, licensed from Havok). All objects in game are interactive - i.e. you can take a barrel and throw it into a shelf with tools and objects that will fall like in real life, making different sounds depending on size (and material) of each object.

- Real time reflective water.

- Bump-mapped materials. Used for decals from guns, clothes\skin of NPC (it makes them look like real people, especially eyes).- ability to create indoor, outdoor and urbanized levels

- Powerful materials system. Remember those moments in Half-Life where you couldn't destroy glass with rockets or wooden doors with grenades? This won't happen in Half-Life 2, because all materials act as they would in real life. If you shoot a wooden door, you can be sure it will open :)

It is good to hear that for real maniacs, it will be possible to cut monsters into pieces and look what is inside them, so basically you can cut a monster's skin and look at his... erm... organs.

Also I want to say some more on characters. As you may have heard, NPC's have muscles! We will be able to see leg muscles when the character runs, jaw muscles when they talk. But the most interesting is that the face is made of little pieces (which resemble muscles I think) to make characters express their emotions as real people do. To do that, Valve hired a doctor who did research on people mimics. But that is not all! Eyes of characters in Half-Life 2 are like you haven't seen in any game - they can be wet, you can see reflections of light sources in them. Also, the characters will be able to move their eyeballs to search for something. For example a cup on the table or person in the room.

And the last thing - information for modders. For creating levels, the Source Engine uses the Valve Hammer Editor, which will ship with the game (along with SDK). Good news is that Valve is going to release the SDK before Half-Life 2 comes out. It will probably be equipted with some kind of test applicaiton, that will allow testing of compiled maps.

"Dynamic shadows (and lightning). No comments - promises to be like in Doom 3."

Valve NEVER said that their shadows would be like in Doom 3.

Yes I know, but some people will read this and when game comes out, they will scream "OMFG WHERE IS TEH DOOM 3 SHADOWS?".

SO if we can cut up the NPC's , does that mean we could have zombie slices and stuff. its kinda sick but i mean you could just chop a zombie into thing slices and have him stacked up until you push it over and it comes apart.

LOL...well maybe not that detailed im thinking...besides this is a game..not biology class.

Originally posted by Farrowlesparrow
SO if we can cut up the NPC's , does that mean we could have zombie slices and stuff. its kinda sick but i mean you could just chop a zombie into thing slices and have him stacked up until you push it over and it comes apart.
yes pretty much i wonder if you can cook them in the fire hmm
ill have a allyx chopped up and then put her in the fire for 20 minutes and then throw her pieces to the headcrabs as headcrab treats :D

-The game runs with 70 fps with maximum details turned on with a machine such as this: 1700Mhz cpu, 256 mb ram, GeForce4ti4000.

- Dynamic shadows (and lightning). No comments - promises to be like in Doom 3.

-It is good to hear that for real maniacs, it will be possible to cut monsters into pieces and look what is inside them, so basically you can cut a monster's skin and look at his... erm... organs.
thats complete BS..
sounds to me like they just made stuff up they thought sounded cool

and this
Bump-mapped materials. Used for decals from guns, clothes\skin of NPC (it makes them look like real people, especially eyes).- ability to create indoor, outdoor and urbanized levels
whats that about?.. they obviously dont have a clue what bumpmaps are

dont you know what a bumpmap is?

its used in 3d modeling when you want to create geometry on, say, a wall but you dont want to model every polygon.. so you use a "bumpmap" that tells the texture its applied on where there should be elevations and where there should be crevices and such..
so you can use a bumpmap for example bulletholes, and the game-engine will simulate a lowering of the goemetry there..
so this "Bump-mapped materials. Used for decals from guns, clothes\skin of NPC (it makes them look like real people, especially eyes).- ability to create indoor, outdoor and urbanized levels" has really nothing to do with bumpmaps..

<edit> im no expert tho, so if im wrong im sorry :hmph:

Originally posted by THU9EN5TE1N
It just makes flat textures look 3Dish and stand out.

yeah thats about it
i had to prove i knew something about it right?

I agree: a lot of that sounds like nonsense. I have yet to hear that Half-life will have dynamic real-time lighting like D3: what it will have is luminosity maps and regular shadowing, but from the e3 movies, I haven't seen anything even remotely like real-time lighting of models (characters that are walking out of shadows seem to get lighter lighter, rather than a line of shadow crawling over their bodies)

HL2 does have extensive use of bump mapping, and I'm sure it will make things like decals and guns look great.

The materials system is exagerration. It doesn't mean that every door will open and every game object will be destroyable. What is means is that objects and materials will have a whole range of properties that determine how they sound and react to various things.

And this:

It is good to hear that for real maniacs, it will be possible to cut monsters into pieces and look what is inside them, so basically you can cut a monster's skin and look at his... erm... organs.

Is pure nonsense. While I'm sure valve will have some neat details on models, perhaps even pain/death skins, no way are they going to have infinately destructible models with all sorts of internal parts. That's just silly.

Originally posted by Apos
I agree: a lot of that sounds like nonsense. I have yet to hear that Half-life will have dynamic real-time lighting like D3: what it will have is luminosity maps and regular shadowing, but from the e3 movies, I haven't seen anything even remotely like real-time lighting of models (characters that are walking out of shadows seem to get lighter lighter, rather than a line of shadow crawling over their bodies)

HL2 does have extensive use of bump mapping, and I'm sure it will make things like decals and guns look great.

The materials system is exagerration. It doesn't mean that every door will open and every game object will be destroyable. What is means is that objects and materials will have a whole range of properties that determine how they sound and react to various things.

And this:

Is pure nonsense. While I'm sure valve will have some neat details on models, perhaps even pain/death skins, no way are they going to have infinately destructible models with all sorts of internal parts. That's just silly.

/agree 100%

Originally posted by Apos

It's not nonsense, it's just exaggerated. We know we can cut monsters into pieces (the propeller video?), but the part with the skin peeling is BS.

I saw this before, did someone double post? Skin peeling would mean there is a flamethrower right? ;)

Back