Tim Langdell might loose his Edge Trademark because hes stupid

Krynn72

The Freeman
Reaction score
Horray for the courts!

For those not familiar with Tim Langdell, check this thread we had on him before : Tim Langdell, biggest a-hole in gaming?

Documents relating to EDGE Games' trademark lawsuit against Electronic Arts are proposing a final judgment that strips Tim Langdell of his Edge trademarks, a settlement EA tells Gamasutra it would be pleased with.

Judge William Alsup cited several issues with EDGE's case, including "compelling evidence that there was no bona fide use of the 'EDGE' trademark between 1989 and 2003," and that "even after 2003, the evidence that plaintiff had been making bona fide use of the 'EDGE' mark in commerce is suspect."

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...lish_Langdells_Edge_Trademarks_EA_Pleased.php

I hate to be a jackass, but why do people say "loose" instead of "lose"? I'm sorry, that's always just irked me.

I read up about this a few days ago, and he got exactly what was coming to him. I'm glad he got his ass handed to him in court, especially with his tactic of going after small indie developers who would less likely fight back against him (since they couldn't spare the expense of the court and layers). I would have loved for him to try pulling that **** off with Valve. Can you imagine how much hate he would get towards him? Hell, I'd have to refrain a few people here from burning down his house since many here are dedicated Valve fans.

What surprises me alot is how Langdell got away with this as long as he did. From what I was told in school, you can't make a copyright claim on a word that is commonly used in everyday vocabulary such as "Edge". Didn't someone at the patent office tell him this?

I hate to be a jackass, but why do people say "loose" instead of "lose"? I'm sorry, that's always just irked me.

****, Digi quick! Fix it before I get made fun of more!

whoa krynn don't loose your cool over it, simple spelling mistake for a dog wearing a wig

What surprises me alot is how Langdell got away with this as long as he did. From what I was told in school, you can't make a copyright claim on a word that is commonly used in everyday vocabulary such as "Edge". Didn't someone at the patent office tell him this?

I'm sure its related to what you just said. He goes after indie devs who can't afford to contest it, even if they're completely in the right. The iphone game Edge was taken down just from the threat of legal actions against them, no contesting. It wasn't until Langdell went up against EA that someone could afford to tell him to stfu.

I truly hope he does lose the trademark, he's a gigantic ****ing ass, I've been following his escapades these past years.

He's one of those conmen who just want to leech off others by trying to exploit various systems in place(legal in this case.)

I remember this dickwad. We had a thread a few of years ago and I was questioning how he could trademark a [normally spelled] word.

Justice is sweet. Tim Langdell loses his trademarks, AND gets kicked out of the IGDA for unethical behavior.

According to a post on the IGDA blog, the organization's board of directors voted to cancel Langdell's membership based on Article III Section 6(b) of their bylaws, which states that membership can be revoked by the board if "the Member has demonstrated a lack of integrity or unethical behavior."

The decision comes in the wake of a decision by Northern California District Court Judge Willam Alsup cancelling Langdell's claim to a number of trademarks related to the term "Edge"

It's still sad though Krynn, that it took this long for them to kick him out, given that his behaviour towards independent game developers in general being unethical was known long before this, but I guess they had to wait for a court of law to "establish" the fact.

lol how the hell he did that?

I will copyright the word "The" so every game or movie that uses must pay me!

I thought he already voluntarily resigned.

He used to be on the board of directors, which he resigned from after everyone found out he was an asshole. Then he was just a regular member like anyone else, but now the board kicked him out entirely.

He used to be on the board of directors, which he resigned from after everyone found out he was an asshole. Then he was just a regular member like anyone else, but now the board kicked him out entirely.

Oh, thanks for clarifying Krynn!

Back