Troubles with Vista (Blue Screen)

JUL3

Space Core
Reaction score
So I just got home after being away for a few days and I've discovered that when I turn my computer on I just get the blue screen. It just says something about disabling a certain driver and contacting my local vendor.
I'm currently in SafeMode (with Networking), and so far I've tried:
- System Restore; it was turned off and, as far as I can tell, cannot be turned back on through safemode.
- Deleting a bunch of stuff, freeing memory.
- Scanning my computer with my Spybot and removing everything it found.

I'm currently in the device manager as well, but I have no idea which device/driver is faulty and thus should be removed, is there any way of telling from this information?

Is there anything else I can try? I'm ready to take it to the shop, but I just wanted to be sure no one here could help first.

Thanks heaps in advance.

Specs + list of connected USB devices when it happens please. Unless you expect Jesus to post here to tell you what to do.

Unfortunately, BSoDs are quite generic and often they never really contain the information required to lead to a fix.

Though generally, first thing's first: remove every single device that's plugged in. I have seen problems like this be caused by USB sticks, malfunctioning scanners and printers if connected by USB. Basically, if it's USB take it out.

I've also seen this problem caused by dodgy internal hardware. This could be faulty front USB ports, DVD drives and hard drives.

I've also seen this error code crop up when there are problems with the RAM, though as it boots fine in Safe Mode I'd be reluctant to think that was the problem here. Worth a try though, Windows Vista has a built in Windows Memory Diagnostic that will run during the next reboot. It should take about 20 minutes to run on a normal pass.

Finally, I've even seen this problem caused simply by a corrupt Windows installation, and solved fully by a full reinstallation of Windows, but I imagine you'll want to leave that until last!

Okay, I unplugged all my USB inputs and it's booted up fine (huzzah). So now I guess I have to weed out the faulty connection? What method would you recommend for doing this?

Simply turn the PC off.

Plug one device in, and boot up.

If it's all ok, leave it in and turn the PC off again.

Then add another device, and repeat.

Okay, I think it's fixed.

Thank you so much Chris, that just saved me a great deal of hassle. :)

Just curious, what device was it?

So what was the bad device?

edit: this is what I get for leaving my reply unsent in the box for 18 minutes

It was one of those USB cables that old-style mobile phones plug into. I actually had no idea it was even plugged in there so there's no loss anyway. I'm using my keyboard and mouse and tested my printer and scanner which are obviously the only USB connections which are permanent and they're all working, so that was a relief.
Alternatively it could have been an SD card (or not, as it isn't USB?) that had been living in my PC for awhile also.

Actually, dodgy SD cards can be right bastards.

Or maybe it's the card reader itself. My internal SD card, and I believe most are like this, is connected internally to a USB header on the motherboard. And when I insert an SD card into it, Windows locks up. Though it could very well be the reader in my case. Needless to say, I don't use it much :)

Could have been a short from that old phone charger cord? Back when I was an idiot in highschool, my friends and I would stick a 1/8" headphone male jack into the USB ports and cause a short to instantly lock up terminals. We once did it to an entire computer lab. Dumb, I know. Weird thing is that it wouldn't even produce a Bluescreen, just a Matrix looking lockup where it even seemed to affect the GPU. Though, back then, Vista had only come out recently so the school was still on XP.

Eh, a short probably wouldn't cause a bluescreen. Usually a short does its damage quickly enough that windows doesnt even have enough time to realize it suffered a problem.

Interestingly, I just unplugged my mouse to use on my laptop and then turned my PC back on before plugging the mouse back in, and I got the blue screen again. Apparently it hates it when something is unplugged as well. Weird.

Back