Troubleshoot: Half Life 2 Multiplayer, Competitive Team-Based Mod needs more!

ChandlerT

Reaction score
Project name:
Troubleshoot

Brief description:
Troubleshoot is a third-person shooter, multiplayer only total conversion Half-Life 2 mod set in a futuristic, sci-fi world. The "robots" once built to defend mankind by Steve Jobs have gone haywire, proving that Mac's actually can get viruses, its just that no one ever takes the time to make them. (This is a joke, I'm well aware we can't legally include that part of the storyline.) The core feature of Troubleshoot is a system of character customization, allowing you to customize your character to any playstyle you'd like. Players choose a base set of equipment, light, medium, or heavy, and a base set of weapons, i.e shotgun and sniper, and then are able to spend a set amount of cash (This is before joining a server, so cash never changes) to upgrade and customize those armor sets and weapons. This includes thing such as a lighter material armor, making you quicker, or a larger clip for your weapon, allowing you to shoot more without reloading. Cash can also be used to purchase active or passive abilities, to further customize your characters, whether you want skills that push you further towards a medic-type playstyle or a run-and-gunner. Players then take their customized sets online and battle other players in a variety of game types.

Target aim:
Mod

Compensation:
We'd love to be published by Source and I think there is a massive possibility that we can be, and in that case, royalties will obviously be provided, but I wouldn't join this project thinking that it is a guarantee.

Technology:
Source SDK

Talent needed:
1 Programmer: We have a couple on the team already, but we could always use extra help from a highly experienced or highly skilled programmer. We'd prefer you already have Source knowledge, but if you are skilled in other areas of C++ and are willing to put in the effort and time, we'd still be happy to have you. Unfortunately, we are not looking for beginning C++ programmers at this time, as this is not really a project you would want to begin learning C++.

2-3 Concept Artists: We are actively searching for both environment and character concept artists at this time. Environments are similar to those found in UT3, with a futuristic, sci-fi feel. Character style can be seen in the images below, and is also pretty self-explanatory following a power armor, sci-fi style as well.

3-4 3D Artists: We're looking at around 18 player models at this time, which is a LOT (9 Human, 9 "Robot"). Our planned technique is creating a extremely high poly model, then reducing using normal mapping until we hit around 6-7k poly, likely with 2 2K maps (hopefully!). If you are unfamiliar with mapping and texturing, but are still an extremely skilled modeler, I'd still like to hear from you as we can always have someone else do the mapping. We are also open to environment modelers, though note that we are looking for ENVIRONMENT modelers, not "prop" modelers. We currently do not need any animators at this time.

2D Menu/GUI Artist: Job involves creating our GUI panels and textures, as well as our equipment customization menu. We already have one person in this position, but I'm always up for the best of two worlds.

3 level designers: After posting for level designers last time, I learned my lesson and would like to make this very clear. We are looking for experienced, very skilled, very good at what you do, level designers. I know everyone has to start somewhere, but this is really not the place to start. We are not looking for someone that can make a boxed room, with a few pillars and a bridge. While this sounds completely harsh and that I'm a total jerk now, this will likely save me many a MSN conversation in the future. For those that are experienced level designers, our levels follow a linear, progressive pattern. They are not arenas, but rather maps akin to Counterstrike, GoW, or the Payload gametype from TF2. (On a semi-side note, we don't have placeable guns or ammo, so as a level designer, you won't have to decide where to place each gun. Huge bonus imo!)

1 Writer/Designer: This ranges from ideas for level designs to abilities and customization options. Just someone to back me up with some help as far as designing goes.

Team structure:
We are currently made up of:
1 Writer/Designer
2 Concept Artists
1 Character 3D Artist/Texturer
2 Animators
2 Programmers

http://www.troubleshootgame.info

Contacts:
Email: [email protected]
My MSN contact is: [email protected]

Previous Work by Team:
None

Additional Info:
forumwoman.jpg
forumpower.jpg

harvester.jpg
(Tough to tell, but this bad boy is actually fully 3D, this isn't a concept. Our planned use for him is an AI-Controlled creature that can be summoned by a special ability.)

You can also view our current work on our third-person camera here: YouTube - Troubleshoot Camera Demo

We are a relatively new project, only beginning about 2 or 3 weeks ago, but we are growing fast. This is a professional level project, and thus we are seeking at least near-professional people. This is not a mod we want to release as low quality, but rather close to the polish and quality of previous Source mods such as TF2 and CS, and we fully believe we can accomplish this.

Any.

Project name:
Our planned technique is creating a extremely high poly model, then reducing using normal mapping until we hit around 6-7k poly, likely with 2 2K maps (hopefully!).

Um, what? Are you saying each character will have two 2K textures, or are you doing something weird where all your characters will simply be textured on two maps? 2K maps are absurdly overkill for characters in the source engine.

Also, that guy has MASSIVE DELTOIDS HOLYSHIT. And why are all of your images squashed?

Anyways, goodluck on your mod. You have tons and tons of work ahead of you.

We'll be starting with 2 2k's, and yes I mean normal maps/textures. Yeah its a bit of overkill, but if the engine can be pushed farther without suffering a hit, why would we not do it?

All the images are squashed cause they weren't made to go on forums. Most of them were drawn and colored high-res and a massive size, so resizing them just messes them up, but I don't really have another choice unless I want my post to be ridiculously long and ugly

Thanks for your feedback.

Trust me, with two 2k maps on each character, you will suffer a hit, and for no benefit. And on top of that, you will mess up the textile density for the game by having very high res character textures next to low res environment textures from non-custom assets.

Back