Troy Davis

It's unbelievable that he was executed after most of the witnesses recanted their testimonies and no physical evidence was presented.

Not the first time it's happened, won't be the last. I'm categorically opposed to the death penalty in any case, but even so it seems like the system has utterly failed in this case. Whether he was guilty or not, there should be no room for reasonable doubt.

things like that are what give me this fear of being jailed for no reason and still be jailed even if my inocence is proven but the whole justice thing doesnt recognize,I have seem varios similiar cases so thats why I dont feel confortable near cops

Not the first time it's happened, won't be the last. I'm categorically opposed to the death penalty in any case, but even so it seems like the system has utterly failed in this case. Whether he was guilty or not, there should be no room for reasonable doubt.
What about Anders Breivik?

What about him? He might deserve the death penalty, but that shouldn't be what dictates whether or not we give it to him. It has to be a means to an end, and I'm not sure how killing him is going to improve anything. Show me that capital punishment can be an effective deterrent and I might change my tune, but I still wouldn't think it's right.

But yeah, now we're talking about the death penalty in general, and not how the system failed in this case. Which I guess is still on topic, i'unno.

I'm pretty sure he was guilty, considering a lot of the witnesses still hadn't recanted and most of the evidence does tie him to it, clearly. However, he should not have been executed given the circumstances. Any time there is even the slightest issue such as a single witness recanting, etc, the sentence must be commuted to life. I'm not shedding any tears over him, but it sets a terrible precedent.

Funnily, nobody said a word about the other execution that took place on the same day. I'd estimate it's because that guy's case doesn't help anybody's political/legislative motivations.

why did the witnesses recant?
If I remember correctly they said they were coerced, some threatened, by police into giving that testimony. Thing was- they haven't ALL recanted. Those still left are reliable (if it was true what I heard on the radio, some of them were Air Force personnel) and a bunch of other evidence still directly links him to the murder.

From what I've read seven of the nine original non-police witnesses recanted or contradicted their testimonies, and there is some indication that one of the two who didn't may have been the actual murderer. Also lol @ unimpeachable reliability of military personnel.

Like what? As far as I've heard/seen there is practically no evidence whatsoever, just testimonies.
If I recall correctly some bloody clothes with the victim's blood were removed from Troy Davis' home. However the cops didn't have a warrant to enter the house so the evidence wasn't admissable in court.

Back