Upcoming Release

Probably :D

I'm guessing alot of the cs:s beta servers will convert really fast :)

lucazone, your the man. i appreciate your answer very much, helped me consider the best choice.

ok, another question... the normal standard (presumable) DVD-edition (that you can actually hold) contains much less content than the silver steam version... but its for the same price! is this a way to get more people to the steam service, or is there some catch?
the normal games we buy, or at least, the games I buy, are always 50 €os, and that includes taxes and stuff, otherwise i woulda know. so its kinda obvious the game has taxes already included. however, the steam version seems keen to have a bigger price, because its a little 'new way of buying'... it just doesn't feel right.
i asked my dad about it and replied i shouldn't trust buying games over the internet without having a real object sent to me.

what i am going to do is sending gabe, or some pr guy from valve or steam an email about the taxes thing, and being able to proove i bought the steam package without any technological difficulties (say your computer crashed and all your files on it?)

i am open to suggestions. thnx in advance

Pureball thanks *but* I've already entered my key to get CSS:Beta, I'll guess I'll just have to see (hope I can find the coupon) :D

found it - u can all rest easy now.

Why do you guys think that valve announced the presale date less than 24 hours before that date. I think its because they're nervouse about getting thier steam bandwidth slammed and they know that this way the first day the of the process will just be the die-hards who check this sight 20 times a day downloading and be able to meet the demand, but if they announced the online purchase date way in advance everyone and there cat would be lining up weeks early and bring the steam transfer rate to a crawl. Its actually a smart way to solve thier bandwidth distribution issue. Lets hope they use the same supprise attack for the release date of hl2.

Steampowered forums are down. From the status page the bottom graph shows a bottleneck has been met. Not looking good so far, not enough supply for the demand.

OMFG! I AM SO #$&*#$ ANGRY !!!!!! WTF " YOUR SUBSCRIPTION TO HALF LIFE 2 SILVER HAS NOT BEEN COMPLETED, BECAUSE STEAM SERVERS ARE CURRENTLY UNABLE TO PROCESS THE TRANSACTION"

YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO PLAY HALF LIFE 2 SILVER UNTIL THE SUBSCRIPTION PROCESS IS COMPLETE. WE ARE SORRY (whats &#$*$ING new there) FOR ANY INCONVENIENCE THIS MAY CAUSE. THE STEAM NETWORK IS WORKING TO RECTIFY THIS SITUATION, AND WILL NOTIFY YOU AS SOON AS THE TRANSACTION IS COMPLETE."

What a load of f-ing bullshyt. Steam is a load of crap. I know damn well there is $1,500 on my Visa available and thats not the reason why it didn't go through. This is my day off, I've been waiting anxiously even to play CS:S or DoD:S

:flame: :flame: :flame: -poofy

steam is running unusually slow here... i just restarted steam and voila, there it is... nice screen.

11.39 tax. Don't like that, but I am used to tax incl in the netherlands.

layp do you live in the netherlands? does the package mean it needs another tax added to it or is it already INCLUDED in this package?

SimonomiS said:
Why would it be cheaper? Exactly the same as buying it in store, just no (6) CD(s) or DVD.

It should be cheaper as Valve is cutting out the distributors fees from the middle (vivendi and whoever else). As it stands, when you compare the Standard Retail and Bronze packages (which get you the same thing), the retail package is actually £1 cheaper.. and that before 17.5% vat is added to the steam cost :/

Rip Off IMO :hmph:

huh? now i lost it really.

first, why is the steam silver package (without tax) around the same amount of money like halflife 2 dvd edition, and the content of the steam package is even more than the original dvd (that is for me mind you, silver package = 59 usd, converted to euros is 49 €, and an orignal game (for example doom 3) is around the same amount. why is half life 2 standard retail the same price as the silver version, while the retail has much less content??) ?
and how come the standard retail are referred the same price as bronze?

please clear up some things, im thinking of buying through steam, but don't know what to do, and especially be certain how things work??

Updated Danish prices with tax and shipping:

Bronze: $62.44 (377.76 DKK)
Silver: $74.94 (453.37 DKK)
Gold: $142.39 (861.46 DKK)

I was going to purchase the gold edition, but...damn!

European VAT

Where does it say that in Europe we have to pay local country VAT on an American purchase?

This would be a first, and involve Valve collecting the VAT and then sending to the governments of each European country. Why would they do that?

I've bought tonnes of stuff in the States, both online and physical from UK and never had to pay British VAT on them; it's part of what makes internet shopping in USA attractively priced.

At work my customers are American, and they pay no VAT because they are outside the EU. How can these rules change for one game, on the internet?

The only time you have to pay tax and duties is when you have a physical item entering the UK thats value is more than £18.50 (including shipping), in which case you have to pay duty (depends on item but usually 4% or so) and import tax (at 17.5%) plus a brokerage fee to courier (varies from £3 to £10, Post Office cheapest and UPS most expensive).

The only way I can see any tax on this for Europeans is if you buy the GOLD package which means some physical items will be shipped to you. Customs & Excise will consider the value of these items to be $30 ($98.95-$59.95) plus shipping of say $5 which would equal £19.50 (ish) and be liable to duty, import tax, and courier charge.

Those who buy vitual BRONZE and SILVER should not have any VAT at all, unless something very unusual is going on.

StooMonster

Updated Danish prices with tax and shipping:

Bronze: $62.44 (377.76 DKK)
Silver: $74.94 (453.37 DKK)
Gold: $142.39 (861.46 DKK)

I was going to purchase the gold edition, but...damn!

HAHA Mercapto my lovely little friend. Bow to me, Cause I.. you master has bought the Gold Edition :D

baka-raven said:
HAHA Mercapto my lovely little friend. Bow to me, Cause I.. you master has bought the Gold Edition :D
Quoted for emphasis :p
All the cool people bought the gold edition, heh :D

I dislike how the Gold edition is a logo of a lot of stuff, whereas silver is a much cooler logo ! :LOL:

not that good a deal works out to £32quid with tax for the bronze about the same as in the shops...

Vertz said:
not that good a deal works out to £32quid with tax for the bronze about the same as in the shops...

What tax? Bronze is £28 via Steam if you live in UK.

StooMonster

Back