[UPDATED] Steam Machine Beta Specifications Released

Lobster

The Freeman
Reaction score
Update:
Valve have recently confirmed to Forbes that, while their beta machines will indeed run Nvidia graphics cards, the Steam Machines will be available in 2014 with alternative technical specifications, including hardware options from competitors AMD and Intel. Doug Lombardi, Valve's VP of marketing, had this to say:

Last week, we posted some technical specs of our first wave of Steam Machine prototypes. Although the graphics hardware that we've selected for the first wave of prototypes is a variety of Nvidia cards, that is not an indication that Steam Machines are Nvidia-only. In 2014, there will be Steam Machines commercially available with graphics hardware made by AMD, Nvidia, and Intel. Valve has worked closely together with all three of these companies on optimizing their hardware for SteamOS, and will continue to do so into the foreseeable future.

While this most recent announcement has helped to shine a little more light on the Steam Machines project, there is still so much we have yet to learn regarding Valve's upcoming hardware. We'll be sure to keep you up to date when we learn more about Steam Machines, SteamOS, or the Steam Controller!

Original Post:
In an update to the Steam Universe community group, Valve have detailed the hardware specifications of its upcoming Steam Machines beta. While the beta will focus primarily on the development of Valve's own prototype unit, it is pointed out that units from third-party companies may differ greatly in power and cost - with different builds being aimed at the tastes of specific customers.

machines-jpg.24474

The Valve prototype, which will be shipped to 300 lucky people this year, will be aimed at the high-end user. With combinations of high-performance components chosen to run the latest AAA games available. Not all the units in the beta will contain the same parts, however. For example, some units will carry an Nvidia Titan graphics card, while others in the beta will carry a weaker GTX660 graphics card.

The specifications for the beta are as follows:

• GPU: some units with NVidia Titan, some GTX780, some GTX760, and some GTX660
  • CPU: some boxes with Intel : i7-4770, some i5-4570, and some i3
  • RAM: 16GB DDR3-1600 (CPU), 3GB DDR5 (GPU)
  • Storage: 1TB/8GB Hybrid SSHD
  • Power Supply: Internal 450w 80Plus Gold
  • Dimensions: approx. 12 x 12.4 x 2.9 in height
The goal is to find an optimal starting point for Valve's own retail unit. However, Valve are keen to stress that all future Steam Machines will be evolving systems, and will be upgradable at the user's discretion just like any other PC - using the same readily available components. Even the case, designed specifically for the prototype, will be open-sourced, with CAD files available for anyone wanting to recreate their own Steam Machine entirely from scratch.

Other companies preparing to release their own Steam Machines in 2014 will not only be chasing high-end users. There will also be boxes aiming to attract customers looking for a more compact and tidy system, along with lower cost alternatives aimed towards less taxing games. Valve also hope to use Steam to make the proccess of choosing hardware easier, so that customers can find the best solution for the games they like to play. Details of this should be available soon.

So the big question many people are going to ask is, "What makes a Steam Machine any different from the expensive gaming PC I already own?" The answer is nothing at all. Any device capable of running the SteamOS can be a Steam Machine. Valve recognize that many people will want to stick with their standard desktop PC setup, and are hinting at future solutions to allow living room streaming without the need for a second expensive system.

The beta is expected to start this year and Valve are promising a more in-depth look at the new Steam Controller soon.

Attachments

• slide.jpg
    slide.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 17,226
  • Machines.png
    Machines.png
    142 KB · Views: 411
  • Machines.jpg
    Machines.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 16,683
"So the big question many people are going to ask is, "What makes a Steam Machine any different from the expensive gaming PC I already own?" The answer is nothing at all." Well......Alrighty then.

"So the big question many people are going to ask is, "What makes a Steam Machine any different from the expensive gaming PC I already own?" The answer is nothing at all." Well......Alrighty then.

Were you expecting something else? I think the entire idea behind Steam Machines was to extend Steam to the living room, so people can play with a controller from their couches.

The idea is pretty self explanatory.

I just need "SteamOS" installed on my machine and I can call it "SteamMachine". Hell yeah!

I think the point is that game developers will now (theoretically) have a preconfigured set of hardware to optimize for and test on. The current situation for PC gaming is a total cluster**** when it comes to hardware configs, and that makes it a nightmare for developers to test their software on. People always bitch about how buggy games are on pc but don't realize its because there is no feasible way for companies using lots of tech to test on any and all possible configurations. Steam Machines will give them the opportunity to at least be able to provide some guarantee of quality performance on that pre-configured set of hardware.

Buy a Steam Machine, get guaranteed performance and quality. That's the intention of it.

It was just my first impression, Sounded a bit weird the way they put it, even though its ture.

All Im waiting for are the first images and prices.

I'm with MindCrack on this. Can't wait to try out Steam OS.

Well the hardware seems quite powerful, much more than the PS4/Wii U/Xbox One. Though, the prices of these boxes is what's scaring me now. Considering that a titan goes for about $1,000, I'm worried if the Steam Boxes will be able to "compete" with the next-gen consoles. Either they are going sell these at a huge loss, or there are a lot more boxes with less powerful hardware for a possibly cheaper price that we haven't seen yet. I'm going for the ladder.

Back