Upgrading to a 4870

-Psy-

Walking round in women's underwear
Reaction score
So I'm upgrading to a Sapphire 1GB 4870(!) but I have a few questions.

1) My current card is connected by a cable with a 6-pin connector on one end and 6-pin connector on the other end which goes straight into the powersupply. Now I'm wondering if another cable is supplied with the card as all I can find when I search for a such a cable is something like this.

2) I plugged my card into the other 6-pin slot on the powersupply and when the computer was booted up a HUGE HIGH-PITCHED NOISE burst out of the PSU. So is it worth the risk of plugging the second cable for the 4870 into the connector which causes the high-pitched noise, or would you recommend buying a new PSU?

what is your psu, sounds to me like you dont have enough power

Jeantech Artic 600W.

Plugging the same card (8800GTS 320) into the other 6-pin slot on the power-supply causes the high-pitched noise but in the alternate slot it works perfectly fine.

noises in general coming out of your computer are a bad thing. It's up to you, although the safest thing to do is to obviously replace the PSU rather than pick the slot that makes no noise. It's a gamble really, but know that you could be killing a component/your computer if you lose.

I'd say new PSU is worth it :-P

A new PSU doesn't sound like the solution.

It sounds to me like you haven't plugged in the 2nd power cable yet!!!

I upgraded a week ago and I've had no problems. I guess I plugged the cable back into the 8-pin instead of the 6-pin which is what caused the high pitch-noise. :(

Anyway, the 4870 is great. Now I can run Fallout 3 with more then 10 frames per second! :D

Back