PCI-E Slot Borked?

Pulse

Reaction score
Greetings helplife2,

I recently purchased a brand new Sapphire HD5770 (1GB DDR5) as a replacement for my old GPU (an Nvidia Geforce 8600 GT) as I thought it had died when I came to turn on my computer a few months ago and I was receiving no signal from my monitor. After having battled with countless drivers and inspecting the card and finding no physical defects I decided to get a replacement (mainly for DX:HR) and to use the on-board graphics in the mean time (Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family is the driver name).

After unboxing my new Sapphire and following all of the installation instructions I had it firmly secured into the PCI-E slot of my motherboard and it was all ready to go. Upon turning my computer on and starting up there was no 'New hardware detected' box that usually pops up in the lower right hand corner of the task bar. Again I double checked to make sure the card itself wasn't damaged and that it was working and powered correctly (as it requires additional power from the PSU via a power cable that connects to the GPU). I have a 550w PSU and this card requires a minimum of 400w to power so that's all correct and I tried disabling the onboard graphics via the device manager and BIOS as instructed in the manual, yet it still won't recognise the card. I also made sure to wipe all of the old Nvidia drivers using Driver Cleaner Pro before installing the new card.

So this lead me to the ultimate conclusion that perhaps the PCI-E slot could be the issue? Having been unable to detect two different video cards I'm starting to think this may be the case... but to be honest it seems fairly unlikely so I'm wondering whether it's just a case of screwed drivers or something?

Any clues anyone?

Install the card.
Then install the drivers from the website.

I'm a bit confused. Have you actually plugged the monitor into the GPU as opposed to the mobo? And did you install drivers etc?

Install the card.
Then install the drivers from the website.

Did this to no avail.

I'm a bit confused. Have you actually plugged the monitor into the GPU as opposed to the mobo? And did you install drivers etc?

Yeah but I don't get any signal from the monitor when I do so I guess the card itself isn't being detected.

Back