USB 3 able to power your monitor, laptop, etc

Krynn72

The Freeman
Reaction score
I had no idea this was possible. Wonder why we haven't seen anything like this yet?
http://www.techhive.com/article/2036155/nextgen-usb-superspeed-to-eliminate-power-cords.html
Intel has announced that the Thunderbolt and USB SuperSpeed (USB 3.0) specifications will soon double data transfer speeds, opening up peripheral pipes to greater throughput.

But what Intel hasn’t hyped much is the fact that the upgrade to the USB Super Speed 3.0 spec will also boost power transfer in both directions from 10 watts to 100 watts.

For USB 3.0 (also called SuperSpeed), the data transfer speed increase is evolutionary, but the power transfer is revolutionary, according to Jeff Ravencraft, president of the USB Implementers Forum (USB-IF). The USB-IF is a nonprofit organization founded by the developers of the USB specification, which includes Intel, Microsoft, and Hewlett-Packard.

“This is going to change the way computers, peripheral devices, and even HDTVs will not only consume but deliver power,” Ravencraft said. “You can have an HDTV with a USB hub built into it where not only can you exchange data and audio/video, but you can charge all your devices from it.”

For example, a laptop typically requires 65 watts to power it and charge its battery, which leaves additional power for displays or other peripherals. At last year’s Intel Developer’s Forum, the USB-IF demonstrated a USB SuperSpeed hub powering a Lenovo notebook, which was also sending audio/video to two other displays while being charged from the cable. The built-in hub eliminated the need for separate power bricks for each device, Ravencraft said.

I was actually really interested by this. The sooner we can get rid of shitty power bricks, the better.

Yeah, I think if/when they pair it up with those wireless charging mats, it could really streamline how we charge and power our stuff.

I wonder will this affect PSUs. As in, will manufacturers have to make power supplies for PCs with the fact that people might be powering their monitor, external HDs, etc. through USB3 instead of their own power lead.

I wonder will this affect PSUs. As in, will manufacturers have to make power supplies for PCs with the fact that people might be powering their monitor, external HDs, etc. through USB3 instead of their own power lead.
Yes, PSUs will have to be more powerful. The power has to come from somewhere.

In retrospect I'm not sure why I asked. It's kind of obvious.

It's a good thing to consider though, and strange that they don't mention it in the article. A new standard for PSUs is no small detail. I'd imagine motherboards would have to have a new power input as well, in order to supply the USB3 ports.

I think it would make more sense to have a single powered USB3 hub and power your non-computer devices from that.

Well, like the article says, you could power a laptop, and other stuff on a single powered usb hub. Not as practical for Desktops, but still, you could potentially have one hub powering multiple monitors, a speaker system, your powered external hdds, etc.

And now that I think of it, its odd that my USB3 external hdd needs a separate power source. It must just be a matter of people catching up to the technology.

Krynn,you forget 1 very important thing. Not all people have 100 watts free from their power supply to share with the motherboard.
It is made so anyone with enough power to start up the pc can use the external.
and 100 watts aint no joke in the microchip world. imagine one port sucking 100 watts plus(the max you are suggesting).That is manageable to a degree.
But if you imagine 4 ports sucking 100 watts each,now that is ridiculous.Not only will you overload the motherboard and the whole usb bridge,you will pay a lot more for that 400 watts,and the final problem,your usb bridge will start generating heat and a magnet field(since you will need to increase the power of the electricity). The last 2 problems are the biggest reason they don't do that with external drives,monitors and such.

My computer can handle it. And an external drive wouldn't need nearly 100 watts. They can power the 2.5" drive on a single usb2 port already, the full size ones I doubt require significantly more.

But fine, I'll settle for a powered USB3 hub that can do it then.

Back