Utah bringing back Zion Curtains to bars/eateries

CptStern

suckmonkey
Reaction score
this is ridiculous/insane. TLDR: in Utah bars/restuarants serving alcohol cannot pour the alcohol in front of a patron; it must behind a curtained partition

So-called Zion curtains separating diners from bartenders are not only back, the opaque partitions unique to Utah are now closing on eateries whose only alcoholic beverage is beer.

The change means servers at new eateries that serve only beer may not pop off a cap on a beer bottle or pull the tab on a can in view of customers. They must install partitions or build backrooms to store or pour beer with a 3.2 percent alcohol content by weight. Heavier beer is not allowed.

The restrictions are spelled out in two separate bills passed last spring and this summer. Language in the bills is confusing, and key lawmakers said Monday they’re unclear who spearheaded the effort to require partitions in beer-only eateries.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/52477959-78/beer-restaurants-partitions-utah.html.csp?page=1

this law isnt new. it was repealed in 2009 but is now back covering a wider range of establishments that serve alcohol

the biggest kick in the nuts is that some of the partitions are made out of clear glass

20090107__biz_Alcohol_0108~5_Gallery-749227.jpg

the point of the curtains? Utah is predominately mormon:

The name comes from "Zion," a reference to the LDS (Mormon ) Church whose prohibitions against drinking alcohol heavily influenced Utah's liquor laws.

also:

The partitions “accomplish nothing,” Melva Sine, Utah Restaurant Association chief executive, said Monday. “This serves no purpose. This is the same beer that children see sold in hundreds of supermarkets and convenience stores throughout Utah.”

it's pandering to religious crazies

Just buy in a bottle of wine, and you avoid the regulations.

they cant open it in front of you or pour it in front of you. all alcohol is now covered under the zion curtain law

I for one welcome our new curtain overlords.

but when someone drinks it everyone see it isnt?

Stupid shit. If I was a bar owner I'd love it- can use it to water down your drinks basically right in front of your customer LOL

Back