Valve: No Steam Dev Days this Year, Look to GDC Instead

-smash-

Content Director
Reaction score
We could have guessed as much, but now it's official: Valve will not be holding a Steam Dev Days conference this year. Instead, as ValveTime reported a few weeks ago, Valve will be focusing their energy on the Game Developer's Conference 2015.

In a statement made to Gamasutra today, Valve said that "Steam Dev Days was a great way to brief a large number of Steam developers... This year our focus will be a bit different, so we are planning a larger than usual presence at GDC. So, there will not be a Steam Dev Days this year, but we will certainly consider doing it again in the future."

You can see most of last year's Steam Dev Days presentations on YouTube and on the event's official website.

Last edited:
That's a shame considering how informative and interesting most of the presentations that came out of the event were. Though this also makes me cautiously optimistic for this year's GDC; and curious to see how Valve plans to incentives people to purchase a Steam Machine and/or a Steam Controller and what changes they've undergone over the last year and a half.

I think the guys at Valve are super-busy these days. They have plenty of work to do: handle the CS:GO boom, translate Dota2 to Source 2 engine (this task is so huge, they had to skip all the seasonal events for the game), Source 2 itself has to be at a stage when it requires high attention, Steam is bigger than ever also got some competition, SteamOS is trying not to sink in the swamp of disinterest of gamers/developers, and (maybe) new games are in the works, too. So, well... I don't have exact information about how many talents are working at Valve currently, but the list above should be enough for so many, and these are only the public/known projects of the company.

Back