Valve Partners With Limelight Networks

SpuD

Reaction score
Thanks to DiSTuRbEdofX, I have been pointed to this Yahoo! article. It seems that Valve has had a strain on bandwidth, so Valve selected Limelight Networks to bring more content servers. There is one thing particularly interesting in the article ( bold words ):
Gabe Newell, founder of Valve. "With our current games generating more Internet usage each month than Italy's total online traffic, we know we have demanding customers. And, as we approach the release of Half-Life 2, we are anticipating increased usage. Our hosting partnership with Limelight Networks will be a tremendous step toward helping us provide high quality service during the heavy peak loads generated by these avid gamers."
Take a moment and read the article, good news for steam users.

mah first news post in a while, im a bit rusty :eek:
and I just had to steal willh's spotlight :p

t00t t00t t00t :D

Hopefully it will be here on my birthday :D

Is that an actual fact about Italy or was Gabe being flippant?

technically, since the release is in the future, it will always be upcoming until it is released.

: ) . . . oh wait i mean :(

Teh Gab3 said:
...And, as we approach the release of Half-Life 2...

I doubt this means anything... the word "approach" only denotes that we are coming closer, not a particular time.

April 2004 here we come.

we've been approaching the release ever since Valve started. ;(

synth said:
bah damn thee, thats exactly what I wrote in my quick reply, before I saw yours.
:p

synth said:

Well more and more I let that quote about the release of hl2 going through my head, the more I think that its coming out soon ;)

well atleast their kepping us on our toes!! i want the game already!

shut up! all of you! its good news ; (
/me runs away crying.

Come on people, stop doing the fragmaster and be a bit more positive :p At least he didn't say "when HL2 will be released next year" or anything like that.

This does lend weight to the theory that at least part of the delay was based on Steam not being ready to handle all of the traffic. Maybe they have been looking for the right "partnership" all this time.

Hi all.

Sounds to me like good news. Especially if steam was what was holding back hl2. Then it shouldn't take to long anymore.

Well, they said the game would follow after the SDK... and that is only in the next few weeks or so. So we might be getting HL2 in 2-3 months (April as it's been rumoured). Here's hoping. :thumbs:

RoyalFool said:
Well, they said the game would follow after the SDK... and that is only in the next few weeks or so. So we might be getting HL2 in 2-3 months (April as it's been rumoured). Here's hoping. :thumbs:

Lets hope that it may be before April :)

Feb-March or early April. I think Gabe will release the game even before April. Its the least he can do. SURPRISE US GABE!!

well i really hope it will come out on my birthday ^^ (24 march) :thumbs:

Element Alpha said:
Hi all.

Sounds to me like good news. Especially if steam was what was holding back hl2. Then it shouldn't take to long anymore.

Do you really think valve would have held back the biggest game release just because steam did not work. Surley the would have got it in shops first a worried about the steam version later.

Whatever I hope it out soon, before my birthday (Feb 7th) would be nice. Yeah as if :)

Didn't come out on my bday so everyone shut up about hoping its on your bday, its old, real old, dismount, as in the horse is dead. Thank you.

But my birthday is only on December twenty-seco. . .
oh hell
btw, "doing the Fragmaster" would mean being right ; D

"For example, the gender gap is most pronounced in Italy and smallest in Taiwan. According to the study, 41.7 percent of Italian men are online compared to 21.5 percent of Italian women. In Taiwan, the difference is 25.1 percent for men and 23.5 percent for women."

source:
http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/internet/01/14/geek.study.reut/index.html

so, pretty much people are online in italy. if gabe says the truth, uuh.. :D ;)

cod56 said:
Do you really think valve would have held back the biggest game release just because steam did not work. Surley the would have got it in shops first a worried about the steam version later.

You would think that they would release it in retail ye, but Gabe has stated before that he want's to release the game first via Steam, then via retail...so it could be.

Anyways, I am glad theyre are increasing their bandwith, it was necessary ffs :flame:

lonestar said:
"For example, the gender gap is most pronounced in Italy and smallest in Taiwan. According to the study, 41.7 percent of Italian men are online compared to 21.5 percent of Italian women. In Taiwan, the difference is 25.1 percent for men and 23.5 percent for women."

source:
http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/internet/01/14/geek.study.reut/index.html

so, pretty much people are online in italy. if gabe says the truth, uuh.. :D ;)

Everyone who plays HL/TFC/CS wether its occasionaly or a lot, uses Steam. 90% of those ppl let steam start up when they boot, and we are talking about gamers here, so they are constantly online, running the program. So imagine what happens if you release a patch that weighs 2 MB :p
All those ppl start updating, some crash, some are restarting, the forum gets spammed...they must have a serious Inet bill :D

cod56 said:
I would say hell yeah.

HL2 being released on Steam is what will drive this online game delivery system onto millions of new consumers. Steam needs this publicity. Every HL2 review will have a snippet of what Steam is all about and how you can buy the game through it if you can't be fudged transporting your ass to a game shop. Eventually people will develop preferences as to how they want to buy their games, at the moment you can really only buy games on CD or DVD. At the moment there's no option to download them (legally) i think.

And i'm guessing the cost of running the content servers and paying for the bandwidth for steam is less than dealing with a distributor, getting the game mass produced packaged etc. Hopefully, with steam, we will see the end of these evil..evil evil...games distributors like Vivendi.

Evil. :imu:

You guys pick apart his words... it's coming in less than half a year (we hope). lol, the release is always "approaching" until the game's shipped. They'll probably need a lot of time to make sure their servers are up and stable before HL2 downloads go live... :rolleyes:

NuForce said:
Do you guys have any idea when the release date is?

Nu

Best guesstimate at this point is sometime in April. But I've seen theories about Feb, March, or much later in the year. At this point, I'm going with April.

I really hope that its out in april! my bday is in may 11, so I might get it for bday

me go for april

(me will go crazy if it dose not! >(

I know it is only a retailers website but gamplay.co.uk has just posted a release date of 24th September 2004 for Half Life 2.

Thats a bit after my birthday, and nearly a Year late.

I hope this info is incorrect but we will see.

nooooo!!!!!! .........no! I dont belive you! you....you..... nooooo!!!!!!!

tfotdead has lost connection,

last seen saing this "I am so very scared"

tfotdead said:
nooooo!!!!!! .........no! I dont belive you! you....you..... nooooo!!!!!!!

tfotdead has lost connection,

last seen saing this "I am so very scared"

If you would like to check this link out

http://shop.gameplay.co.uk/webstore/productpage.asp?ProductCode=RM00327

247 LONG DAYS. :angry: £1 a day I might be able to get a 9800 XT by then. :)

SORRY!!!!!!:frown: Some times its not good to be right. I hope I am wrong

i realy think we should make up a giant advert that says in 3 inch tall writing everytime you visit the forums

"ATTENTION! ALL COMPUTER GAME STORES KNOW AS MUCH AS WE DO. THAT BEING NOTHING!"

It's false - ignore it. If there is a real release date expect us to post about it in the news.

Back