Valve's New Game "The Lab" Announced! - ValveTime News Round-Up (9th March 2016)

Omnomnick

Retired Lead Content Creator
Staff member
Reaction score
This past week, although initially quiet, ended with some rather big news and a few first-timers! It saw Valve announce their first truly new game in over 4 years, with "The Lab" set to feature the return of Aperture Science as the player travels through a series of smaller experiments exclusive to virtual reality. Steam's Mobile Authenticator security is also being stepped up once more, and this is our first ever Round-Up episode to feature TWO different presenters!

For all the latest on The Lab and all of Valve's other products and games, don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel and follow us on Facebookand Twitter. Thanks for watching!

Is it really a game? I was under the impression it was more of a polished set of tech demos than anything else.

Is it really a game? I was under the impression it was more of a polished set of tech demos than anything else.
The definition of a "game" has nothing to do with whether or not the product is a selection of mini-games or not. These are gameplay experiences.

I wouldn't call The Lab a game. Robot Repair isn't a game, but an experience. Valve didn't call The Lab a game in their press release, either. "VR experiences" is better fitting, IMO.

I wouldn't call The Lab a game. Robot Repair isn't a game, but an experience. Valve didn't call The Lab a game in their press release, either. "VR experiences" is better fitting, IMO.
This has just come down to another ridiculous fight over semantics. It reminds me of the old "Walking Simulators vs. Video Games" discussion. In those cases, you could easily define "walking simulators" as "experiences" because you don't actually do anything in, for example, Dear Ester outside of walk around setting off triggers. That isn't the case with Robot Repair, as you are actually tasked with interacting with the game world which then reacts to how you move your body or the controllers. Do we now have to include "experiments" into the discussion to define a piece of software stuck in the middle of an "experience" and a "game"?

Oculus clearly define "experiences" as having very little to no interaction or input at all, which is definitely not the case with Robot Repair. See the full Henry film for an example of this. This is likely why Valve went with the term "experiments" rather than "game" (which has an older definition as large, grand pieces of software with price tags) or "experiences" (which are now defined as watch-only situations that are typically provided free of charge).

Not that any of this actually matters in the slightest, of course. People need to care less about stuff like this.

Hmmm, I think discussions about semantics and definitions are important, especially for new products and technologies.

Hmmm, I think discussions about semantics and definitions are important, especially for new products and technologies.
How don't our existing definitions fit these particular circumstances? They are perfectly adequate.

Your argument is sound. But I'm of the other camp that says Robot Repair (by itself, without knowing the other content in The Lab) is not a game. It can only be classified as an "experience" or some other type of entertainment form because, as an observer, there's really no objective mission or goal. Sure, you have to trigger some events by pulling drawers and levers, but is that really a puzzle? A mission? An objective? At least I don't think so. It's... just an experience to me. It sort of reminds me of theme parks, and just "going along for the ride," but with a bit more interaction.

Back