ValveTime Weekly News Round-Up - 13th October 2012 + Portal Themed Giveaway

Omnomnick

Retired Lead Content Creator
Staff member
Reaction score
It was a pretty quiet week for Valve news, but that doesn't mean you can get out of watching the weekly news round-up! In the news this week, Team Fortress 2 gets a big Mann vs Machine update, Valve are threatened with a lawsuit over the Steam EULA changes and there was some fake SOB rumour as well.

We're also giving away a few Portal themed items, so check the video for more details! Don't forget to leave your comments below for a chance to win. The winner will be announced next week, so check back then to see if you've won!

Attachments

• slide.jpg
    slide.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 13,071
My favorite part was the ending of Portal 2, and not the "shot the moon, get saved and get out" ending. I'm talking about Wheatley's monologue in space after the credits, the emotion put in this monologue was just amazing.

The whole game Wheatley was portrayed as an annoying but funny little sphere that went mad with power, he spoke everything that came to his head, he wasn't polite nor reasonable when he got in charge, and basically was who he supposed to be, a 'stupidity' core.
But those last moments, when he was hopelessly flying in space, when he felt regret over what he had done, made an almost shallow character deeper than the sea. It was an AI core, who was programmed to not feel regret, to be stupid and annoying, feeling bad for what he has done. And he knew that no one could hear him, that no matter what he says or does he can't return back and fix what he has done, that all he now can do is orbit the moon until his internal battery dies.

And that was my favorite part.

(Also PotatOS part was funny)

My favorite part out of the Portal series occurs in Portal 2.

Before playing on the PC, I was a console gamer. My brother got Portal 2 on his birthday so we played Portal 2 (obviously) after playing (I think) halfway through the game there was the chapter called "The Part Where He Kills You". As you are launched onto Wheatley's "death trap", Glad0s says "This is Part Where He Kills Us". Wheatley then says "This is the Part Where I kill You." After arriving on the"trap", the title of the chapter comes up saying "This is the Part Where He Kills You." Lastly, you get the achievement saying (what you guessed), "The Part Where he Kills You."

After escaping the trap, Wheatley asks for you to come back to him and asks for you to jump down the endless pit to your death. If you wait long enough, Wheatley goes on and on and on and on about why you should jump down. Reasons like cute boys and your mom and dad are down there waiting for you.

I just thought that this part really showed me how Valve can make this game as interesting and funny as possible. I mean, if this game was JUST puzzles, I would be really bored. But those little things make such a difference and an everlasting effect to the gameplay of the game. This just makes me happy for the developer's accomplishments.

Well sorry for the long comment. That's probably my most memorable moment in Portal 2.

My favorite moment in the Portal series happens in Portal 2. It is the beginning of Chapter 6, after Wheatley betrays you and you fall down the long shaft with POTaDOS. When you reach the bottom and wake up, you are suddenly plunged into the broken world of Old Aperture. I love the first chapter of Old Aperture, as you begin to unravel the story behind Cave Johnson and the beginnings of Aperture. It also holds an extremely different visual style, which I kept me constantly looking around to see the large vistas inside science spheres. Finally, Cave Johnson topped this part off with hilarious commentary that both made me laugh and showed me the past of Aperture Science. Overall, the glimpse into the past and realization of how large Aperture really was given to me by this chapter has to be my favorite part.

My favorite Portal moment was when my feelings were being played with at the end of the game. Anger when that stupid stalemate button exploded on my face, shock when my breath was taken away (literally) when I portal up to the moon, sadness when I lost my little moron friend in space, joy when GLaDOS decided to save me, cried of too much turret cuteness and then finally, the wheat field. Pure happiness and greatfulness that such a game existed.

Of all the great moments in the game, I think one of my favorites is the opening -- the movement tutorial. "Look up -- look down -- okay, that's enough exercise." "Look at the art -- you have now appreciated the art. Go back to bed." I know I'm paraphrasing, but it cracked me up.

my best is when you wil know that witlih wil not let you to go up hi wil smash you down and you go to the old aptcher sienc and whean you sout a portal to the mon sor bot my english its not so god ay am from bosnia and hercegovina

My favorite moment overall is in Portal 2, down in old aperture. The part when you activate the 2 buttons, and that huge vault door starts too open. It's epic. Then, when it's finally open, you see a normal door and a chair knocked on it's side. Personally I think it's some of VALVe's subtle humor at it's finest.

Prob favorite part of Portal 2 was the old aperture test labs. I completely loved the nostalgic feel that valve was trying to convey. Great stuff!

My favorite moment in Portal 2? The fake door. When I came across the door, it was obviously a trick when the sign read GLaDOS shut down and cake. Gee, I fell off my chair laughing when it smacked down on the floor like a piece of cardboard and just having the pleasure of being insulted at by GLaDOS when she said she could have just dangle a turkey leg. Great times.

Back