Vista Lag...halp?

Mesz

Reaction score
EP1 lags quite a lot in places cos I'm running crappy old vista, i'm closing as many services, programs and processes as possible but it's still not great. I've got a fairly good grpahics card and DX10 with 1GB RAM, any suggestions?

More RAM, and what processor do you have?

Go back to XP? I have Vista too, and the next time I reformat my hard drive I'm installing XP. Sick of Vista.

Dude Dont Be Dumb, Post Your Specs. And You Prabably Should Get Rid Of Vista

I believe that there are microsoft hotfixes to solve this problem. I had a similar problem, which seems to have been resolved.

Just go to thislink

But since its release, the OS has improved from the pile of shite that it was on release

Go back to XP? I have Vista too, and the next time I reformat my hard drive I'm installing XP. Sick of Vista.
Yeah, I've been considering downgrading to XP but I just wanna find out how long Microsoft will keep patching and supporting XP because you know how they are, once their new OS comes out the old one is completely obsolete. ._.
If they're gonna keep supporting for at least another year then I'm happy to downgrade.

Dude Dont Be Dumb, Post Your Specs. And You Prabably Should Get Rid Of Vista
Sorry but I don't know a huge amount about processors and graphics cards and whatnot. All I know is that I have an Intel processor and an ATI graphics card...
It must be fairly new though as I only bought this PC about 2-3 months ago.

I believe that there are microsoft hotfixes to solve this problem. I had a similar problem, which seems to have been resolved.

Just go to thislink

But since its release, the OS has improved from the pile of shite that it was on release

Yeah, I've heard of these hotfixes. Gonna hunt round for a hotfix for my ATI graphics card. Or would the hotfixes in that link help me out? Thanks anyway.

I'm having the same problem. HL2 runs perfect, but Ep1 lags like hell. Here are my specs:

Vista
1GB Ram
Geforce 7300 LE
Core 2 Duo 1.86

Any suggestions? Would a RAM upgrade be enough? I'm not able to get anything else really. :(

In terms of those hotfixes, how do you know what Vista you are running? 32 or 64 bit?

More RAM for sure. Also, that video card may not do much for you on Episode 1. Might I suggest the 7600 GT ($90) for an awesome performance/price ratio?

The 7600 GT will get you great power and you won't have to upgrade anything.

I also recommend the 7600, although I've got myself a GS.

I have about 0.7 of a gig of RAM, and my Ep1 works fine, full blaring graphics. I have a single processor that runs at 2.6, so your Duo 1.86 shouldn't have a problem either.

Before spending more money to solve the problem, seriously consider going back to XP. I don't have Vista, but I've only heard of problems from using it. It might also be an issue with your computer running with HDR lighting, because that's the major upgrade from HL2 to Ep1. If it runs smoothly without HDR, then it might well be a problem with your graphics card - possibly not successfully o/cing or something?

Ive got a 8500gt,2gb of ram and dual core 2.33mhz so i play all half life on highest

I'm having the same problem. HL2 runs perfect, but Ep1 lags like hell. Here are my specs:

Vista
1GB Ram
Geforce 7300 LE
Core 2 Duo 1.86

Any suggestions? Would a RAM upgrade be enough? I'm not able to get anything else really. :(

In terms of those hotfixes, how do you know what Vista you are running? 32 or 64 bit?

You can find out whether your Vista is 32 bit or 64 bit this way:
Start>Control Panel>System
All the info should be there. My Vista is 32 bit. Not sure what difference it makes though :/

Back