Weapons Section

N

Noj

Hate to be picky but the Weapons Section needs to be updated.
Going off the 519MB game play movie you've missed:
Grav Gun at 02:50 with the blue beam.
Grav Gun at 05:15 without the beam (possibly secondary fire, or maybe the beam version is secondary fire, it seems to get used a lot less).
Grenade at 11:48.
Bug Bomb at 14:04.
Rocket Launcher at 18:44.

Also you can see the machine gun zoom in at 19:47.

Edit: Sorry this should probably have been in the Site Feedback forum.

In regards to the gravity gun, I thought that the beam might have been in an earlier build of the game, or just there for showing of the engine. It seems like it does exactly the same thing as what is shown in the gameplay vids except with the beam - I'd probably say in the final game it would be there without the beam?

Makes sense, the version without the beam does seem a lot more complete, with lighting effects (orange glow) on the gun that the beam version doesn't have.

i believe the one without the beam can move non-metal objects

The one with no beam uses magnetic field to move objects..

ya sounds about right

blue beam seems to have a further reach though, allowing you to pick things up from further away and also hold them at a further distance. The other one however seams to offer more control, as well as provide cover, in addition it shoots the objects off afterward where the other one just seems to let it go.

Originally posted by Shockwave
i believe the one without the beam can move non-metal objects

The one with no beam uses magnetic field to move objects..

ya sounds about right

They can both move non-metal objects m8, in the tech demo the one with the beam are used for moving around the madresses and other non metal things, while in the video with the 2 striders he uses the one with the orange glow to throw a piece of wooden furnature at a strider.

The guns looks very different so they cant be the same with a little modification...

I really cant see the point of the one with the blue beam exept for showing off the physics (wich is cool) or maybe it could be used for problem solving somehow but it seems a bit useless

The one with the orange glow on the other hand has many obvious uses like using objecs as shields and free ammo, I expect it to last forever since there are no ammocount like there is on the regular guns even though there should be a energy pack like there is for other energy based guns in other games (including HL1) but I will like the grav gun no matter what. I hope its available in multiplayer cuz it will be fun to play with and throw each other around but it can be abused in many ways to get to great camping areas so I hope it gets disabled on most servers. Could be fun if 2 guys lift each other up though, and fly around hehe. :cheese:

There's another weapon missing. One of the original gamespot videos (don't remember the number, 3 or 4 I think) shows footage that is not in the 500MB full movie. It's the movie with the small flying scanner things. Gordon uses a weapon that fires balls of fire to knock a guy off a catwalk. The guy bursts into flames, rather cool.

BTW, is this scene on the latest movie (the one that's nearly 600MB)? I haven't downloaded it yet.

Originally posted by Calm_Blue_Ocean
There's another weapon missing. One of the original gamespot videos (don't remember the number, 3 or 4 I think) shows footage that is not in the 500MB full movie. It's the movie with the small flying scanner things. Gordon uses a weapon that fires balls of fire to knock a guy off a catwalk. The guy bursts into flames, rather cool.

BTW, is this scene on the latest movie (the one that's nearly 600MB)? I haven't downloaded it yet.

perhaps a secondary fire.

I suspect the one with the blue beam is an earlier build - the tech demo was likely made long before the other demos. I imagine the other version is the version we will see in the game. It wouldn't make much sense to have two different gravity guns in the game that both do the same thing.

nah.. no secondayy fire.. its a sort of flare gun, or pyro grenade launcher.. you can shoot fire grenades with it

Hey, can someone post a pick of the "flare gun". I'm at work and I'm trying to remember what the hell it looked like.

Nice call Calm_Blue_Ocean, it's in the 4th movie at 01:02. Trying to post the image now.

Ok so here's what I've gathered, question mark notifies unsupported information...

- - - - - - - - - - -

Crowbar
USP Match Pistol (18 shot clip)
SPAS-12 Shotgun (8 shells?)
H&K PDW Sub-Machine Gun (30 shot clip - scope, 1.5x zoom or so)
MP5K Sub-Machine Gun (Allies only?)
OICW M29 Assault Rifle (30 shot clip - Grenade Launcher)
Gravity Gun
Flare Gun
Fragmentation Grenade
Spore Grenade (The alien thing)

New! Gauss Gun (mounted)

Watch the vehicle movie, it's on the hood when he's shooting :)

np Calm_Blue_Ocean.

I wasn't about to count that gun mounted on the vehicle because I didn't think you'd be able to pick it up and take it with you.

What's really interesting is in that scene after he gets out of the vehicle he throws away the shotgun before picking up the rocket launcher (at 18:42 in the 514MB movie). Maybe there will be no more running around with 15 guns.

We've already had a thread on this here. Incindary Cannon = flare thing.

• Melee: Crowbar
  • Pistols: USP match
  • Shotguns: SPAS12
  • Subguns: MP5K, HK PDW
  • Assault rifles: OICW
  • Grenades/Bombs: HE grenade
  • Heavy weapons: Rocket Launcher, Incendiary Cannon
  • Energy weapons: Gauss gun, Manipulator
  • Alien gear: Antlion scent bombs, 'sickly barnacle creature' (mentioned in the PC Gamer preview)

Remaining old HL weapons: The Egon, Hornet gun, .357 Revolver, Crossbow, Snarks, Tripmines, Satchel bombs... and OpFor's Desert Eagle, Sniper rifle, Minimi, Displacer energy weapon, Insectoid Zap-gun, Spore launcher, Knife, Pipe Wrench.

I'm sure there will be a Gauss we can use as well - it is one of the coolest weapons in HL1 in my opinion.

I mentioned this in another post, but there is no HUD in the dune-buggy video. I think perhaps the weapon system wasn't fully implemented at that time or that Gordon was not wearing a HEV suit and that is why the weapon was thrown down. (If you remember from HL1, if you were not wearing a HEV you could not cycle between weapons, but instead could only use the last one you picked up).

im curious is the usp a 9mm?... 45 woulda been cooler.....and whut caliber is the oicw thing?

Anyone have any opinions on some other pistols? This is just guesswork here but from what I've seen the USP isn't very powerful at all, and the 357 in HL1 was a cool addition (I used it more than the SPAS).

I reckon Desert Eagle's a likely choice, but unless it's a new model or something it'd make the game a little too CS for my liking... even tho it's a cool weapon (GO MATRIX AGENTS! :dork: )

there are so many hand pistols in the world god knows what they are gonna put in the game ;(

aye the tech demo was from a build in September last year... i dont think the gameplay demos are from anything earlier than this year to be honest.

so the blue beam im guessing is an earlier build. It certainly ins;t secondary fire since the secondary fire of the Manipulator actually propells the object whilst the primary just lifts it.

Kam

Originally posted by KiNG
im curious is the usp a 9mm?... 45 woulda been cooler.....and whut caliber is the oicw thing?

Yes, its the USP Match 9 that is in the game, the 9mm version is the only one that has a 18 round clip.

The OICW fires 5.56mm bullets with a 30 round magazine, the same type as what used in the M16 I believe. The OICW has an integrated 6 shot 20mm grenade launcher. Like someone said before, the real weapon has a laser ranger finder for the programmable grenades.

The MP7 PDW fires a 4.6mm round. In the game it uses a 30 round magazine, only 20 and 40 round magazines are listed on the official data sheet.

The 5.56mm part of the OICW is actually a cut up HK G36. The problem with it (same as discovered with the M4 in Afghanistan recently) is that the barrel isn't long enough to impart the necessary velocity to the bullet -- and thus reducing its power and effective range. Essentially the OICW has become a fancy grenade launcher system with an underslung overpowered (5.56mm) SMG.

It's interesting how the net works -- I was actually looking for the latest reports on the SA80 when I came across the above...

I believe when gordon is in the car he is still using a hev suit, cuz you can see his gloves and wrist braces.

_-_-SELAS-_-_ : please stop using my avatar

About the ammo on the PDW - in one bit you see gordon pick up ammo from a dead resistance member and it goes into his PDW. The resistance carry MP5k's. Go figure :)

I mentioned this in another post, but there is no HUD in the dune-buggy video. I think perhaps the weapon system wasn't fully implemented at that time or that Gordon was not wearing a HEV suit and that is why the weapon was thrown down. (If you remember from HL1, if you were not wearing a HEV you could not cycle between weapons, but instead could only use the last one you picked up).

Although I _SO_ wish you were right. Try looking at the video with the soldiers busting through the door again. (BTW in this demo, you can see the HUD) After Gordon grenades the dumpster down to crush the combines below, he jumps down to pick up their gun. Now, as he advances and ducks under the swinging I-Beam, watch carefully; after the Beam swings away from him, he drops the gun, and picks up the shotgun. you can also hear the *thump* sound of the gun falling to ground. I guess weapon restrictions are implemented here folks. I'm just hoping the reason to this is because there are so many weapons in the game, Gordon cant hold them all :p

And if you also notice, the SMG is in the same HUD slot as the shotgun, slot 3

HL2 has 6 weapon slots.

heavy
Primary
seconday
pistols
nades
alien

as seen in the hl2 movie's

I think you can only use one weapon per slot (maby more in the nades and pistol slot).

EVIL - sounds about right. With the correct ammo restrictions we should see proper survivalist tactics employed by all players... meaning they'll still be using the crowbar and recharge based weapons well into the game.

eg - Did anyone actually use the freakin hive hand?

The hive-hand is actually quite usefull in some single player levels because it can shoot around corners. One burst of 6 hornets can take out a soldier or slave without alerting others.

The hive-hand is actually quite usefull in some single player levels because it can shoot around corners. One burst of 6 hornets can take out a soldier or slave without alerting others.

Great technique, but you have to run fast if someone has a bazooka :D

Bah, it still sucks :p

Anyways I still gots a question about the assault rifle Gordon was lugging around. Is it the OICW or is it the G36K like someone else mentioned. I like the G36 coz it's the best damn weapon is Rainbow Six... but I wouldn't think that would be big enough to attach a nade launcher? The green scope looks cool tho...

Back