Webhosting / DNS

Y

Yorick

Hey guys. I'm looking to switch my webhost because mine has, well, been shit lately.

One of the largest problems I have is that while I'm at work, I tether my cellphone so that my laptop can get on the internet, and I've been having a lot of connectivity issues with my own site, when it works fine for most other people. I figure it's a DNS updating thing, but I don't know if it's the hoster taking forever with it or what. So I'm considering, with the new plan, getting a dedicated IP address. If anyone has any ideas, that would be super. I'm not sure if it's actually totally necessary, but dedicated IP seems pretty cheap in general so I'm tempted to just get it anyway.

Otherwise I'm looking for the usual things. I'd like to hear from anyone who has actually used the host, rather than you just Googling "best hosts for Yorick" or "worst hosts for Yorick because I hate that guy". I'm currently with BigBlueHost, and I've used Hostgator in the past and had pretty poor experience. Someone I know has recommended BlueHost, but I haven't looked into them all that much yet.

I had hostmonster for a long time, and while I barely used it, it was always up and always fast. Rates were pretty good at the time too, though not sure how they fare by today's standards.

Dreamhost has always worked excellently for me (though, admittedly, I'm not doing much with my hosting account at the moment--the sole exception is linked in my signature). They're running some kind of New Year's promotion right now too.

http://dreamhost.com/

I use iPage currently, because it's quite inexpensive. I even managed to extend my first year pricing into another year by talking to their live support and saying I didn't know that the special offer pricing was only for 1 year.

Back