Weekly Status Updates

Reaction score
A short message from Valve has popped up in user's Steam clients, giving a bit of information on upcoming updates during the year. As well as having news on the previously announced CS:Source bots and de_tides remake, Valve writes:
Going into February, there will be a release of a new Counter-Strike: Source map by Valve level designer Dave Riller. It's a smaller hostage rescue map with the focus on close quarters fighting. This map is still being play tested, and we're looking forward to seeing what the community thinks of it.[br]

[br]There are a number of other things we're working on at Valve right now that we aren't quite ready to talk about, but our resolution for the new year is to keep the community more informed about what's ahead. To that end, there will be a weekly Steam message (like this one) to give people and idea of what we're working on.
Let's hope they can keep their resolutions.

Tut tut, Valve. That should say "an idea of what we're working on"

I'm available as a copywriter, very reasonable rates.....

I don't think their weekly community updates are going to last long; they never do.

That's great news, but I didn't get that popup in Steam... would be usefull if I actually could get those popups.

You've got them turned off in your options...

this shud of gone with the news post:

The Official CS Bot for CS:Source Coming Monday

Pi Mu Rho said:
Tut tut, Valve. That should say "an idea of what we're working on"

I'm available as a copywriter, very reasonable rates.....
I got a laugh out of it ;)

Chris_D said:
You've got them turned off in your options...

You mean in Settings under the Messages tab... I've got both boxes checked...

Why do they only develop new CS:S maps? I want more maps for HL2DM!!!

As long as they keep to their so called "resolution" then im happy ;)

Theyll do it for a month then stop.

Anyone remember the wednesday steam update? :rolleyes:

I think this is great news! It would be like a little journal I guess, where they write what they're working on at the moment and stuff...

The future's bright. The future's VALVe coloured.

azz0r said:
Anyone remember the wednesday steam update? :rolleyes:
That was stopped for practical reasons, though. There's no reason to not have one of these a week, even if it's just 'no news'.

I´m not sure about this "keeping the community informed"-thing. It´s a great gesture from Valve, but I loved how Half-Life 2 just struck like lightning one day. Some developers get it wrong by announcing a game very early and then just pushing back the release date. Secrecy can be cool.

I just hope one of their new years' resolutions is to talk out of their mouths. This is where they've been going wrong in nearly every public relations statement they've ever made in the past.

Just wondering, will these weekly post be put here, because I do not want to have to check the steampowered forums, and I do not get the popups either.

rpgprog said:
Just wondering, will these weekly post be put here, because I do not want to have to check the steampowered forums, and I do not get the popups either.

Well you surf HL2.net, no doubt someone will post them and pick them apart etc.

Having a weekly announcement is wicked. Valve taking the strides now at what they failed before. Good job Valve. More communication between the community and Valve themselves is needed. Especially since we haven't heard much out of them since De_Prodigy map release.

As long as they think things through before they speak, ill be happy with this monthly news update.

It would be awesome if they used these weekly messages as part of an internet code game like they did prior to HL2 being released.

news popups are cool, its nice to see valve still so involved in the community, unlike some other developers...

A pretty good resolution. Let's not forget new years resolutions are ****ing hard to keep.

I'll be impressed if they stick with it. Bots are good but I want those models, not new maps - valve don't seem to be prioritising very well (VAC would be good too ¬_¬).

Back