Weekly Steam News (16/12/05)

Sui

Tank
Reaction score
Mmm, I love Christmas treats, especially when they’re from Valve. It’s unlikely we’re going to get any big presents from Steam on Christmas day, because Valve themselves are taking a well deserved break, but to make up for it we’ll be receiving a number of delicious extras in our Steam-styled stockings over the coming week or so. [br] [br] Firstly, if you don’t already know, Darwinia has been released via Steam. This week’s Steam news details how the unique RTS has been nominated for a few awards, as well as again portraying Valve’s love for the game. For those of you who are avid Counter Strike: Source players, it will be of great joy to hear that the second present on Steam’s Christmas list are those new models we’ve heard so much about. Yes, they’re actually going to be released. This week. Oh and as if this wasn’t enough, early next year we’ll be getting a completely remade version of Militia for CS:S. There could even be a DoD:S update in the works. I can’t wait! [br]

[br]Yay, Christmas. Click here to see the Update.

I still don't like the idea of joint organizations of terrorists and counter-terrorists working one mission. There should be a specific group per map.

I thought we were getting more than 1 new model on each side. I thought there was going to be a selection of models for each side. :dozey: :hmph:

Now there is a selection. Out of two models per side :D

the link on the frontpage to the newsupdate is messed

.bog.

GIGN...... awesome.... It's the only one I care about, because it's the only one I ever am. I'll still always be the same Terrorist... But then I'll be able to see the other guys and stuff...

DoctorWeeTodd said:
I still don't like the idea of joint organizations of terrorists and counter-terrorists working one mission.

The terrorists just put "Bring your best terrorist costume tomorrow" on their message board... Those unorginized terrorists.

Cant wait to see the new model and after this new update. I have a feeling we will be hearing about some major news.

excellent :D

I think valve next move is to add some new weapons to the CSS list!!

Can't you see that they are giving little by little each update? There are always people that find something to complain about. Steam could have just released source and never added anything to it again except for bug fixes.

The word of the day... say it with me now...

APPRECIATE. The next word of the day will be GRATEFUL.

Learn it.

DoctorWeeTodd said:
I still don't like the idea of joint organizations of terrorists and counter-terrorists working one mission. There should be a specific group per map.
I agree with this, I played the old CS recently and found it weird to see different "organisations" working together all mixed up. It should be map-specific, like when/if they do as_tundra they could make the arctic torrorist model then, and Guerrilas could be on jungle/forest maps etc. Seal team and Gign on urban maps, and SAS on nuclear plants and factories and stuff with hazardous elements.

DoctorWeeTodd said:

What did CS 1.6 have? Oh yeah ability to pic whatever model you wanted.

hool10300 said:
I thought we were getting more than 1 new model on each side. I thought there was going to be a selection of models for each side. :dozey: :hmph:
Eventually.

Anyway, I want some L33T Krew!

DiSTuRbEd said:
what's your point?? Maybe we didnt like that.

I think a better system would be to let you select the models and display all of the other player models as the same, so it's a client-based option. Either way though I don't care that much.

hehe, i had thought they had released the actual models already :(

Suprised no one has said anything, notice how auto-select is 6, in normal 1.6 its 5. So if anyone can piece together what I am saying you get a cookie.

DoctorWeeTodd said:

While I think you are nitpicking, I kinda agree with you to some extent.
The way to do it (as I see it) is to have different base models for various missions (ie: maps), but some ability for the end-user to customize that model. I don't know jack about special forces, but I imagine they have some say in what they wear. CT could have various versions of regular equipment and styles of uniform, while the terrors could have some whacky choices, like pilot-sunglasses (ftw!) and such.

So, to sum up, identical base models with some customization to give the opportunity to look like an individual and not just another identical octuplet.

.bog.

DiSTuRbEd said:
Suprised no one has said anything, notice how auto-select is 6, in normal 1.6 its 5. So if anyone can piece together what I am saying you get a cookie.

so it means there are eventually going to be more models than 1.6?

i believe its just a game and it doesn't really matter how many organizations are in play

I always saw the selection of models to be just a nice little added feature to help personalize the game for the player. Since I also don't play Counter-Strike for anything like a realistic combat simulation (it's just a fun game) I really don't care for adding limitations for what models could be used.

sk8boarder666 said:
Christmas updates....niiiice

I won't be able to use them until I buy me self a modem with router, so I can connect to my games PC without having my Dads PC as a server ;(

My dad has already said he will do the drilling if I just get the router and ethernet cable, we got several things in the house that may interfere with wireless connection.

But hopefully in January/Early Feb, I will be downloading my 500Gb steam update :thumbs:

That client-side idea would make for a pretty cool game experience; if you wanted, you could set default models per map. That's a damn sexy idea!

Can't you have where a map has it's own custom models? I played a zombie map, where when you play the map, all the T's look like zombies (this wasn't the zombie MOD, it was just a map, normal CS, played it on a LAN server, not dedicated).... maybe it was a mod that someone at the LAN had going.. but once the map changed, the zombie models were gone... So is it possible to make a map and have custom models for that map? if not, someone make a mod that does it.

DEATH eVADER said:
I won't be able to use them until I buy me self a modem with router, so I can connect to my games PC without having my Dads PC as a server ;(

My dad has already said he will do the drilling if I just get the router and ethernet cable, we got several things in the house that may interfere with wireless connection.

But hopefully in January/Early Feb, I will be downloading my 500Gb steam update :thumbs:

It's not very expensive... my router cost £30, and ethernet cables are generally about a fiver.

Cocoa Dart said:
so it means there are eventually going to be more models than 1.6?

I'd imagine so unless they accidently did so. CZ=5 models, CS=4 models each.

EriktheBulldozer said:
Can't you see that they are giving little by little each update? There are always people that find something to complain about. Steam could have just released source and never added anything to it again except for bug fixes.

Learn it.
I agree that some people round here need those two words a lot more, but at the same time, Valve are great because they listen to us, so by complaining we're making the game better! If they did just release Counter-Strike Source and never add anything except bugfixes, it wouldn't be as popular as it is today, so there is a "need" to add content on their part to keep users.

DiSTuRbEd said:
And what, CS 1.6 is our constitution and we're not allowed to make any changes? I think a system where everyone picks and whatever is the most popular model is used for the whole team would be much cooler. Either that or have customisation limited in scope, like hair colour or something. The teams in regular CS do look a little odd, with the 2 SAS and 1 GIG storming the building together.

ZoFreX said:
The teams in regular CS do look a little odd, with the 2 SAS and 1 GIG storming the building together.

I don't rather care, I intend on killing the opposing team, I could really care less what I see.

Those new models are going to create another tking spree we saw last time they updated the models :LOL:

EriktheBulldozer said:

Learn it.

Amen

As long as it doesn't mess up the game I bought originally but actually make it better and adds more content I'm definitely appreciating.

Also while on the subject I think the best way is for all the terrorists and all the counter terrorists to wear the same skin but for the admin of the server to choose the skins per map. If in a few months we get a nice selection of 6 skin or so per side this will add some nice variety from map to map. I have to agree with others that having all the different skins at the same time seems a bit wrong and it cuts into the realism factor. Still like someone already mentioned this will give more servers ideas in terms of using custom skins. Like a biker gang versus a SWAT team on a custom map. It would add a lot of depth to the game.

.....and next on their list for updates to CS source is making the CZ style hostages ( i hope).

THE NEW UPDATE HAS BEEN RELEASED RESTART UR STEAM

Why does the GIGN have a visor? He looked like a killing MACHINE with his balaclava only :(

Back