Weekly Steam News (25/03/2005)

Reaction score
Valve have released their weekly status report over Steam today, which mainly focuses on the upcoming implementation of the new VAC (Valve Anti-Cheat) System into Steam games. There is also a little info on progress with The Loast Coast, Valve's showcase level for High-Definition Lighting in the Source Engine.
Next week we'll begin beta testing the new Valve Anti-Cheat system. For people playing multiplayer games, there will not be any visible difference while we're conducting the beta, but we will be logging cheating violations into our database to make sure it's ready for general release. This will be the last public notice before the system is released and active for everyone.

[br]If you have any cheats for multiplayer games installed on your computer, now would be a good time to uninstall and stop using them. When a cheat infraction is detected, the offender will be permanently banned from playing on secure servers.

[br]In lighter news, work is progressing on Lost Coast, that is the level we've built to showcase a new piece of rendering technology coming to Source called High Dynamic Range lighting, first mentioned here. Valve's Doug Lombardi will be showing the level on G4 TV next Wednesday, March 30th. More information on the broadcast is available here.
To view the update yourself, simply restart your Steam client.

You beat me, you bastard!

lol Kage :D

Anyways very nice :)

There is also an update to CS:S and the Source Engine.... so Chris quick you can still get to post something! It's on the Steam site of course.

I'm gonna let out a little Steam against My g0t and every hacker I have played against: **** YOU! Excuse my French but this will teach them a lesson...for a while.

*cough*High-Definition Lighting*cough*

Disappointing that there's no news on the release of the new HL2 DM maps...

When a cheat infraction is detected, the offender will be permanently banned from playing on secure servers

Good!

Cheating bastads! Kick the bleeding lot of em :flame:

Sweet. VAC2 really needs to be released. Just about every server I play in has at least one hacker. I just hope VAC2 thinks I'm cheating somehow, and bans my account.

I'm so glad it's a perma-ban and not just a one year ban like VAC1 :)

That day will be so very nice. I want details on VAC2 but I know they won't give them out.

Oh well, can't wait ;)

Let's hope they allow support for VAC2 in mods... Or at least the top mods that didn't sell out.

I'm really pleased that Valve stuck to their promise about keeping their public up to date. They're really fixing a lot of stuff. I hate people that still say Steam sucks. Anyways...

FrenchToast said:
I'm really pleased that Valve stuck to their promise about keeping their public up to date. They're really fixing a lot of stuff. I hate people that still say Steam sucks. Anyways...

Steam is nice but still sux a little i mean how hard is it to get friends network to work. And when will they make so i can play on my own dedicated server on my own lan that really blows. Ive tried all the work arounds by the way.

march 25 - Bug fixes CCS
Fixed crash when turning on the budget panel in Counter-Strike: Source.

about time with VAC2, starting to see more cheaters on the servers I play and its quite irritating.

\o/! for Vac2 but if I were valve I would of just implemented it and not tell anyone anything untill they banned a whole crap load of accounts from certain servers or something. :flame: Well maybe I can actually go on a CS server and not see someone running at the speed of something really fast...

This update really cleared up a lot of what people have been wondering about.

The last of the most important, IMO...

Just little fixes now...

well.. looks like VAC2 will have serious consequences.
a nice refreshing change from those silly 6 month bans or whatever.

anyway im excited :thumbs:

Cool, I'm glad Valve says they're they're making good progress with VAC2. If they didn't say that I also thought that but now I know it for sure :p

I think it should be a 1 year bad personaly, I believe that if a player gets banned for one year then they wont try cheating again. Everyone deserves a second change to start fresh I believe.

And if they try cheating again, then they get banned for another year, I mean, it dosnt effect the normal players at all, they still wont see cheaters, reguardless. Though, they may see ex-cheaters etc.

Am I the only one who agrees that indefinatly is too long.... I guess they can still cheat on non-secure servers though.

Flamin-h said:
...I guess they can still cheat on non-secure servers though.
Exactly.
They're (the cheaters) are being given a more than fair warning with this announcement to get the shit off of their computers. What's wrong with a permanent ban anyways? They know the rules. Why break them?

Very curious to the HDR lighting... if it is very expensive, performance wise, how much added value it will have and if that weighs up to the performance cost.

VAC2, all I can say is yay!

Flamin-h said:
I think it should be a 1 year bad personaly, I believe that if a player gets banned for one year then they wont try cheating again. Everyone deserves a second change to start fresh I believe.

And if they try cheating again, then they get banned for another year, I mean, it dosnt effect the normal players at all, they still wont see cheaters, reguardless. Though, they may see ex-cheaters etc.

Am I the only one who agrees that indefinatly is too long.... I guess they can still cheat on non-secure servers though.
More $$$ for valve if you make em buy another copy of the game to get a new account.

urban said:
Finally People Will Stop Moaning
They'll moan about Vac2 not being on every server, and how the beta is not the final release, and how if you go to one server in a million, there'll always be a H4xXoR etc.

so who issues the ban? the server admit? based on what?

If i play a stunning game, and the admin thinks im cheating, do i get a lifetime ban?

Or does it inspect the netcode or something?

Ive been kicked/banned from servers before just for playing consistently good rounds.

lemonfridge said:
so who issues the ban? the server admit? based on what?

If i play a stunning game, and the admin thinks im cheating, do i get a lifetime ban?

Or does it inspect the netcode or something?

Ive been kicked/banned from servers before just for playing consistently good rounds.
Completely different things - it will only look for actual cheat programs, etc...

EDIT: Btw, er, has the upside down avatar day finished now? :p

like my old Natural Selection Buzz Hook i used when i was 10? (Its now unistalled)

Tight-ass Llama said:
like my old Natural Selection Buzz Hook i used when i was 10? (Its now unistalled)
If it's a program/hack/whatever that allows to 'play outside the rules of the game' then yes. You would get banned.

RaBiD WeAzEL said:
This update really cleared up a lot of what people have been wondering about.

The last of the most important, IMO...

Just little fixes now...

Well theres still the other player models, converting the other maps, netcode fixes (dont personally see a problem but alot of people do.) and Im sure some moaner can come up with plenty more.

I wanna see that video with doug but i dont have that channel :( what do i do? No I cant get the channel eighter because I live in EU and dont have a sattelite reciever...

_-_-SELAS-_-_ said:
I wanna see that video with doug but i dont have that channel :( what do i do? No I cant get the channel eighter because I live in EU and dont have a sattelite reciever...
Same, But I have cable and don't get G4.

Flamin-h said:

the 6 month ban/1 year ban didn't work previously and theres no reason to believe it will this time.

Flamin-h said:

doubt ur the only one who thinks indefinite bans are too long/bad idea but i certainly hope there aren't many agreeing with u.
if a player cheats, ban from secure servers is a fair punishment...it doesn't mean said player can't play, infact a cheater playing with other cheaters i think is a wonderful idea :thumbs:

I wana know why valve just came out and said hey cheaters where releaseing vac2!!! uhh... ~rolls eyes~

why not release it? then tell evreyone? ~snickers~

:cheers:

Trinityxero said:
I wana know why valve just came out and said hey cheaters where releaseing vac2!!! uhh... ~rolls eyes~

why not release it? then tell evreyone? ~snickers~

:cheers:

fair warning is the reason considering the punishment is permanent ban from secure servers.. at least thats how i interpret Valve's message.

anyway im sure enough gits will get caught thinking they can't be caught.. which makes legit players such as myself happy :)

cd-keys won't be so easy to get as half-life 1. so that'll be good when they get banned, cause they can't just log on to their endless accounts.

Back