Weekly Steam News (26/01/04)

Chris D

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's that time of the week again! As usual the weekly Steam news update has been intercepted before it has been officially released. This week the update gives us a preview of the upcoming CS: Source map by Valve mapper Dave Riller:
Wednesday, January 26th 2005[br]This week a few of us at Valve have been playtesting the upcoming Counter-Strike: Source map, cs_compound. The map is still on track for a February release.[br]Here's a sneak peek:[br]

[br]If you are involved in building a Mod or Half-Life 2: Deathmatch maps, be sure to check out the updated SDK (available in your Steam games list). About a week ago it was updated to include source files for six Half-Life 2 maps, a new interface for adding bots to mods, and more.[br]We'll have some news soon on the Half-Life 2: Deathmatch map contest winners, and also on the winners of the Half-Life 2 Gold "VALVE HQ TRIP GIVEAWAY". Stay tuned.
The map is looking great and it'll be nice to play something new and original which we haven't seen in Counter-Strike: Source for a while now.[br]You can find the update on Steam's homepage here.[br]Thanks goes to CSNation for posting this news first.

I had a feeling they wouldn't be able to have a full news post every week.

If you are involved in building a Mod or Half-Life 2: Deathmatch maps, be sure to check out the updated SDK (available in your Steam games list). About a week ago it was updated to include source files for six Half-Life 2 maps, a new interface for adding bots to mods, and more.

Hey kids! Remember last weeks news update? Well, it's still news!

toekneebullard said:
I had a feeling they wouldn't be able to have a full news post every week.

Hey kids! Remember last weeks news update? Well, it's still news!

That's something called a reminder... We get two new screenshots, good enough for me :D and MUCH better than nothing, no?

Woo, that map looks awesome. Getting bored with cs_office, I need another hostage rescue map. ;P

yes keeping a weekly update will be difficult as need goes down. But this is something that few gamer designers even do. So something is better than nothing right?

shouldnt be too hard as time goes on, as they slow down on their HL2, CC:S and DOD stuff they will still have countless mods ect they can report news on and steam will still be getting updated. COuld get easier if they are inclined to report on 3rd parties mods as more will be around in comming months.

The new map looks like it might play like assault to me, probaly a little more balanced though.

Nice looking map, however still no information about VAC, and its now going on 4 months.

not another CS map :( hope they give us some more DM material soon

There's going to be (at least) 3 new DM maps soon, along with two weapons.

are the new weapons they are adding, one is the shock stick iirc, in the leaked build? have they just dug up old weapon models etc and put them in?

Looks very nice, well played :)

reminds me of assault/docks (second screenshot especially :))

welll done valve, thx for the updates!

My comment was more sarcasm than anything. I very much appreciate the weekly updates. It's nice to know that they're thinking about us.

But yeah....enough CS maps already....

You DM guys have the best custom maps, us CSS players have very few good ones that are playable (tons of fy maps suck IMO). We NEED more maps its getting stagnant on servers

Yeh, because new player models is going to add soooo much to the experience!!!!

i actually agree. allowing for new player models (AND WHERE IS ADMINMOD) WOULD make the experience more fun. imagine getting killed by a banana with a huge spoon. :)

I would so like to see the tractorbeam/welder from the leak. Forgive me valve but I did try the leak, but I have bought your game :E so I have redeemed myself.

Anyway that things was cool, I must say I had a lot of fun welding barrels to the wall creating trampolines out of three extended barrels from a wall :rolling: .

A lot of the weapons in the leak would have immence purpose and value in the HL2DM, that's just how I see it.

Yes we can weld people to death in HL2DM!

Check out garrysmod if you want the welder.

Didn't anyone here react to the aspect ratio of the two screen shots? Seems Valve is playing using a 16:9 monitor, likely a cool TFT. :rolling:

Pjotr said:
Didn't anyone here react to the aspect ratio of the two screen shots? Seems Valve is playing using a 16:9 monitor, likely a cool TFT. :rolling:

Jesus, you're right!!!

This is INCREDIBLE news :bounce: :eek:

Back