What is an easter egg?

It is an Egg usually colorfully decorated hidden by the Easter Bunny.

OK. It is a (most times) "hidden" joke. It can be anything from a picture of the creators child to a homage to another game. Actually it is something that you would not normally find in the game. It usually does not "inhance" the game just makes you go "COOL"!

NO that is part of the game. Think of a level with a hidden room that would have a poster of LOTR on the wall. It would only be once or twice in the whole game. That would be a type of easter egg.

An easter egg would be like the hidden rooms in Max Payne that have posters of SoF2, or the numerous map credits on maps for CS found in the walls.

Hehe, I was very confused when i noticed that room with Sof2 posters in Max Payne..

Did you guys know that the very first Easter Egg was made by a young programmer who just put some strange text in a part of a C64 game.. Maybe it didn't seem like much , but people went nuts and starting telling eachother like "look what i found , it's really cool you gotta see it". Since then it's been a kind of habit for developers to surprise the most exploring fans of their games..

so in HL1 Theres a part where you have 2 levers one is for a 'valve' and the other for a 'gearbox' is this a easter egg?

Originally posted by WiredShock
so in HL1 Theres a part where you have 2 levers one is for a 'valve' and the other for a 'gearbox' is this a easter egg?

Yep, HL1 is full of them.

Also in Gordon's locker there are two books written by Marc Laidlaw (HL's story writer).

And the lockers have names of Valve employees.

And there is stuff inside the G-Mans briefcase. Take a look:

http://cashaddicted.com/hosted/lonederanger/gman_briefcase.jpg

Originally posted by WiredShock
Whats the definition of an easter egg ?

You know the strangest thing I ever saw was some MORON asking what the definition of a bloddy easter egg was on a half life forum..

Incredible really....

:eek:

You know the strangest thing I ever saw was some MORON asking what the definition of a bloddy easter egg was on a half life forum..

Are you serious? People like you make these forums such a pain in the ass.

I remember looking for easter eggs in CS all the time, (since I was always dead, lol). Makes things fun. I hope HL2 has plenty of them. I remember one game having a poster of some naked chick somewhere, I can't even rememver the game now. . .

ive been looking for actuall easter eggs in those hl2 e3 movies. im i insane?

Originally posted by XtAkm4p
no. there are plenty of eggs in the e3 vids

What are they? Has anyone found that big easter egg Gabe was talking about in the e3 vid?

In OpFor I remember that the dev team's names were on the foot lockers of the troops. Also a frame of Gordon as Employee of the Month. Can't remember any others. In Hl1 there was dev team names on the lockers, VALVe's name of the insulation & inside of the ceiling tiles, the microwave, the light in the room opposite the G-man, the alarm system, the lap top,...Uhh can't remember the others.

-Ghost.

did anyone notice a smarties packet on de dust in cs? apart from that easter eggs are everywhere, there are proberly a few on some dvds you own(if you have any). I bet that over 70% of the games you own contain one or more easter eggs.

The first easter egg was in the game 'Adventure' for the Atari system. You needed to find a small red dot in order to be able to walk through a certain wall which led to the easter egg. It was the name of the programmer who made that game because back in the days, programmers did not get credit for their work on games, because companys like Atari were following an old IBM tradition they did to programmers of their mainframes. Because you had to find a small dot, it reminded people of looking for easter eggs on easter, so thats what everyone called it, and all the rest in other games afterwards. You can read about the history of the first easter egg in an article on gamespy.com which talks about the 25 worst video game moments.

Re: Re: What is an easter egg?

Originally posted by maleficarus™

Incredible really....

:eek:

you ****wit

I wonder what video game has the record for most easter eggs....Hitman 2 has a whole shitload, more than most other games I've seen. The first Hitman has quite a few as well.

Back