What is Source 2's "Rubikon"? - ValveTime Spotlight Exclusive

Omnomnick

Retired Lead Content Creator
Staff member
Reaction score
At last year's GDC event, we learned of a mysterious project within Valve known as "Rubikon" and heard talk of Source 2 during a pair of physics programming talks. In celebration of GDC 2015 this week, we think it's time to look back to last year's event and ask the question: "What is Rubikon" while also trying to work out exactly how it relates to Source 2 and the development of Valve's future games, including Left 4 Dead and Half-Life!

If you enjoyed this episode, be sure to check out our previous episodes of ValveTime Spotlight as we're sure you'll find something interesting. Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel and to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and TwitchTV. Thanks for watching!

Making fun of others makes Valvetime videos lose quality.

Better to just stick to the subject and bring everyone the facts like before, because they were great and informative without this.
I'm extremely surprised that the three of you aren't absolutely sick to death of Tyler's lies by this point. Most of the recent information to come out of Valve, HTC, and Chet has proven he has absolutely no idea what he's talking about. I think mocking the fact he blantantly lies to tens of thousands of people in every video is totally acceptable.

If the people watching his overly sensationalized video's want to get hyped up over nothing, that is their own choice. There's nothing you can change about that. Mocking VVN is not the aswer as it lowers the overall quality of Valvetime as a reputable source of Valve news.

Just ignore VVN.

I'm extremely surprised that the three of you aren't absolutely sick to death of Tyler's lies by this point. Most of the recent information to come out of Valve, HTC, and Chet has proven he has absolutely no idea what he's talking about. I think mocking the fact he blantantly lies to tens of thousands of people in every video is totally acceptable.
I dont know, I dont see him as a "bad" person. He looks like most people to me who hype stuff quickly, but thats also why I dont take his word as fact. I just watch his videos to have a quick summary of everything. There are tons of people who make Half-Life hype, and VNN is small compared to big video game magazines which do the exact same thing, but you mock VNN. If I was evil I could say you only do this because he is competition to you :p
At the end of the day this mocking thing doesnt change anything so why bother? (And this is not the first time so it gets an unpleasant flavour)

That his videos over hype things, that's true. That he's a liar....well...for him to be able to lie would mean that he knows exactly what goes on inside Valve and deliberately decieves others with wrong information. Now he doesn't work at Valve, does he? No...so that means that he speculates too much and makes a big fuss over many things to increase the hype, but that doesn't make him a liar.

His videos are fun to watch, but not to be taken too seriously. We expect serious news from you.

I agree with marnamai. Don't let personal opinions adversely affect Valvetime's Reputation. The right people will see VVN for what it truly is.

Each staff member represents the entire organization, even if his or her opinions don't.

If the people watching his overly sensationalized video's want to get hyped up over nothing, that is their own choice. There's nothing you can change about that. Mocking VVN is not the aswer as it lowers the overall quality of Valvetime as a reputable source of Valve news.

Just ignore VVN.
It's my problem when seemingly the entire community then shifts over to these forums and repeatedly asks where Half-Life 3 is because YET ANOTHER game-related convention has arrived. I've done little else today other than tell people to calm down and to correct misconceptions.

It's my problem when seemingly the entire community then shifts over to these forums and repeatedly asks where Half-Life 3 is because YET ANOTHER game-related convention has arrived. I've done little else today other than tell people to calm down and to correct misconceptions.

That's not solely VNN's fault though, even if he might add to that number. This kind of thing is expected whenever Valve attends something. Especially when things like the 3.3. 3PM Conference come up.

That's not solely VNN's fault though, even if he might add to that number. This kind of thing is expected whenever Valve attends something. Especially when things like the 3.3. 3PM Conference come up.
I definitely wouldn't blame Tyler for the 3/3 at 3PM thing, it seems like he had nothing to do with it. But when he's telling tens of thousands of subscribers and viewers that HL3 will most definitely be announced at EGX Rezzed (the smaller cousin of a not-very-big convention) JUST because Chet has worked as a writer at Valve, he is literally taking the piss.

You know, you could just block those sheeple on steam ...

I definitely wouldn't blame Tyler for the 3/3 at 3PM thing, it seems like he had nothing to do with it. But when he's telling tens of thousands of subscribers and viewers that HL3 will most definitely be announced at EGX Rezzed (the smaller cousin of a not-very-big convention) JUST because Chet has worked as a writer at Valve, he is literally taking the piss.

I agree with you that he creates hype where theres no place to make one but as many people here said, ValveTime is better than this, better than hinting at this issue in your Round-Up videos. He creates hype and you have to deal with it, I'd be annoyed aswell. But seriously, this is a situation that just needs to be ignored, because the continued talk about it will just make it worse.
Then again, this is all just my opinion on this.

I agree with you that he creates hype where theres no place to make one but as many people here said, ValveTime is better than this, better than hinting at this issue in your Round-Up videos. He creates hype and you have to deal with it, I'd be annoyed aswell. But seriously, this is a situation that just needs to be ignored, because the continued talk about it will just make it worse.
Then again, this is all just my opinion on this.
We're not going to repeatedly make an issue out of our dislike of VNN if that's what you're saying. We just wanted to clarify that our video most certainly wasn't the same as any of his "Everything you need to know" videos.

That is source2.

2l2juu6.png

We're not going to repeatedly make an issue out of our dislike of VNN if that's what you're saying. We just wanted to clarify that our video most certainly wasn't the same as any of his "Everything you need to know" videos.

The dig was unnecessary. It was fuelled by an immature bitterness that goes a further than "just clarifying" that your videos are evidence-based compared to VNN's fanboy speculation. I don't think there's many people who watched it and found it funny - I'd say most, like me, were surprised and disappointed that you went there. It's not worth it, especially as the rest of the video was much more informative and well put together than anything VNN has done.

Just ignore VVN.

Sounds like you need to relax and stop taking shit so seriously. It's just a 3 second joke towards another youtuber. You're acting like this is some ultra-serious and professional thing we're talking about here. It's just YouTube videos about video games. That's it. Relax.

And the rest of you who are attacking ValveTime for this need to realize that too. They just told a joke, ffs this isn't CNN.

Back