APRIL FOOLS: Valve Sold To HTC For $4.2B! - ValveTime Spotlight

Omnomnick

Retired Lead Content Creator
Staff member
Reaction score
With the release of the Vive virtual reality headset in a matter of days, a pair of surprise press releases this morning have revealed the shocking news that Valve has been sold to HTC for $4.2B following three years of negotiations. With Doug Lombardi and Joe Ludwig replacing a now-retired Gabe Newell, join us as we investigate the uncertain future of Valve, their employees, and their games in an all-new episode of ValveTime Spotlight!

With the future still to be written, stay tuned by subscribing to our YouTube channel and following us on Facebook and Twitter for all the latest news if and when it happens! Thanks for watching!

Jesus don't joke about this shit. I almost had a heart attack. And with my health that's more likely

This a April fools joke? Because its very elaborate.
http://www.shareonfb.com/tsvmtz/Gabe_Newell_Retires

damm you valvetime. i was very close to selling up on steam. What a lead up, writers and animators left. Sued now by Australia's asshole government. What better time then too sell? Jesus christ, perfect april fools joke. but damm you valvetime, haha.

This is essentially watching the break up of eurozone and every tom, dick and harry is going to sell up in anticipation of the devaluing of their currency

Last edited:
Note that "Valve announces HL3" is such an old joke that isn't even good for April fool's day anymore. Til 3-4 years ago the internet was full with such jokes. Now...

Holy Shit I was this close at throwing something at my Computer..

Usually I am very skeptical at everything posted on April 1st but this really caught me off guard.
It took me almost the whole video to realise the date and meaning of it.

It is fascinating how something like this could change everything. At least for me.
I was ready to abandon steam completely and wouldn’t buy another title if this was true. Which.. well gave me the hint at the credibility of the story ;)

yeah despite gabe newell assurances this would never happen to Valve and i do trust the man and rest of valve to make the right choice and quite understandable that their not greedy stupid (short term) or even greedy long term that at least ends up creating lots of value. They are way better than that and they intend to prove it over n over.

Uncertainty exists because DRM exists, even one as user friendly as steam it is at least a pleasing thought for the basis. Steam is not open source, If it was it would solve alot of bottlenecks in security and service, like banning those that are cheaters.

If we decide together how particular things like that should be solved, steam would be a better place. However how Valve seem to want to challenge this is by collaborating in their most effective system with feedback, still a bottleneck...but still a robust and honest system.

This is describing them mildly. They are way more complicated than anything (for a company) :)

search yanis varoufakis highly analysed review. either thru his website or from this podcast

http://www.econtalk.org/archives/2013/02/varoufakis_on_v.html

Last edited:
Back