where are the prefabs???

Trinityxero

Reaction score
i cant seem to find the prefabs that go in hammer2.... someone idrect me? :eek:

bull what about all the chairs and tables in hl2 when will thows be released BULL BULL!!! :angry:

Prefabs are no longer used with Source. models are much more efficient. Just add a new entity called prop_static and choose your model. Voila.

Note - you can still use prefabs. There just aren't any provided for you...gotta make your own or import some from HL1.

Loading models was working fine for me at first, but now all of a sudden when I click on "browse" in the properties of a prop_static nothing happens. The window doesnt pop up anymore showing the models. Any help please?

Prefabs?

I am sure I saw some prefabs in the beginning, but not now. Even the Hammer docs speak as if they should be there.

Does anyone know how to get them to show?

The problem with them having to be all models is that none of the stats or whatever (just started mapping sorry) for items like explosive barrels stay. So you have to type in the explosive radius and damage every time (which wouldnt be so bad if we knew what the original stats were).

zul said:
The problem with them having to be all models is that none of the stats or whatever (just started mapping sorry) for items like explosive barrels stay. So you have to type in the explosive radius and damage every time (which wouldnt be so bad if we knew what the original stats were).

Wrong. (i think, haven't tested yet, but it's what I read)

If you want to make a prefab out of an entity, you can! Just select that entity(s), then make a prefab out of it. You'll get that thing just as it were. I don't know how it worked in earlier hammers, but in hammer 4.0, maps and prefabs are actually the same kinds of file! in fact, perhaps you could insert one map you made into another using this. The distinction between maps and prefabs lies only in the directory they reside in.

Now that's just cool. Am I right? :bounce:

One thing that Valve did say: there would be a map, sort of like the entity gallery, where you could pick out building prefabs (probably combination brush + model) so you wouldn't have to worry about making buildings.

the entity gallery is under the map menu. They recommend you spawn it inside an empty map. Not as useful as it sounded. What you're talking about is a model gallery. That would be cool too. In fact, it's exactly the sort of thing we should be making, a warehouse with all the models on display. Little things should be on tables and shelves.

I just made a map with the the entity gallery and compiled it. Don't try running it, it will crash hl2.

Back