Where did the money go? phantom contracts in iraq

CptStern

suckmonkey
Reaction score
interesting article on salon.com today:

Where did the money go?

As members of Congress consider the Bush administration's request for another $82 billion in military funding -- most of which will go to a war that was supposed to have cost about $50 billion total -- they might think about how the administration has handled finances in Iraq so far.

As we noted last month, the inspector general assigned to audit reconstruction efforts says there's no way to know what became of $8.8 billion that was once in the hands of the Coalition Provisional Authority. A hearing before the Senate Democratic Policy Committee brought forth more news on that front Monday. At the hearing -- called by Democrats who lack the numbers to hold actual congressional investigations -- a lawyer for two whistleblowers said that the Coalition Provisional Authority paid the Republican-friendly security firm Custer Battles $15 million to provide security for civilian flights at Baghdad International Airport.

The catch, according to today's Washington Post: No planes actually flew during the contract term.

"The U.S. inspector general assigned to audit the reconstruction effort says that "severe inefficiencies and poor management" by the CPA make it impossible to know what has become of $8.8 billion worth of Iraqi money that the CPA once controlled. Among the problems the inspector general found: The CPA may well have been paying "ghost employees" to provide security in Iraq. As CNN reports, auditors found 8,206 guards on the payroll at one Iraqi ministry but could validate the existence of only 602 of them. Perhaps this helps explains why Condoleezza Rice insists that there are 120,000 trained Iraqi security personnel when others, like Delaware Sen. Joe Biden, put the number at around 4,000. "

according to:

"Economist Doug Henwood has estimated that the war bill will add up to an average of at least $3,415 for every U.S. household."

source

do you feel your $3,415 is being spent correctly?

I hope so.

As it stands things are totally f**ked up. No WMDs, no evidence there ever was any, many soliders dead, many more innocent Iraqis dead, a large anti-western prescence operating in the area etc etc.

However, as always, there's a light at the end of the tunnel. There's no turning back now so we have to keep on paying to see if the light's real or not; Will Iraq work as a democracy?

I'm skeptical for several reasons;
1) I'm a skeptic
2) The Iraqi people are very religious, and that's not contained within one religion. Having one ruling power can cause problems.
3) People may believe that they are not infact a democracy, and are being controlled by the US, which many do not like - uprisings could begin.
4) We still have terrorists there, and are only addressing the problem with bullets.
5) Look at Afghanistan
6) I'm an anti-Bush lefty who wants to see all Bush's plans fail... (that's a joke btw)

The answer? We shall see Mr Stern, we shall see.

People don't just lose $8.8 billion through cracks in the wall or slightly errors in management, it does seem that there are things going on in Iraq that shouldn't be going on, and that the US Government knows what.

Crazy huh? Not all that surprising though either.

This was the intention from the start. There are a lot of companies that are profitting from this war. :frown: Its amazing how greed overcomes reason and logic.

satch919 said:
Crazy huh? Not all that surprising though either.

This was the intention from the start. There are a lot of companies that are profitting from this war. :frown: Its amazing how greed overcomes reason and logic.
Yeah companies like Cheney's Halliburton:

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/columnists/carl_hiaasen/8002847.htm

I'm sure Cheney getting $20 million from these people had nothing to do with the contracts Halliburton got :dozey:

No Limit said:
I'm sure Cheney getting $20 million from these people had nothing to do with the contracts Halliburton got :dozey:

**** off!!!!

(heheh just my cheney imitation)

satch919 said:
Its amazing how greed overcomes reason and logic.
Quoted for emphasis.
It's unfathomable how the most powerful men in the world can be so gree- Oh wait...

I wish I had no financial investment in war!

</sarcasm>

yes but it does go a long way in explaining why they're there in first place

RZAL said:
Right or wrong, that’s how big business works. You scratch my back, I’ll scratch your back.
So our government is now big business? Wow, that actually makes sense. America Inc.

Back