Who's played the Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 demo?

P

Prohass

Im hugely relieved by this demo. I've spent (nay, wasted) many an hour on RCT1 and the game was the only good example of a themepark sim, with the depth and customization a game of the genre deserves. My fear was that with the transition to 3d, they'd radically change a formula which simply isn't broken, in an attempt to make it more mainstream.

But to my delight, the game is practically the same (with improvements and additions) as its 2d counterpart. Thusly the raw gameplay elements that worked so well in the first game remain the same, but are now in an extremely attractive 3d.

Its most obvious change, the graphics, are also brilliant. The lush colours and shine give the gameplay's depth a respectable and satisfying superficiality. I love it, I mean c'mon, you can customize the contents of your burgers for god's sake!

I've played it. I liked it, though the interface could have been better.

I agree, also the zoom is to friggen sensitive, and theres no way to change it. I tap the mouse scroll and the camera hits the floor. The interface isn't perfect, but after you've battled it for a while it becomes second nature.

It is great, and I'm glad they didn't change much, but it really doesn't have much in the way of gameplay that'd make me want to upgrade.

The interface is one of the worst I've ever seen, so I hope they clean that up. It took me forever to figure out how to ride a coaster. Graphical, picture-only interfaces should only be used if the pictures make sense and are big enough to actually see.

My only gripe is they should make better use of hotkeys, there simply arent enough.

Great, apart from night and day come and go too fast, when its nighttime you get a huge and stupid looking light coming out of your mouse, game does'nt run perfect on my comp, and the interface sucks.

I can't wait to ride my ridiculously enormous coaster in the sandbox mode :D

But they made it too damn easy to make a fast coaster, just pump up the chain lifting speed or do a boosted start with 200 mph. I remember how much I messed in RCT to make a fast coaster.

PvtRyan said:
I can't wait to ride my ridiculously enormous coaster in the sandbox mode :D

But they made it too damn easy to make a fast coaster, just pump up the chain lifting speed or do a boosted start with 200 mph. I remember how much I messed in RCT to make a fast coaster.
My record in RCT1 was someting like 120 mph (my guess is something like 200 - 210 kmh)

Ritz said:
Great, apart from night and day come and go too fast, when its nighttime you get a huge and stupid looking light coming out of your mouse, game does'nt run perfect on my comp, and the interface sucks.
You can turn the light off by pressing Shift-L.

It runs well on my comp, but its an expensive comp so if it didn't i'd be pissed off. The graphics on high levels of detail are just stunning. I cant wait to make a maze of rollercoasters in sandbox mode, I have fond memories of making a park with over 300 rollercoasters intertwined in RCT1, you could barely see the floor there were so many!

And yeah I also think the day/night system is to fast. The interface is a battle, but I wouldn't say its the worse I've ever experienced, and once your used to it, it becomes a non-issue.

I built an awe-inspiring woodie, and the game crashed. And I un-installed it and went back to Doom3, Rome: TW, and KotOR.

Thats a rather cynical view. You do realise the demo is timed? So you must have expected it to cut out.

The old Windows interface kiked ass over this new Sims-like interface.

I'm very sad they did what they did, but it's still a good dame.

There were a buttload more non coaster rides, which is awesome. That was one of my complaint about RCT/2 was that there was a SERIOUS lack of flat rides. You can even ride all the flat rides that I tried, no idea about transport/3d movie type but would be cool if you could.

Interface sucks, and where are the hotkeys !? ;(

I remember pressing the backspace key to close a window, but now you have to do it manually, and the close buttons are small as hell. ;(

FINE THE INTERFACE SUCKS. JEESUS. Behind the interface there is a game you realise?

Back