Why not bundle Half Life 2 with a DX9 video card?

Zyphria

Reaction score
Probably a wee bit too late to work it out, but given the new graphics, selling Half Life 2 along with the best mid-range video card suited for the game would probably encourage sales. Maybe make it the "Developer's Edition" (sort of like a Collector's Edition). Sell them for $250 a piece.

Food for thought.

or a real one

edit: but seriously, i don't think many people would buy it this way.
radeon 9700's will be about that much by september....

Too many reasons. They'd be siding with one videocard givin' an impression it's better with that, etc. Then, most people want a card which suits what they want, and maybe not that many would buy. Too much trouble I'd think. All just my opinion though.

Originally posted by Zyphria
Probably a wee bit too late to work it out, but given the new graphics, selling Half Life 2 along with the best mid-range video card suited for the game would probably encourage sales. Maybe make it the "Developer's Edition" (sort of like a Collector's Edition). Sell them for $250 a piece.

Food for thought.
Why bundle HL2 with a mid-range card? HL2 is a top-of-the-line game, it should be bundled with a top-of-the-line card. It would be a good game to bundle with the R420.

Re: Re: Why not bundle Half Life 2 with a DX9 video card?

Originally posted by Jager
It would be a good game to bundle with the R420.
That would be rad

Originally posted by Zyphria

Food for thought.

That would not work. THink about it, that would mean VALVe would have to choose a company (ATi or nVidia) and would start a lot of riots across the internet. For 250 $, i wouldnt.

No, both nVidia and ATI could bundle HL2 with their cards as longs as they negotiate an agreement with Valve.

Still, wouldnt they take profit of the sellings...Valve could loose money..

I'd take the ati bundle..........sry nvidia....GeForce sucks compared to Radeon

anyway. It wouldn't be economically sound. Some people don't have mobo's that could support a vid card that would be bundled with HL2. Plus, if *if* for some reason HL2 doesnt sell very well, that a big loss for VALVe and the company that put up the videocards for the bundle....

I very much doubt that nvidia will lose all of its graphic clout...

Heh...somehow I doubt that. Especially since Nvidia receives funding from Microsoft. Anyway, the 5900 makes up for the crap they made with the rest of the FX line. In any case, this isn't exactly a plausable idea. Not profitable enough, too much extra work for the bundling, not enough incentive, etc.

-Vert

Other way would work. A video card and HL2 as a free bonus

Meh, either way I'm buying a new card when it comes out anyway.

The way nVidia screwed over 3DFX and didn't bring out anymore drivers I will not buy another nVidia card again.

When nVidia took over 3DFX there were heaps of Voodoo users and when XP came out they were all farked besides lame 3rd party drivers.

ATI IS the new king.

/me puts a bit of vasaline on his 9700 pro and shoves it up nVidia's asses.

We have to hope that nVidia will get their act together soon. Why? Because if they don't, ATI will pretty much have total control over the 3D card market, and thus won't have a major competitor to push them. So we won't see great advances in cards if ATI is the only major card maker, since they have no competition. It's just like microsoft's control over the OS market with Windows.

Originally posted by Sushi
We have to hope that nVidia will get their act together soon. Why? Because if they don't, ATI will pretty much have total control over the 3D card market, and thus won't have a major competitor to push them. So we won't see great advances in cards if ATI is the only major card maker, since they have no competition. It's just like microsoft's control over the OS market with Windows.

correct.

and then a new "ATI" will come along, and ATI will be like the old nVidia.

or like nvidia and 3dfx, etc etc etc

Back