Will there be a new Valve game this year ?

Gemini

Spy
Reaction score
So I was wondering, Valve has made a new game every year for quite some time now.
Do you think we will get one this year aswell? Or do you think they will skip this year because of all the new Hardware stuff ?

I'm honestly not sure, but I know Valve wouldn't push a game out of the doors early just to keep up this accidental "tradition".

I would also say I don't think the hardware movement will have impacted their game development all that much, they are totally different teams after all. The major thing which will likely contribute to a gap in game releases is the fact that both Valve and the industry are in a transitional period right now as technology is moved up a step from one "generation" to the next.

I hope they at least announce a game this year, even if they do in december xD

also what do you guys think their next game will be?
Half-Life 3? (just kidding)
L4D3?
new IP?
Ricochet 2?
Day of Defeat Global Offensive?

Something specifically designed for Virtual Reality headsets that will appear as a minor tech demo but transform into a full release due to consumer interest.

..or L4D3.

...or Nothing.

Well, Im sure it will be something maybe not big because they already got their hands full with steam boxes, But defiantly an announcement

Well, Im sure it will be something maybe not big because they already got their hands full with steam boxes, But defiantly an announcement
I would also say I don't think the hardware movement will have impacted their game development all that much, they are totally different teams after all. The major thing which will likely contribute to a gap in game releases is the fact that both Valve and the industry are in a transitional period right now as technology is moved up a step from one "generation" to the next.

As much as I would cream my jeans if they announced another Half-Life or Portal game, what I want most from Valve right now (game-wise) is some new IP. Preferably (in my opinion) something mostly linear and narrative-driven, since Valve are already sitting on top of such enormous multiplayer titles right now (L4D2, TF2, Dota 2).

Because of my dislike of multiplayer games, I tend not to get into many video games at all, which makes the singleplayer Valve games that much more special to me. I feel that I, as a gamer, am part of an ever-contracting niche of people who only really enjoy linear, singleplayer, narrative-rich games, so I would love nothing more than for Valve to swoop in and revisit this niche to which I belong.

(I guess I'm not so much answering the thread's question as much as making a selfish wishlist. Take this as my apology for going off-topic.)

As much as I would cream my jeans if they announced another Half-Life or Portal game, what I want most from Valve right now (game-wise) is some new IP. Preferably (in my opinion) something mostly linear and narrative-driven, since Valve are already sitting on top of such enormous multiplayer titles right now (L4D2, TF2, Dota 2).

Because of my dislike of multiplayer games, I tend not to get into many video games at all, which makes the singleplayer Valve games that much more special to me. I feel that I, as a gamer, am part of an ever-contracting niche of people who only really enjoy linear, singleplayer, narrative-rich games, so I would love nothing more than for Valve to swoop in and revisit this niche to which I belong.

(I guess I'm not so much answering the thread's question as much as making a selfish wishlist. Take this as my apology for going off-topic.)

This, this and this.

I don't think hardware/OS will detract from their video game efforts that much. While it does require coders they have been developing Source 2 for a while and probably have it finished or almost complete for it's first release. And i don't think level designers and modelers will help out with hardware that much.

That being said god only knows whether or not we will get L4D3 or HL3 this year. With the way valve is with not wanting to reveal anything too early when stuff changes(and we saw they had that problem a bit with portal 2) I wouldn't be surprised if HL3 and L4D3 just appeared on the steam store on the day of release.

yeah, hopefully some day the F-STOP puzzle mechanic gets its own game or they try to do Prospero again.

yeah, hopefully some day the F-STOP puzzle mechanic gets its own game or they try to do Prospero again.
Prospero? There is no reason at all to try that again. Why not something new? People always get excited for stuff devs canceled or take out of their games ...
probably thats why we see nothing of HL3 early.

People always get excited for stuff devs canceled or take out of their games ...
probably thats why we see nothing of HL3 early.
Speaking of which, what ever happened to the suction vent that was shown in trailer for Portal 2?

Maybe, if we're lucky; we'll see a bit more of Source 2 this year. or get some sort of announcement for a game. I wouldn't hold my breath for more than that...

Speaking of which, what ever happened to the suction vent that was shown in trailer for Portal 2?

it got cut from the game, and is probably one of many reasons why valve keeps stuff under wraps so much is so stuff like that doesn't happen again. Though i do have to wonder who thought it was a good idea in the first place.

Prospero? There is no reason at all to try that again. Why not something new? .

It had a concept that intrigues me, and with modern technology who knows what they could do with the different worlds and make them like.

It had a concept that intrigues me, and with modern technology who knows what they could do with the different worlds and make them like.

if u had watched the valvetime video youd know that many concepts of prospero are already used in other valve games and technology.

if u had watched the valvetime video youd know that many concepts of prospero are already used in other valve games and technology.
Well, mechanically, yes; most of the concepts were used in latter softwares. The story however, was not. I must admit, the idea of a Librarian-like keeper-of-worlds intrigues me.

A product announcement perhaps. A game release? incredibly doubtful.

Well, mechanically, yes; most of the concepts were used in latter softwares. The story however, was not. I must admit, the idea of a Librarian-like keeper-of-worlds intrigues me.

okay :D The thing with stuff like this is we only see or hear very little about these projects, so in reality they may not turned out as good as it sounded. I dont know. After all there is a reason they canceled the project.

Yeah, there's very little chance they're going to release a new game that nobody's heard anything about yet in the last five months of the year. I think we're much more likely to get an announcement sometime in the fall for something that's kind of a big deal coming out in 2015, around the same time the Steam Machines launch - maybe Half Life 3, maybe Left 4 Dead 3, maybe a new IP... it could be anything.

When you think about it, Valve doesn't have any new games right now that the general public knows they're working on. Rumors and leaks about HL3 and L4D3 have been flying around for years and it's probably safe to say both of those games are in development, but neither game has ever been officially confirmed outside of leaks, and as far as "professional" channels go it looks like they don't have any new games in the works - which we know isn't true, because there have been some pretty indisputable leaks and because the game developers need something more than updates to Dota 2 and TF2 to keep them going while the tech guys handle the Steam Machines.

Basically, what I'm getting at is that every new game Valve has publicly talked about over the past few years has now been released, and even though it's too soon to expect a new release this year, I think that before the year is out we'll see them talk about an upcoming title for 2015. It's getting to the point where they'll want to, because casting a blind eye to the leaks means that Valve's current lineup for the next few years only consists of the Steam Machine launch and some more updates to multiplayer games that are already out. And I doubt that's true, so I'm pretty confident that an announcement for something (that could be anything) is on the way.

agreed. But its obvious they work on HL3. Gabe hinted that so many times in addition to all the leaks.

okay :D The thing with stuff like this is we only see or hear very little about these projects, so in reality they may not turned out as good as it sounded. I dont know. After all there is a reason they canceled the project.

I'd put that down to technology constraints at the time. They wouldn't have been able to implement the stuff that would later be put in steam, and I'm not sure how well goldsource would have been able to create a bunch of different worlds that felt very distinct and alien with just blocky environments.

agreed. But its obvious they work on HL3. Gabe hinted that so many times in addition to all the leaks.

Well, yeah, we all know they're making it, but that doesn't mean it's going to be the next game they release. I would be over the moon to get a Half Life 3 announcement this year, and I think they have a great opportunity for one with Half Life 2's tenth birthday coming up in November, but Left 4 Dead 3 seems like it might be further along in development and I feel like we're probably more likely to see that one first, unless Valve's done an even better job at hiding Half Life 3 than we thought and the JIRA leaks are misleading.

A new Left 4 Dead game in Source 2 could be a convenient way to sneakily get public opinion on some elements they might reuse for Half Life 3, too, like weapon feedback or new shaders or different approaches to level design.

I thought I'm the only one (since I AM among my friends). I agree with all of the above statements and especially the very last line.

I thought they announced Ricochet 2 at E3! (Also, Ricochet is for real moneydollars on Steam, even though I've got non-steam HL patched with Ricochet for free. :/

Back